Mindanao And Is Ignorance Bliss

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

I have read on some forums where many of the non Filipinos who seem to take the position that they are the know all and end all and because they say it is so, then is must be so, say Mindanao is totally safe. Let me point out that just because a person has traveled to an area and came out unscathed does not make said area safe. I guess they do not read the news and maybe hide their heads in the sand. I also would guess that the locals know a heck of a lot more about what is safe than some know it all white guy who happened to get into an area and then out of it without a problem. I have been to many places in the US where idiots happened to get in and out in one piece but those before and after them got themselves killed or tortured so those that got in and got out must feel the place they had been to was safe but the dead, raped and murdered might have their own opinions on the subject. :yes:As we head into a new year and the elections are dead ahead, my opinion would be to stay out of most of Mindanao at least until the elections are over and then see how things progress from there but people have to do what they have to do and we all have to accept risks that we feel we are comfortable accepting. So would I go visit our family, heck yes because it is my life to do with as I wish but would I advise others to do so, not really unless they are already Mindanao wise and have family to look after their well being. My wife and I have been traveling to many parts of Mindanao during our 15plus years of marriage and while I have not been to every part, I have covered a lot of ground and have passed through quite a bit of Mindanao and have so far come out without a problem but does that make the whole place safe IMO, heck no. Every time we visit my wife's family the men have to patrol the whole village all night with guns to make sure no one decides to come and kidnap me or harm their sister because she is with me, now is that a really safe place, I do not think so or they would not feel the need to arm themselves and stay up all night in shifts and patrol. Now did I feel safe, of course I did, ignorance is bliss and since no one bothered me then it must be safe right! :no:Earlier this year we were invited to go visit my wife's family deep inside Bukidnon Mindanao and shortly before us going our family and many Mindanao friends all asked that I not travel to visit since the rebels were having armed conflicts with the military right below and then later above my wife's village and quite a few civilians as well as rebels and Military people had been killed and seriously injured in the gun battles yet none of it seemed to make it to the news except for a blip here and there. So would we now consider that area to be totally safe, :welcome: well the known facts are that the rebels are within a half days walk above my wife's families village, which makes them within hours by motorcycle and there are many known sympathizers below and above their village.While I read all these white guys spout off just how much they know about the Philippines, I would say that the locals know a heck of a lot more than we ever will and many of the locals are saying that us puti boys should stay the heck out of most parts of Mindanao and that things are only going to get worse and not better up to election time, from the bombs that have blown up right in Illigan city which used to be safe place to live for a white guy, to the bombs that have gone off outside Cagayan de Oro while my wife and I were there the year before last. I have watched things getting worse over the years and things are heating up and progressing and unless someone fixes the economy so that people no longer have to fight to survive, my bet would be on the knowledge of the locals who blend in and know much more than some of those puti know it all kanos. What do you think?

Sampaguita
Posted
Posted

I grew up in Mindanao and spent a good part of my adult life there and I have seen the changes over the last number of years. Mindanao seems to be an explosion waiting to happen. A lot will depend on the outcome of this years elections but up until that time Mindanao can go either way. I blend in and feel it is safe for most Filipinos but I do not want my husband to visit until after the elections with the hopes things will get better. I would guess that most parts of CDO and maybe Davao may be safe as well and some other places but why white people would want to take the risk when they can just avoid the area for now does not make a lot of sense to me.

retired
Posted
Posted

Having resided in Northern Mindanao for 7 years ( Cagayan De Oro ) i think the advice given above is accurate . CDO and Davao i would consider to be the better choices but common sense prevails here as elsewhere . I would like to visit Davao from CDO which means bus travel through regions that are approximate to where there has been trouble so will simply postpone until after elections anyway . I would not recommend traveling to Zamboanga and further south unless absolutely necessary as there have been problems in route from CDO . Just my Thoughts

Genius
Posted
Posted
Having resided in Northern Mindanao for 7 years ( Cagayan De Oro ) i think the advice given above is accurate . CDO and Davao i would consider to be the better choices but common sense prevails here as elsewhere . I would like to visit Davao from CDO which means bus travel through regions that are approximate to where there has been trouble so will simply postpone until after elections anyway . I would not recommend traveling to Zamboanga and further south unless absolutely necessary as there have been problems in route from CDO . Just my Thoughts
What about Augusan del sur ?What do we think about there ?

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
What about Augusan del sur ?What do we think about there ?
It seems that most of Mindanao may start to heat up as we head toward the elections. Augusan del sur will probably not be immune IMO but that does not mean it is not fairly safe most of the time. We all have to decide what chances we are willing to take in a given situation. Here is a recent story to give you an idea of some of the recent happenings in that area. http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/nation/regions/12/13/09/hostage-crisis-agusan-del-sur-endsWhile I would say that the area is probably fairly safe, as the elections draw near, I would try to stay away from there. The unique thing that Cagayan de Oro has going for it is one basic road in and then out so it is pretty easy for them to limit access and exit from the city. Here is a pretty good map to give you an idea of layout and since Augusan is up near the top, it is pretty far from the Autonomous Region of Muslim Mindanao.

post-40-12624804463963_thumb.png

mike
Posted
Posted
I have read on some forums where many of the non Filipinos who seem to take the position that they are the know all and end all and because they say it is so, then is must be so, say Mindanao is totally safe. Let me point out that just because a person has traveled to an area and came out unscathed does not make said area safe. I guess they do not read the news and maybe hide their heads in the sand. I also would guess that the locals know a heck of a lot more about what is safe than some know it all white guy who happened to get into an area and then out of it without a problem. I have been to many places in the US where idiots happened to get in and out in one piece but those before and after them got themselves killed or tortured so those that got in and got out must feel the place they had been to was safe but the dead, raped and murdered might have their own opinions on the subject. :yes:As we head into a new year and the elections are dead ahead, my opinion would be to stay out of most of Mindanao at least until the elections are over and then see how things progress from there but people have to do what they have to do and we all have to accept risks that we feel we are comfortable accepting. So would I go visit our family, heck yes because it is my life to do with as I wish but would I advise others to do so, not really unless they are already Mindanao wise and have family to look after their well being. My wife and I have been traveling to many parts of Mindanao during our 15plus years of marriage and while I have not been to every part, I have covered a lot of ground and have passed through quite a bit of Mindanao and have so far come out without a problem but does that make the whole place safe IMO, heck no. Every time we visit my wife's family the men have to patrol the whole village all night with guns to make sure no one decides to come and kidnap me or harm their sister because she is with me, now is that a really safe place, I do not think so or they would not feel the need to arm themselves and stay up all night in shifts and patrol. Now did I feel safe, of course I did, ignorance is bliss and since no one bothered me then it must be safe right! :no:Earlier this year we were invited to go visit my wife's family deep inside Bukidnon Mindanao and shortly before us going our family and many Mindanao friends all asked that I not travel to visit since the rebels were having armed conflicts with the military right below and then later above my wife's village and quite a few civilians as well as rebels and Military people had been killed and seriously injured in the gun battles yet none of it seemed to make it to the news except for a blip here and there. So would we now consider that area to be totally safe, :welcome: well the known facts are that the rebels are within a half days walk above my wife's families village, which makes them within hours by motorcycle and there are many known sympathizers below and above their village.While I read all these white guys spout off just how much they know about the Philippines, I would say that the locals know a heck of a lot more than we ever will and many of the locals are saying that us puti boys should stay the heck out of most parts of Mindanao and that things are only going to get worse and not better up to election time, from the bombs that have blown up right in Illigan city which used to be safe place to live for a white guy, to the bombs that have gone off outside Cagayan de Oro while my wife and I were there the year before last. I have watched things getting worse over the years and things are heating up and progressing and unless someone fixes the economy so that people no longer have to fight to survive, my bet would be on the knowledge of the locals who blend in and know much more than some of those puti know it all kanos. What do you think?
I think your sounding like one of those Puti Know it all kanos, just my opinion. I think this topic transplanted from "another forum" was far better covered there than here.The Bukidnon problems you identified are NPA issues. Anyone know of a foreigner being targeted by the NPA?I know of more than a few foreigners who regularly make the road trip to Davao from CDO. I am one, with no problems then again that qualifies me as a Puti Know it all foreigner.More than 40 political killings in the very small island of Masbate this year, lots of NPA etc no warnings about foreign travel. Then take a look at bandit country of north luzon where daily murders take place all linked to local politics.I can only say I find Mindanao safer based upon living and working there for a few years, then again that is what being a Puti foreigner know it all kano is about.Anyone not get the chance to visit Dapitan and Dipolog areas west of the CDO/Davao line is missing a treat and a very safe one at that.perhaps instead of third hand opinions from locals (does that make them Puri know it alls as well )who believe that next village is far far away and in a different time warp forming that judgment. Why not take equal credence with Puti know it all foreigners who live in the places that are marked as unsafe.As for politics ...stay out of it. we have no political rights and if you want to be a victims of all that is claimed then politics is a sure way of achieving it.Then again I am just a full time resident in these parts so what the hell do I know!!As for commonsense avoidance of any areas that are in strife, well that should not come as any surprise to anyone

Sampaguita
Posted
Posted
I think your sounding like one of those Puti Know it all kanos, just my opinion. I think this topic transplanted from "another forum" was far better covered there than here.The Bukidnon problems you identified are NPA issues. Anyone know of a foreigner being targeted by the NPA?I know of more than a few foreigners who regularly make the road trip to Davao from CDO. I am one, with no problems then again that qualifies me as a Puti Know it all foreigner.More than 40 political killings in the very small island of Masbate this year, lots of NPA etc no warnings about foreign travel. Then take a look at bandit country of north luzon where daily murders take place all linked to local politics.I can only say I find Mindanao safer based upon living and working there for a few years, then again that is what being a Puti foreigner know it all kano is about.Anyone not get the chance to visit Dapitan and Dipolog areas west of the CDO/Davao line is missing a treat and a very safe one at that.perhaps instead of third hand opinions from locals (does that make them Puri know it alls as well )who believe that next village is far far away and in a different time warp forming that judgment. Why not take equal credence with Puti know it all foreigners who live in the places that are marked as unsafe.As for politics ...stay out of it. we have no political rights and if you want to be a victims of all that is claimed then politics is a sure way of achieving it.Then again I am just a full time resident in these parts so what the hell do I know!!As for commonsense avoidance of any areas that are in strife, well that should not come as any surprise to anyone
I am a Filipino and it is exactly puti guys like you that are the problem that lead others to go foolishly where they should not go. Maybe one day we will read about you as well. I hope not but telling other whites to do as you do is very foolish in my opinion and I am not a puti foreigner. I wonder how you will feel if someone takes your advice and ends up dead or kidnapped, maybe pretty smug since it was not you. Election time is no time for foreigners who stand out like sore thumbs to be traveling around Mindanao but I am not a know it all puti foreigner so maybe you know better.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
First let me say that the topic was on here first and was posted by one of our members Manabouttown Here and then Paul was then on here reading and then started the same topic on his forum. I only added to it when someone brought it to my attention that some of you puti know it all guys were telling people how safe Mindanao is when police, news people and many of the locals I know who happen to live there are telling me how it is heading toward a blow up, but I would guess you and some of the others must know better because you have traveled through there on occasion. How long is it that you have been in Mindanao? Is it over the 15 plus year that I have been going back and forth to the Philippines and traveled all around many parts of Mindanao? I have watched the changes over the years, I have been in close contact with military and police personnel who happen to be friends and family and they tell me to stay the heck out of most of Mindanao excluding CDO and some other close in areas, but since you live there and run a bar, then you surely know better than any of them do. Mike I sure hope the day does not come that we read about you or one of the other know it alls being in the wrong place at the wrong time and maybe after the elections things will get better but I seriously doubt it since it has been deteriorating over the last 15 plus years and the NPA and other Muslim terror groups seem to be getting more emboldened and not less, but again since you live in CDO and make your living off the ladies of Mindanao, the locals and the tourist then I guess you really need to make sure people keep visiting to protect your business interests but do not do it at the expense of some newbies that will take your word as the know all and end all because that would just be a wrong thing to do IMO.

FlyAway
Posted
Posted
First let me say that the topic was on here first and was posted by one of our members Manabouttown Here and then Paul was then on here reading and then started the same topic on his forum. I only added to it when someone brought it to my attention that some of you puti know it all guys were telling people how safe Mindanao is when police, news people and many of the locals I know who happen to live there are telling me how it is heading toward a blow up, but I would guess you and some of the others must know better because you have traveled through there on occasion. How long is it that you have been in Mindanao? Is it over the 15 plus year that I have been going back and forth to the Philippines and traveled all around many parts of Mindanao? I have watched the changes over the years, I have been in close contact with military and police personnel who happen to be friends and family and they tell me to stay the heck out of most of Mindanao excluding CDO and some other close in areas, but since you live there and run a bar, then you surely know better than any of them do. Mike I sure hope the day does not come that we read about you or one of the other know it alls being in the wrong place at the wrong time and maybe after the elections things will get better but I seriously doubt it since it has been deteriorating over the last 15 plus years and the NPA and other Muslim terror groups seem to be getting more emboldened and not less, but again since you live in CDO and make your living off the ladies of Mindanao, the locals and the tourist then I guess you really need to make sure people keep visiting to protect your business interests but do not do it at the expense of some newbies that will take your word as the know all and end all because that would just be a wrong thing to do IMO.
One your external link I am the last to post in that thread. I was not trying to come off as a know it all about Mindanao. While I like my wife's home town and would like to start a business there, I know at this time it is not really possible with the current state of affairs. All I was saying is trust what your family says. We had a discussion about my safety and if things got to hot then we were out of there.

TheMason
Posted
Posted

Whenever talk of travel to Mindanao comes up, some people tell me not to go there, others say it is safe. The Filipinos I've talked to about this have ALL told me not to take the chance traveling there. They also warn me to avoid Angeles, and Quiapo and Tondo in Manila. I'll take the word of Filipinos that care about my safety over the word of a foreigner, know-it-all or otherwise, when it comes to where its safe to go and where it isn't. There's plenty of places to see in the world, I can live with not seeing Mindanao.