Living Or Existing

Panserhansen
Posted
Posted

So what am I saying, if a person wants to live in first world luxury, then those people probably should not consider moving to the Philippines because once you step outside your home or condo, then you will still be in a third world country in most places within the Philippines.....

I think you're missing out a lot buddy!Of course everything don't shine here. But the thing about RP is that you can get some luxury items for a lot less here than in the west. Where in a western country can you get oysters for 55 peso/kilo, like in Metro Ayala? Or other fresh seafood? Restaurant visits in general? How much will a night out in the west cost us? I visited Norway in December, which is the most expensive country in the world. A night out with my friends at a regular sports bar and some pub food cost me 8000 peso. The same here would cost me around 800 peso. Imported stuff though are expensive, you won't find exlusive wines or cheeses cheap here. Employees are expensive in the west. How much would you have to pay a maid back home? Most of us can only dream about it. Your own driver? Delivering your laundry and picking it up next day - or having someone else do it? How much does it cost to have an hour massage back home? Here you can get one for 150-250 peso. You won't have to save up to go to a dentist, beauty parlour or having a manicure or pedicure here.Or a taxi - that's something of a luxury back home. Here I can take a taxi for half the cost of a subway tickets back home. Renting a private boat and go on a boat trip with a staff of 5 persons, what would that cost back home?IMO, you can get absolutely pampered in luxury here for a cost that you can dream about back home.
  • Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

So what am I saying, if a person wants to live in first world luxury, then those people probably should not consider moving to the Philippines because once you step outside your home or condo, then you will still be in a third world country in most places within the Philippines.....

I think you're missing out a lot buddy!Of course everything don't shine here. But the thing about RP is that you can get some luxury items for a lot less here than in the west. Where in a western country can you get oysters for 55 peso/kilo, like in Metro Ayala? Or other fresh seafood? Restaurant visits in general? How much will a night out in the west cost us? I visited Norway in December, which is the most expensive country in the world. A night out with my friends at a regular sports bar and some pub food cost me 8000 peso. The same here would cost me around 800 peso. Imported stuff though are expensive, you won't find exlusive wines or cheeses cheap here. Employees are expensive in the west. How much would you have to pay a maid back home? Most of us can only dream about it. Your own driver? Delivering your laundry and picking it up next day - or having someone else do it? How much does it cost to have an hour massage back home? Here you can get one for 150-250 peso. You won't have to save up to go to a dentist, beauty parlour or having a manicure or pedicure here.Or a taxi - that's something of a luxury back home. Here I can take a taxi for half the cost of a subway tickets back home. Renting a private boat and go on a boat trip with a staff of 5 persons, what would that cost back home?IMO, you can get absolutely pampered in luxury here for a cost that you can dream about back home.
Good point Lars :th_thbestpost:

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Exactly my friend, we all see it as different things but I have yet to see a home or condo here that has been made to US standards, so while some things cost less, those things often come with the price of acceptance of how things are done here, such as cable is way less but there is nothing for me to watch most times so we buy cheap movies or use my slingbox, and then taxis definitely cost a lot less but most are run down death traps which back home I would not even consider getting into, yet here we accept them because we have to and my wife and I often stand in line and try to position ourselves for one of the newer taxis, :th_thbestpost: as for a manicure or pedicure, one would have to be a very big risk taker to have those done here IMO since my neighbor may lose a finger from having a manicure because of the infection that it resulted in due to lack of proper sterilization, yet he has been having it done to him for years now and this was the first problem. Luck of the draw at times.As for the maids, how many stories have we read in the news and on forums of expats being set up for anything from robbery to murder by a maid they did not know, so yes we can have a maid but I would never want one, yet that might be a luxury some would like to have. I could also debate the laundry services of some because they often try to do it on the cheap which often wears the clothing out quickly and really does not get many items as clean as they need to be and besides that they are cleaned in cold water and sometimes dirty cold water which really does not kill germs and might even promote them, and speaking of germs, it is a real turn off to me when the people who do services such as driving taxis, cleaning our clothing, serving our food etc, and are coughing and sneezing because they cannot afford to take off from work, but again we accept that because it is a way of life here. I shudder to think how some of the food might be treated on the way to the market or prepared in the kitchens, but again we accept those things in order to live here. Life is all about choices, and we all have to decide which things we can live with and which we cannot and that is why we see so many crying babies on some forums who complain about everything here, the food, the service, the roads, the urinating on the streets, the rats in even some of the finest restaurants, and we can go on and on, so while we can have some things here that we cannot have back in our home countries, it comes with a price of not being too fussy and of willing to accept how things are done here and many who even suggest a luxury lifestyle, may not know of what they are getting themselves in for IMO. Now with all that said, none of those things above make me not wish to live in the Philippines because I can accept them or avoid them, but western style luxury it is not IMO.
  • Like 1

Singers
Posted
Posted
Now with all that said, none of those things above make me not wish to live in the Philippines because I can accept them or avoid them, but western style luxury it is not IMO.
No -- it is NOT Western style luxury -- Dinner at the Connaught - Le Bernardin or a gourmet Paris weekend BUT and a BIG BUT the cold efficent service offered and the obligatory BIG tip required in the West makes a good PI restaurant meal much more enjoyable because of the charm of the people and those flirting eyes and lovely smiles -- Bliss...UK Tom 7_4_17[1].gif

Panserhansen
Posted
Posted
Exactly my friend, we all see it as different things but I have yet to see a home or condo here that has been made to US standards, so while some things cost less, those things often come with the price of acceptance of how things are done here, such as cable is way less but there is nothing for me to watch most times so we buy cheap movies or use my slingbox, and then taxis definitely cost a lot less but most are run down death traps which back home I would not even consider getting into, yet here we accept them because we have to and my wife and I often stand in line and try to position ourselves for one of the newer taxis, :lol: as for a manicure or pedicure, one would have to be a very big risk taker to have those done here IMO since my neighbor may lose a finger from having a manicure because of the infection that it resulted in due to lack of proper sterilization, yet he has been having it done to him for years now and this was the first problem. Luck of the draw at times.As for the maids, how many stories have we read in the news and on forums of expats being set up for anything from robbery to murder by a maid they did not know, so yes we can have a maid but I would never want one, yet that might be a luxury some would like to have. I could also debate the laundry services of some because they often try to do it on the cheap which often wears the clothing out quickly and really does not get many items as clean as they need to be and besides that they are cleaned in cold water and sometimes dirty cold water which really does not kill germs and might even promote them, and speaking of germs, it is a real turn off to me when the people who do services such as driving taxis, cleaning our clothing, serving our food etc, and are coughing and sneezing because they cannot afford to take off from work, but again we accept that because it is a way of life here. I shudder to think how some of the food might be treated on the way to the market or prepared in the kitchens, but again we accept those things in order to live here. Life is all about choices, and we all have to decide which things we can live with and which we cannot and that is why we see so many crying babies on some forums who complain about everything here, the food, the service, the roads, the urinating on the streets, the rats in even some of the finest restaurants, and we can go on and on, so while we can have some things here that we cannot have back in our home countries, it comes with a price of not being too fussy and of willing to accept how things are done here and many who even suggest a luxury lifestyle, may not know of what they are getting themselves in for IMO. Now with all that said, none of those things above make me not wish to live in the Philippines because I can accept them or avoid them, but western style luxury it is not IMO.
Are we living in the same city? :th_thbestpost: Very big risk taker to take a manicure? I don't seem to remember any trouble my 16 months here..
  • Like 1

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Exactly my friend, we all see it as different things but I have yet to see a home or condo here that has been made to US standards, so while some things cost less, those things often come with the price of acceptance of how things are done here, such as cable is way less but there is nothing for me to watch most times so we buy cheap movies or use my slingbox, and then taxis definitely cost a lot less but most are run down death traps which back home I would not even consider getting into, yet here we accept them because we have to and my wife and I often stand in line and try to position ourselves for one of the newer taxis, :lol: as for a manicure or pedicure, one would have to be a very big risk taker to have those done here IMO since my neighbor may lose a finger from having a manicure because of the infection that it resulted in due to lack of proper sterilization, yet he has been having it done to him for years now and this was the first problem. Luck of the draw at times.As for the maids, how many stories have we read in the news and on forums of expats being set up for anything from robbery to murder by a maid they did not know, so yes we can have a maid but I would never want one, yet that might be a luxury some would like to have. I could also debate the laundry services of some because they often try to do it on the cheap which often wears the clothing out quickly and really does not get many items as clean as they need to be and besides that they are cleaned in cold water and sometimes dirty cold water which really does not kill germs and might even promote them, and speaking of germs, it is a real turn off to me when the people who do services such as driving taxis, cleaning our clothing, serving our food etc, and are coughing and sneezing because they cannot afford to take off from work, but again we accept that because it is a way of life here. I shudder to think how some of the food might be treated on the way to the market or prepared in the kitchens, but again we accept those things in order to live here. Life is all about choices, and we all have to decide which things we can live with and which we cannot and that is why we see so many crying babies on some forums who complain about everything here, the food, the service, the roads, the urinating on the streets, the rats in even some of the finest restaurants, and we can go on and on, so while we can have some things here that we cannot have back in our home countries, it comes with a price of not being too fussy and of willing to accept how things are done here and many who even suggest a luxury lifestyle, may not know of what they are getting themselves in for IMO. Now with all that said, none of those things above make me not wish to live in the Philippines because I can accept them or avoid them, but western style luxury it is not IMO.
Are we living in the same city? :th_thbestpost: Very big risk taker to take a manicure? I don't seem to remember any trouble my 16 months here..
My neighbor has not had trouble for about 3 years now with a manicure once a month, but people who work here, doing manicures, cutting hair or even possibly in hospitals or doctors office at times, might cut corners because good sterilization cost money and takes time and time is money and extra instruments cost money to own, so you can bet money they might not do it correctly here most times and especially if they have a customer before you and no time to clean the instruments. We all take our chances here at times but I even bring my own razor when I get a haircut here and I would sure buy my own tools if I was to ever get a manicure here. JMHO and I think you know me well enough to know that I take necessary chances all the time yet I avoid unnecessary ones whenever possible.
  • Like 1

Singers
Posted
Posted
My neighbor has not had trouble for about 3 years now with a manicure once a month, but people who work here, doing manicures, cutting hair or even possibly in hospitals or doctors office at times, might cut corners because good sterilization cost money and takes time and time is money and extra instruments cost money to own, so you can bet money they might not do it correctly here most times and especially if they have a customer before you and no time to clean the instruments. We all take our chances here at times but I even bring my own razor when I get a haircut here and I would sure buy my own tools if I was to ever get a manicure here. JMHO and I think you know me well enough to know that I take necessary chances all the time yet I avoid unnecessary ones whenever possible.
Good advice to bring self sterilised irons and a small Medic pack is a must have for me - containing sterilised scalpel/scizors/hypo etc when traveling any part of Asia. S'Pore excluded...Xinfection AND Xcontamination are words that have NO application in the average Dentist's practice in PI never mind manicurist or cooks ... culture dish?th_whatsup.gif GET the point?? SugarwareZ-035.gifUK Tom

cebuexpat
Posted
Posted

I also think living in luxury, depends alot of what kind of life you lived in your country.. I lived in a small farming town, with a 1800 sq ft. 3 bedroom, two bathroom, kitchen , untility, and living room. It was vinyl siding and tile and hardwood floors. No big landscaping or anything. Now for me, that was luxury. I was considered one of the middle to high class tentants on my road. Now if i took that same place and put it in a city, I would be the scurge of the street..... So it really depends on what you come from to what you will come to..I can say that i could live on 1000 USD a month if i wanted to. BUT, I already bought a condo, already purchased a car, already have furnishing, already have my 13a. If i had none of those things, I could not do it... It would probally take more in the 1500 to 2000 range for me. But also i like to go night out alot... So there you go.... Different strokes for different folks. So IMO you could live a decent luxury from my standard of living on 1500 to 2000 per month... OR really tighten up and live on 1200 to 1500...Now all that being said, no one has hit on this point, which I will make. From experience I can tell you... IF you like the girls, ( which I do ) NO WAY can you live on 1000 USD per month.... That is a big factor you have to think about. Most of us come here for the girls, ( I SAID MOST ) and really dont figure them into our cost of living..... THEY ARE EXPENSIVE.... Dont care if you marry them, or bar fine them.... They are expensive.... Most have absolutely nothing to bring into the relationship, and are needing everything from it.... Now you can have two choices in this matter. Take care of only her, and fall out with the parents and tell them, you dont come around me, I wont come around you. ( Which this was my choice, after so many times of being screwed.) Or help the parents. If you dont help, I can assure you, you will be the blacksheep., talked about, and put down. Maybe not to your face. But you will. This dont bother me, so I dont care if they like me or not. They benefit me in no way at all in my life.... But remember, you will have to face this and think about it when doing a budget for here in The Philippines...Finally, I could live on 1000 USD per month,,, IF they close down all the bikini bars, local pubs, expat hangouts, karokee bars, and make all the girls start wearing covers over them like the muslium women do...... BUT THATS JUST ME>>>>>>>> I am weak, stupid, irresponsible, BUT I AM VERY HAPPYthumbs-up-smile.gif I dont make excuses for myself, nor do i care, I dont need to, But i am nice guy, help you with anything you ask of me. cheers.gif

MikeB
Posted
Posted

DISCLAMER: I don't live there, never lived there (visited several times), and don't pretend to be an expert on this - or anything.From what I've seen there are many things that are much less expensive (taxis, food, clothes), things that are about the same (upscale gym memberships), and things that are much more expensive (electronics). The prices I saw for Sony, Sansung HDTVs at a mall in Cebu were about double what they go for here. Maybe that was a kano price but I don't think so, I've read and heard many times that electronics are much more expensive there. When I retire next year my monthly income will be in the P100k area, depending on the plunging exchange rate - that is my biggest concern. I certainly don't expect a luxurious lifestyle but there are things that I can do with that money there that I simply cannot do here as well as the many "intangibles" (see above post from cebuexpat) that make life more desirable there for me. No way of knowing for sure without taking the plunge.

Singers
Posted
Posted
DISCLAMER: I don't live there, never lived there (visited several times), and don't pretend to be an expert on this - or anything.From what I've seen there are many things that are much less expensive (taxis, food, clothes), things that are about the same (upscale gym memberships), and things that are much more expensive (electronics). The prices I saw for Sony, Sansung HDTVs at a mall in Cebu were about double what they go for here. Maybe that was a kano price but I don't think so, I've read and heard many times that electronics are much more expensive there. When I retire next year my monthly income will be in the P100k area, depending on the plunging exchange rate - that is my biggest concern. I certainly don't expect a luxurious lifestyle but there are things that I can do with that money there that I simply cannot do here as well as the many "intangibles" (see above post from cebuexpat) that make life more desirable there for me. No way of knowing for sure without taking the plunge.
I have found electronics, "the expensive things", are in the main "One off" purchases and the daily necessities are a lot cheaper. One cannot put a price on the "smiles per mile", from complete strangers, one benefits from in PI. AND the flirting eyes!!!.Ask any Brit and 1 a mile smile is a UK surprise and as my local butcher said when we discussed this "the person that does smile is probably very strange and to be avoided". :whistling:UK Tom