Cost of exterior concrete wall rendering and paint?

Markoh
Posted
Posted

Thanks everyone! It seemed high to me but sometimes it’s difficult to keep perspective when comparing labor and materials to the that in the  US, especially in recent years.

hk blues
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Markoh said:

Thanks everyone! It seemed high to me but sometimes it’s difficult to keep perspective when comparing labor and materials to the that in the  US, especially in recent years.

Anything North of 100k would be expensive.

65k for labour, 35k for materials seems reasonable. 

Edited by hk blues
  • Thanks 1

Lee
Posted
Posted

After the wall is rendered, I would guess that a fair bit of time would have to pass for the cement to dry before painting it.

Weeks, months perhaps.

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Lee said:

After the wall is rendered, I would guess that a fair bit of time would have to pass for the cement to dry before painting it.

Weeks, months perhaps.

Also a good idea to etch the concrete (muriatic acid mixed with water, or even straight vinegar), rinse, allow to completely dry, prime coat, then paint.  The etching gives the prime coat a good surface to prevent peeling.  In the US when I had to paint I would tell the paint guy; "I hate to paint so I want the best primer and paint you can recommend.  That way I wont have to go it again so soon."   

• Like 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Mike J said:

Also a good idea to etch the concrete (muriatic acid mixed with water, or even straight vinegar), rinse, allow to completely dry, prime coat, then paint.  The etching gives the prime coat a good surface to prevent peeling.  In the US when I had to paint I would tell the paint guy; "I hate to paint so I want the best primer and paint you can recommend.  That way I wont have to go it again so soon."   

Never heard that done before and I'm a retired Painter and Decorator over 50 years in the trade.

Need to let the rendered cement to cure about a week. Then a coat of cement primer. I would use this water based primer.

BOYSEN ® EcoPrimer™ B-105

Edited by jimeve
  • Like 3
  • Love it 1

Viking
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, jimeve said:

Never heard that done before and I'm a retired Painter and Decorator over 50 years in the trade.

Need to let the rendered cement to cure about a week. Then a coat of cement primer. I would use this water based primer.

BOYSEN ® EcoPrimer™ B-105

That's a bit surprising. Etching new concrete before painting is considered standard procedure. A quick google search will show this. Even the paint companies give that information.

Screenshot_20240405-065439.png

• Hmm thinking 2

jimeve
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Viking said:

A quick google search will show this. Even the paint companies give that information.

Screenshot_20240405-065439.png

Where does it say it needs etching with acid?????

jimeve
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, jimeve said:

I painted my house top to bottom 450 sm and never used acid to etch. Made sure there was no lose partials( Dust) Still good to this day. Just make sure the concrete has cured.

I'm certain Filipino painters don't even know what concrete etching is.

Viking
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, jimeve said:

It said neutralizing is needed if the concrete has dried less than 14-28 days in normal climate. Neutralizing is done with acid.

Screenshot_20240405-144108.png

Viking
Posted
Posted
55 minutes ago, jimeve said:

I painted my house top to bottom 450 sm and never used acid to etch. Made sure there was no lose partials( Dust) Still good to this day. Just make sure the concrete has cured.

I'm certain Filipino painters don't even know what concrete etching is.

That's great, but sometimes it may be unpractical to wait the 28 days to be sure the concrete has cured completely. In those cases you can use the neutralizer before you paint and still get a good result.

If Filipino painters know about this or not isn't actually something I would take as an evidence of anything :tiphat: