Living Or Existing

Jake
Posted
Posted
I also think living in luxury, depends alot of what kind of life you lived in your country.. I lived in a small farming town, with a 1800 sq ft. 3 bedroom, two bathroom, kitchen , untility, and living room. It was vinyl siding and tile and hardwood floors. No big landscaping or anything. Now for me, that was luxury. I was considered one of the middle to high class tentants on my road. Now if i took that same place and put it in a city, I would be the scurge of the street..... So it really depends on what you come from to what you will come to..I can say that i could live on 1000 USD a month if i wanted to. BUT, I already bought a condo, already purchased a car, already have furnishing, already have my 13a. If i had none of those things, I could not do it... It would probally take more in the 1500 to 2000 range for me. But also i like to go night out alot... So there you go.... Different strokes for different folks. So IMO you could live a decent luxury from my standard of living on 1500 to 2000 per month... OR really tighten up and live on 1200 to 1500...Now all that being said, no one has hit on this point, which I will make. From experience I can tell you... IF you like the girls, ( which I do ) NO WAY can you live on 1000 USD per month.... That is a big factor you have to think about. Most of us come here for the girls, ( I SAID MOST ) and really dont figure them into our cost of living..... THEY ARE EXPENSIVE.... Dont care if you marry them, or bar fine them.... They are expensive.... Most have absolutely nothing to bring into the relationship, and are needing everything from it.... Now you can have two choices in this matter. Take care of only her, and fall out with the parents and tell them, you dont come around me, I wont come around you. ( Which this was my choice, after so many times of being screwed.) Or help the parents. If you dont help, I can assure you, you will be the blacksheep., talked about, and put down. Maybe not to your face. But you will. This dont bother me, so I dont care if they like me or not. They benefit me in no way at all in my life.... But remember, you will have to face this and think about it when doing a budget for here in The Philippines...Finally, I could live on 1000 USD per month,,, IF they close down all the bikini bars, local pubs, expat hangouts, karokee bars, and make all the girls start wearing covers over them like the muslium women do...... BUT THATS JUST ME>>>>>>>> I am weak, stupid, irresponsible, BUT I AM VERY HAPPYthumbs-up-smile.gif I dont make excuses for myself, nor do i care, I dont need to, But i am nice guy, help you with anything you ask of me. cheers.gif
Hello Cebuexpat,Well, you certainly redefined the term "I've been there, done that". You have brought it upto the highest level. I believe many expats who are thinking of going into business or evenexpats that are just starting a life of retirement there, could learn many lessons from all your early experiences. You could probably teach at a prestigious Cebu university to the local business majors about your follies and successes. Looks like it's all behind you nowand have the option to have many luxuries or just go native for a few days. In my case, my military pension plus future social security benefits would amount to $3,300 per month. Considered middle class (low) in southern California but having luxuries here will be few and far between. I choose not to work anymore which is part of my retirement plan.Instead, my goal is to get back on track with health concerns by playing a lot of tennis andsailing. Which is very doable in the Philippines.My friend Tom from Texas should be commended for his extensive research on upper-middleclass lifestyle in PI. Judy and I can certainly have those same daily luxuries but don't havethe mindset to be one of those Filipino "aristrocrats" with all the bling-bling. Instead we must realize that having a substantial savings account should be our monthly priority. I'mhoping to escrow at least 30 percent per month for any sh_t that hits the fan emergencies.The bottom line is this: most of us are approaching our senior years and would like to retirein peace (less tax, less stress, less of everything). Most us are smart enough to really stretchour hard earned dollars there. In my mind, having a strong dollar account saved up (like Artis doing) is a luxury itself. My profile says -- approaching my senior years but will get younger with my companion by myside, watching the tropical sunset as well as the sunrise. I hope to achieve that level of tropicalbliss based on your profound quote: "BUT THATS JUST ME>>>>>>>> I am weak, stupid, irresponsible, BUT I AM VERY HAPPY"Respectfully -- Jake

Tom in Texas
Posted
Posted
... having a substantial savings account should be our monthly priority. I'mhoping to escrow at least 30 percent per month for any sh_t that hits the fan emergencies.The bottom line is this: most of us are approaching our senior years and would like to retirein peace (less tax, less stress, less of everything). Most us are smart enough to really stretchour hard earned dollars there. In my mind, having a strong dollar account saved up (like Artis doing) is a luxury itself.
Jake, I agree with you 100%. Being inthe PI without savings is suicidal. I hope I can manage my money as well as you and Art. When I was working, it was easy to have the attitude of "what the hell, I can make it up next year." But, once you retire, you cannot afford to make many mistakes before you have erased all your options other than trying to just survive.Tom in Texas

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

Tom,I'm not there yet, but getting there! http://philippines-e...tyle_emoticons/default/SugarwareZ-003.gif23_11_60[2].gif13_4_10[1].gifArt

tropicalwaste
Posted
Posted
I also think living in luxury, depends alot of what kind of life you lived in your country.. I lived in a small farming town, with a 1800 sq ft. 3 bedroom, two bathroom, kitchen , untility, and living room. It was vinyl siding and tile and hardwood floors. No big landscaping or anything. Now for me, that was luxury. I was considered one of the middle to high class tentants on my road. Now if i took that same place and put it in a city, I would be the scurge of the street..... So it really depends on what you come from to what you will come to..I can say that i could live on 1000 USD a month if i wanted to. BUT, I already bought a condo, already purchased a car, already have furnishing, already have my 13a. If i had none of those things, I could not do it... It would probally take more in the 1500 to 2000 range for me. But also i like to go night out alot... So there you go.... Different strokes for different folks. So IMO you could live a decent luxury from my standard of living on 1500 to 2000 per month... OR really tighten up and live on 1200 to 1500...Now all that being said, no one has hit on this point, which I will make. From experience I can tell you... IF you like the girls, ( which I do ) NO WAY can you live on 1000 USD per month.... That is a big factor you have to think about. Most of us come here for the girls, ( I SAID MOST ) and really dont figure them into our cost of living..... THEY ARE EXPENSIVE.... Dont care if you marry them, or bar fine them.... They are expensive.... Most have absolutely nothing to bring into the relationship, and are needing everything from it.... Now you can have two choices in this matter. Take care of only her, and fall out with the parents and tell them, you dont come around me, I wont come around you. ( Which this was my choice, after so many times of being screwed.) Or help the parents. If you dont help, I can assure you, you will be the blacksheep., talked about, and put down. Maybe not to your face. But you will. This dont bother me, so I dont care if they like me or not. They benefit me in no way at all in my life.... But remember, you will have to face this and think about it when doing a budget for here in The Philippines...Finally, I could live on 1000 USD per month,,, IF they close down all the bikini bars, local pubs, expat hangouts, karokee bars, and make all the girls start wearing covers over them like the muslium women do...... BUT THATS JUST ME>>>>>>>> I am weak, stupid, irresponsible, BUT I AM VERY HAPPYthumbs-up-smile.gif I dont make excuses for myself, nor do i care, I dont need to, But i am nice guy, help you with anything you ask of me. cheers.gif
But then again CebuExpat you also cut your losses by buying your own place you can drink at..lol Although doing business here sometimes you get to wonder why we bother in the first place.. But a lot of people do forget the positives.. like never having to go to a grocery store if you choose not to.. having someone drive you, having your laundry done, the kids having a yaya all these things would be expensive and no doubt fall under a lot of employment law in the UK making it unviable. One thing that does shine through here though is that so many people have a different belief in what they want.. if someone expects U.S. living they will quickly find its expensive and frustrating even to try.. This is Asia and they aren't about to move the country.. What is important is whatever people do is plan it out not only on all going well but the problems that face everyone at various times.. there is always glitches appear and its how you deal with them that matter as doing things wrong with relatives for example could work out costly, if your fixed pension could be the price of having to go back to the U.S.Also let us not forget the constant sunshine as well as the beautiful women that keep us here.. I can think of a lot worse things to be doing.. forget the family issues dont waste your time trying to understand them just remind them you are a foreigner and their ways are not yours.. you will meet in the middle sometimes but trying to outflank you after they try to rip you off isn't acceptable. Construction quality here isn't brilliant but at the end of the day the costs are inflated. The apartments we build at P250,000 would be valued in a Sub-division at P500,000 - P1m what is the difference? purely someone stuck an outside wall and called it a Sub division.. A lot of the reasons are more obvious than it seems to why so much work is shoddy.. firstly people still buy it, secondly there is no-one that enforces regulations and laws, thirdly the monopoly is controlled by the rich. If you want to build a 1st rate house here your welcome to it when you try to sell it see what market value you get for it and the time it takes to offload it. The Philippines is based on short term money.. prime example is the housing market building thousands of houses and condos but don't look at infrastructure or business generation. No doubt the wealthy won't be too bothered if it collapsed over night because at the end of the day they have tied so many people to inflated prices.. Something that can be taken from the model in the U.S. that rippled through the world. Only thing i would advise is invest in what you need not what you would like it could just as easily be worthless tomorrow.. Land is something that isnt in short supply here.. moving slightly out of the city will not only get you a better deal but the amount you save could be enough to give you a steady income from the interest on the money if well invested.

cebuexpat
Posted
Posted
But then again CebuExpat you also cut your losses by buying your own place you can drink at..lol Although doing business here sometimes you get to wonder why we bother in the first place.. But a lot of people do forget the positives.. like never having to go to a grocery store if you choose not to.. having someone drive you, having your laundry done, the kids having a yaya all these things would be expensive and no doubt fall under a lot of employment law in the UK making it unviable. One thing that does shine through here though is that so many people have a different belief in what they want.. if someone expects U.S. living they will quickly find its expensive and frustrating even to try.. This is Asia and they aren't about to move the country.. What is important is whatever people do is plan it out not only on all going well but the problems that face everyone at various times.. there is always glitches appear and its how you deal with them that matter as doing things wrong with relatives for example could work out costly, if your fixed pension could be the price of having to go back to the U.S.Also let us not forget the constant sunshine as well as the beautiful women that keep us here.. I can think of a lot worse things to be doing.. forget the family issues dont waste your time trying to understand them just remind them you are a foreigner and their ways are not yours.. you will meet in the middle sometimes but trying to outflank you after they try to rip you off isn't acceptable. Construction quality here isn't brilliant but at the end of the day the costs are inflated. The apartments we build at P250,000 would be valued in a Sub-division at P500,000 - P1m what is the difference? purely someone stuck an outside wall and called it a Sub division.. A lot of the reasons are more obvious than it seems to why so much work is shoddy.. firstly people still buy it, secondly there is no-one that enforces regulations and laws, thirdly the monopoly is controlled by the rich. If you want to build a 1st rate house here your welcome to it when you try to sell it see what market value you get for it and the time it takes to offload it. The Philippines is based on short term money.. prime example is the housing market building thousands of houses and condos but don't look at infrastructure or business generation. No doubt the wealthy won't be too bothered if it collapsed over night because at the end of the day they have tied so many people to inflated prices.. Something that can be taken from the model in the U.S. that rippled through the world. Only thing i would advise is invest in what you need not what you would like it could just as easily be worthless tomorrow.. Land is something that isnt in short supply here.. moving slightly out of the city will not only get you a better deal but the amount you save could be enough to give you a steady income from the interest on the money if well invested.
You are 100% right, TPP. Thanks for reminding me. I think sometimes we get so discouraged, and so aggravated about all the bad things, we dont stop to see the benefits also. You are correct in saying that many things are luxury's we could never imagine having back home. I think those small things are also why we stay here. Like i said in another post, we can feel like rich people and have things only rich people can have back in home country. So yes, your right. Sometimes you just have to smack me a little to realize that they are good things to benefit from here.....

• 1 month later...
TERENCE
Posted
Posted
DISCLAMER: I don't live there, never lived there (visited several times), and don't pretend to be an expert on this - or anything.From what I've seen there are many things that are much less expensive (taxis, food, clothes), things that are about the same (upscale gym memberships), and things that are much more expensive (electronics). The prices I saw for Sony, Sansung HDTVs at a mall in Cebu were about double what they go for here. Maybe that was a kano price but I don't think so, I've read and heard many times that electronics are much more expensive there. When I retire next year my monthly income will be in the P100k area, depending on the plunging exchange rate - that is my biggest concern. I certainly don't expect a luxurious lifestyle but there are things that I can do with that money there that I simply cannot do here as well as the many "intangibles" (see above post from cebuexpat) that make life more desirable there for me. No way of knowing for sure without taking the plunge.
good post mike i agree electronics are very expensive im shipping my tvs out there im retire there before xmas already builing house there that my business ican live comfortable on 50.000 per month it all depends onwat lifestyle uwant my friend the world is yours here is secret lol never be boastfull to phil people it is disresprvtfull they all thing white people are millionaIRES LOL

• 2 months later...
joeatmanila
Posted
Posted

Ok, living is relative. Some are happy with less some are happy with more.I live with about 2000$/month.Have not calculated how much i spend to each and every different household expends but i can state the following:I own a big house. bills on electricity, water, subdivision dues, maintenance fees. About 4-5000p/month all together.I have a wife and a son 6 years old.Two maids. two dogs.We go to the mall 2-3 times a week and eat out when there. We buy good food and our cabinets and refrigerator are full of food. that is about 15-18000p/month approx.I own a 1300cc engine car so gas i think is about 3000-4000p/monthOur clothing is nice but we prefer buying on sales and we do not hesitate to visit ukai ukai or divisoria.My kid goes to a good school but not at Brent or the British school which cost a fortune.I drink only at home and that is once twice a month but when i do is A LOT. that is about 5000p/month if you include my seafood pulutans....We have an expensive hobby (both of us in to photography) but we spend moderate, i would calculate it to 2-3000p/month1000p/month internet, 1500p/month phone, 800p/month cellphones. 3000-4000p/month on toys (our son...)13000p/month for a condo we bought.What remains gives us a very comfortable life but no lavish or luxury to which from time to time (once twice a year) we take a bite buy going to an extremely expensive restaurant (3-4000p/2people) or similar.Cheap or expensive, that is what i can afford that is what i get contended with to like, that is what it costs.

• Like 1