Australian convicted in 2013 rape of Filipina - DOJ

Lee
Posted
Posted

It took 11 years to legally sort this out???

The Department of Justice (DOJ) said on Friday that an Australian national was found guilty of raping a Filipino woman in 2013 and given a minimum 20-year prison sentence by a Bulacan court.

According to the DOJ, the Malolos Regional Trial Court Branch 78 found Ronald Cole guilty beyond reasonable doubt for rape and sentenced him to suffer the penalty of reclusion perpetua, or imprisonment from 20 to 40 years.

The court also ordered Cole, who has been permanently living in the Philippines since 2011 under a Special Resident Retiree's Visa, to pay his victim P225,000 in damages.

The complainant, who resided in the house owned by the accused at the time, said he offered her medicine when she was ill in January 2013 under the pretense that this would make her better. 

She said her body felt numb and very weak after taking the pill. The accused then raped and abused her, which happened more than 10 times, or at least three times a week. 

Cole denied the allegations. 

In convicting him, the court stressed that rape is a crime that is committed in isolation or secret.

“As such, the accused may be convicted of rape on the basis of the victim’s sole testimony, provided such testimony is logical, credible, consistent, and convincing,” the court was quoted as saying.

“Furthermore, against the straightforward and categorical testimony of the complainant, the accused only offered bare denial. [The] accused was not able to establish any ill motive that could have compelled the complainant to falsely accuse him of rape,” it added.

Justice Secretary Jesus Crispin Remulla hoped the case would serve as a deterrent against those who “continuously oppress the weak and vulnerable, especially women, for their [own] self-interest.”

Australian convicted in 2013 rape of Filipina - DOJ (msn.com)

• Like 1

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Lee said:

Australian convicted in 2013 rape of Filipina - DOJ (msn.com)

something seems a little 'off'.   If she was being raped repeatedly, why did she stay with him for over a month?  Of course I was not at the trial, but that just seemed to jump out at me

• Like 4
  • Hmm thinking 1

Gutenberg
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, craftbeerlover said:

something seems a little 'off'.   If she was being raped repeatedly, why did she stay with him for over a month?  Of course I was not at the trial, but that just seemed to jump out at me

Case is kinda too obvious. Taken a pill and then she had intercourse with him 10 times in a month. Welcome to the new era, Phillipines, where women consented to intercourse but 10 years later they don't consent anymore and call it rape and he court is siding with the accuser, because the accused wasn't able to provide evidence - hilarious. Better have the 'I consent' document printed and ready to sign before action.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
33 minutes ago, craftbeerlover said:

something seems a little 'off'

As is common, terrible journalism. 

Has the guy been in jail for 10 years awaiting trial? (not uncommon), was he on a no fly list and that is why the idiot is still in the Philippines? No comment from the OZ consulate? 

• Like 1

Lee
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Lee said:

The court also ordered Cole, who has been permanently living in the Philippines since 2011 under a Special Resident Retiree's Visa, to pay his victim P225,000 in damages.

Could his SRRV monies have been forfeited because of this?

• Like 1

MotorSarge
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Lee said:

Only in the PI baby!

gbmmbg
Posted
Posted

looks like the 20 years for rape is not his only problem. reading other articles it says "Aside from his conviction, Cole is also facing charges of qualified human trafficking involving minors pending before another court." 

• Like 1

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted

In convicting him, the court stressed that rape is a crime that is committed in isolation or secret.

“As such, the accused may be convicted of rape on the basis of the victim’s sole testimony, provided such testimony is logical, credible, consistent, and convincing,” the court was quoted as saying.

[The] accused was not able to establish any ill motive that could have compelled the complainant to falsely accuse him of rape,”

She lived with him, did not leave the house after being "repeatedly raped" 10 years later she said she was raped, he denies it and says that he has no idea why she would say that.   GUILTY

are you ?????? kidding me??   how the fck this country stays afloat just boggles my mind.  Farce of a country

Lee1154
Posted
Posted

I read about this in another newspaper.  They said the Aussie was 75 years old.  In that article, she said that he raped her 10 times per week.  Wow, is all I can say if he was able to have sex 10 times a week.

• Haha 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, craftbeerlover said:

That's no different to the case in many countries, though.  Rape is indeed one of those crimes which can often only be judged on the basis of one person's evidence versus another's.  

I see a few posters are questioning why she'd stay with him despite everything - the same question  could be asked of victims of domestic abuse.  

If it's true he is facing charges of human trafficking I wouldn't be shedding too many tears for him. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1