Returning to PI, need driver's license

philippinesgreat
Posted
Posted

Hi,

I am returning to PI and need a motorbike driving license. I have EU license for car and Thailand (2 yr "temporary") for bike. How do I get an unlimited license for bike in the Philippines?

Thank you

Lee
Posted
Posted

LTO's rules and how they are administered seem to differ quite a bit depending on which office that you go to.

I got a new PI DL a few months back. I signed up in the LTO online portal and took a written test. I printed out my test results and took them with me to the LTO. At the LTO, I had a medical check (joke) for 300 Phps.

After that it was simply paying fees, fingerprints ------wait a bit and then received a paper DL. Being a senior probably sped the process up a bit.

Be mindful of LTO's tight dress code.  No shorts, flops, etc. allowed.

• Like 3

Gutenberg
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Lee said:

LTO's rules and how they are administered seem to differ quite a bit depending on which office that you go to.

I got a new PI DL a few months back. I signed up in the LTO online portal and took a written test. I printed out my test results and took them with me to the LTO. At the LTO, I had a medical check (joke) for 300 Phps.

After that it was simply paying fees, fingerprints ------wait a bit and then received a paper DL. Being a senior probably sped the process up a bit.

Be mindful of LTO's tight dress code.  No shorts, flops, etc. allowed.

Was this processed based on an old driver license from your initial country or a real new driver license?

Lee
Posted
Posted

My local LTO never asked for nor looked at my DL from my home country.

They did take up my soon to be expiring PI DI and gave me its replacement.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Gutenberg said:

Was this processed based on an old driver license from your initial country or a real new driver license?

I got my PI license about 8-9 months ago.  This was my 1st license here and my UK was expired but it was a relatively painless exercise. I had to make an appointment for the practical and theory test - no Student license or proof of having taken lessons was required.  I took the theory 1st and passed and then moved onto the theory but I was given a pass without actually getting in a car!  Waited 30 minutes and got my (paper) license.  All done and dusted in a morning.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

philippinesgreat
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, hk blues said:

I got my PI license about 8-9 months ago.  This was my 1st license here and my UK was expired but it was a relatively painless exercise. I had to make an appointment for the practical and theory test - no Student license or proof of having taken lessons was required.  I took the theory 1st and passed and then moved onto the theory but I was given a pass without actually getting in a car!  Waited 30 minutes and got my (paper) license.  All done and dusted in a morning.  

That sounds promising. I have valid licenses for car (EU) and bike (Thai). Let's see where that puts me.

Gator
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, philippinesgreat said:

That sounds promising. I have valid licenses for car (EU) and bike (Thai). Let's see where that puts me.

You can use your EU and Thai licenses for 90 days from your date of arrival. Also, you will be able to use your EU to get your Philippines DL for cars and maybe your Thai license for the MTCY endorsement. If they honor your Thai license it’ll save you from taking the written and road tests. Only the medical is needed (which is a joke). 

As Lee pointed out, be sure to wear long pants and shoes or sneakers when going to the LTO office. T-shirts are ok as long as they don’t have any offensive writing on them and they’re not sleeveless. 

hk blues
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, philippinesgreat said:

I forgot about the medical - which is forgivable given its nature! 

philippinesgreat
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, hk blues said:

I forgot about the medical - which is forgivable given its nature! 

It seems the whole process was reasonable. If they won't convert my Thai bike license I'll be back and ask about how to prepare for tge theory.

Gutenberg
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, hk blues said:

Sounds good. Do you know if the ACR is required?