Mindanao And Is Ignorance Bliss

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
I am not sure of the area of the bombings but my wife is in the city now,haven't heard from her today so if shes alive I will ask her about it.:thumbs-up-smile:Boss Man, Our prayers are with you and the safety of your wife. Respectfully -- Joaquin and Judy
Thank youI had a sms later today so all is good

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
I am not sure of the area of the bombings but my wife is in the city now,haven't heard from her today so if shes alive I will ask her about it.:(Boss Man, Our prayers are with you and the safety of your wife. Respectfully -- Joaquin and Judy
Thank youI had a sms later today so all is good
I am very happy to hear your wife is OK. :541:The sad part of all this is that so many people are being affected by all the violence that is going on in Mindanao. I know that I did not go with my wife to visit our family last year because I feared for their safety if I was there and they told my wife that they did not wish me to come because they feared for my safety, so I did not get to see them and we did not have the usual family party when we are there, so not as much money was spent and our family did not have the usual good time and good food. I guess what I am saying is that I am sure many other men married to a woman from Mindanao might have also not gone if they or their families felt it was unsafe and some would have gone anyway and so far no foreigner has been killed that I know of but all one has to do is be in the wrong place at the wrong time when one of those bombs goes off or when someone decides to shoot someone with an M16 and then they could end up collateral damage. It is also possible that in order to create a failure of elections that some groups will decide to kill some foreigners which has been speculated within certain groups from what someone who should know told me. So safety in Mindanao during this time is a big question in my mind and I really hope things will cool down after the elections but now that the Palace wants to divide up Mindanao, I feel things will only get worse for a while until either the government deals with the situation harshly, or the Muslim people get what they want and that is for all of Mindanao to become another country, their country.

sjp52
Posted
Posted

Lee When are the elections over with. I was thinking of going back to CDO some time in March.

post-443-12647795314755_thumb.jpg

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Lee When are the elections over with. I was thinking of going back to CDO some time in March.
The elections will be May 10th from what I have been told, and I believe CDO would be safe no matter when because the mayor and other officials seem to have many Muslim friends who look out for CDO but with that said, it is probably best to be on your toes when there as well and to pay attention to people around you and what they are doing. My wife and I go to CDO all the time and I have a habit of walking around town with her or alone and I have never had a problem and I do not think there will be any during the elections, but a few years ago while we were in CDO a bomb blew up on the outside of town, so no place can be 100% safe and that even goes for in our own countries, but while CDO is in Mindanao, I feel like it is not and it is safe IMO and we all have to decide for ourselves what risks we are willing to take in life and going to CDO should be 99 plus percent safe, again IMO.Now what do I mean by keeping your eyes open, someone has to place the bombs, so if a person leaves a package of any type unattended, or you walk into a place and see a package which is unattended then get your butt out and report it to the manager to play it safe. Always better to be safe than sorry and I even reported a bag that looked like garbage on the floor in a train in NY to the police because it looked to be out of place on an otherwise clean train.

sjp52
Posted
Posted
The elections will be May 10th from what I have been told, and I believe CDO would be safe no matter when because the mayor and other officials seem to have many Muslim friends who look out for CDO but with that said, it is probably best to be on your toes when there as well and to pay attention to people around you and what they are doing. My wife and I go to CDO all the time and I have a habit of walking around town with her or alone and I have never had a problem and I do not think there will be any during the elections, but a few years ago while we were in CDO a bomb blew up on the outside of town, so no place can be 100% safe and that even goes for in our own countries, but while CDO is in Mindanao, I feel like it is not and it is safe IMO and we all have to decide for ourselves what risks we are willing to take in life and going to CDO should be 99 plus percent safe, again IMO.Now what do I mean by keeping your eyes open, someone has to place the bombs, so if a person leaves a package of any type unattended, or you walk into a place and see a package which is unattended then get your butt out and report it to the manager to play it safe. Always better to be safe than sorry and I even reported a bag that looked like garbage on the floor in a train in NY to the police because it looked to be out of place on an otherwise clean train.
Thanks Lee. I will be there after the 10th so i won,t worry about it.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Thanks Lee. I will be there after the 10th so i won,t worry about it.
You should be good to go no matter what, but I think you said March and I said May. Either way you should be OK in March and you should be fine after May 10th as long as the elections go good, so I would say to try to wait until after May 20th to play it safe in case their is a failure of elections or a fight over a recount.If you can, try to be in Cebu March 12 for our forum get together, it would be good to meet you and that way you can get to meet a lot of the members as well. Just stay safe no matter what or when you go. :)

• 4 weeks later...
Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

So how safe can it be to be in Davao if so many people are walking around in a menacing maner. Davao goons brandishing firearms openly in cityGuns and goons are likely to mark the hotly-contested Davao City polls in May as many armed men have been openly going around Davao City, openly brandishing their firearms. This was bared yesterday by Team Nograles that said persons identified with the current Davao City high officials are roaming the city carrying guns, in broad daylight, despite the Commission on Elections (Comelec) gun ban order being in effect.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

And now it seems the violence is spreading to otherwise safe areas. Anyone down that way to give us a first hand report? Communist rebels opened fire on two army vehicles in the remote southern Philippines, killing four troops, an official said Thursday.A civilian caught in the crossfire was among four wounded in the ambush Wednesday in Agusan del Sur province, where the rebel New People's Army has stepped up raids on police outposts and military convoys, said army spokesman Maj. Randolph Cabangbang.The rebels, believed to be numbering about 5,000 fighters, have waged a 41-year rural-based insurgency that has led to human rights abuses and has stunted economic development.More violence in Mindanao