Are The Airports And Taxis Etc Safe

siamesecat64
Posted
Posted

I am sheduled to land at MNL at 6.20 p.m. and take off for CEB at 8.30 p.m. where I will arrive at 9.45 p.m. Is it safe, both, spend a couple of hours in Manila Airport and moving from Cebu Airport to the city at that time. If requested, do you think the hotel will send some one to pick me up at the airport? Are taxi drivers reliables? More in general, are the Philippines a safe country? (Obviously with common sense; for exapmle, I would like to take my laptop with me, what do you think?)Thank You again,siamesecat64

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
I am sheduled to land at MNL at 6.20 p.m. and take off for CEB at 8.30 p.m. where I will arrive at 9.45 p.m. Is it safe, both, spend a couple of hours in Manila Airport and moving from Cebu Airport to the city at that time. If requested, do you think the hotel will send some one to pick me up at the airport? Are taxi drivers reliables? More in general, are the Philippines a safe country? (Obviously with common sense; for exapmle, I would like to take my laptop with me, what do you think?)Thank You again,siamesecat64
First if you take the Cebu interactive map I provided and put you mouse on it and pull it around to find the circle then you can look from there where things are in that area. Next, yes the airports are safe IMO and although you have to leave the Manila international terminal to go to the domestic terminal, you would still be in the airport and there are plenty of security guards and police around even at that time of night. As far as Cebu there are airport taxis and my advice would be to get some pesos ahead of time at Manila airport or before you leave. There is a money changer right in Manila airport terminal and if you use the airport taxis then it will cost you a little more than a regular taxi but a hotel shuttle might be even more. I think the rate would be about p400 for an airport yellow taxi to get to the Mango or circle area, whereas in a white regular taxi it would be less than p200 but since you are new to Cebu it is probably best to not try to play around walking out of the airport to get one and they can also try to take advantage of a new person and overcharge you as well, so best to just take the airport taxi or if the hotel would be less then go for that. As far as safe, if you are not flashy then you should be safe but do not walk the side streets at night, as you would hopefully not do in any new city, at least until you know your way around. 

siamesecat64
Posted
Posted

@ Mr. LeeAs far as safe, if you are not flashy then you should be safe but do not walk the side streets at night, as you would hopefully not do in any new city, at least until you know your way around. What do you mean for "flashy"?I do not wear any jewelry, I do not even wear a watch, but I wear eyeglasses. My clothes are neat but (normally) not from fancy brands.I am not particularly tall (1.71 m about 5ft 7"), but I am VERY FAT. My hair style is crewcut.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
@ Mr. LeeAs far as safe, if you are not flashy then you should be safe but do not walk the side streets at night, as you would hopefully not do in any new city, at least until you know your way around. What do you mean for "flashy"?I do not wear any jewelry, I do not even wear a watch, but I wear eyeglasses. My clothes are neat but (normally) not from fancy brands.I am not particularly tall (1.71 m about 5ft 7"), but I am VERY FAT. My hair style is crewcut.
By Flashy I mean too much jewelry such as chains with large gold coins or diamond rings or possibly a real Rolex watch. You should be OK based on what you just posted. My wife and I try to dress to fit when in the Philippines. Many foreigners wear shorts and flip flops, I wear shoes, active wear shirt and blue jeans and many Filipinos you see walking around malls will be dressed in blue jeans and t-shirts. 

siamesecat64
Posted
Posted

@ Mr. LeeMany foreigners wear shorts and flip flops, I wear shoes, active wear shirt and blue jeans and many Filipinos you see walking around malls will be dressed in blue jeans and t-shirts. My style is more Polo-shirt and Bermuda-pants with yacht style shoes without socks. The main reason for that is that here in Thailand my size is very difficult to find so I must relate to tailors, but a tailor made pair of jeans... sounds a bit ridiculous, not to say snobbish.I do also like more formal attires and I have not problems at all wearing a tie, but in a tropical country that is not the best choice especially with my physique... 36_1_47[1].gif OK, thanks againsiamesecat64

Travis
Posted
Posted
it is safe & laptops are usually safe but when I stayed in hotels I did as Lee told me & kept mine in my suitcase or backpack out of site before I checked in & during my stay when I was out of the room or staff came into the room

siamesecat64
Posted
Posted

@ travelerit is safe & laptops are usually safe but when I stayed in hotels I did as Lee told me & kept mine in my suitcase or backpack out of site before I checked in & during my stay when I was out of the room or staff came into the roomOK, good suggestion; I will put the laptop inside my suitcase at CEB before exit it. Does it means that it is better not to let the hotel staff or any local in general, know about your electronics and/or belongings in general? Like digital camera, iPod, iPhone etc. There is a real risk of pickpocketing and thieving?Thank Yousiamesecat64

Jim Sibbick
Posted
Posted
@ travelerit is safe & laptops are usually safe but when I stayed in hotels I did as Lee told me & kept mine in my suitcase or backpack out of site before I checked in & during my stay when I was out of the room or staff came into the roomOK, good suggestion; I will put the laptop inside my suitcase at CEB before exit it. Does it means that it is better not to let the hotel staff or any local in general, know about your electronics and/or belongings in general? Like digital camera, iPod, iPhone etc. There is a real risk of pickpocketing and thieving?Thank Yousiamesecat64
I think it will depend where you stay.When in Cebu City, I stay at the Cebu Century Hotel, I have been staying there off and on since 1995. I leave money, food, camera and other stuff lying around. I have never had anything go missing. When I had a laptop, it was sitting out on the desk the whole time. I probably wouldn't do that at another hotel. I hate the taxi drivers in Manila. However, in Cebu City, most of the taxi drivers are honest and relaible. In the odd occasion when the driver won't turn on the meter, I get out and get the next taxi. Even if he agrees to turn on the meter as I am getting out.Our former driver, Danny Noy, has his own taxi business now. He has proved to be very reliable in the past. He does airport pick ups for a set fee. However it will cost more than a standard white metered taxi and about the same as a yellow airport taxi. If you want some one relaible to get you started in Cebu, my suggestion is you contact him for a quote.http://www.cebutaxis...taxi_driver.htmYou haven't said what airlines you are flying. If it is Philippine airlines, you won't have to change terminals at all as PAL domestic and international is at the same terminal.Regards; Jim Sibbick

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
My netbook sat plugged in and in full view for the whole month of March without a problem,I guess anything can happen but personally I don't see a suit case as much security even if its locked. If you do stay at the Water Front hotel I know they have in room safes but it would not fit a laptop.

Travis
Posted
Posted
I found all places that I stayed to be honest & I never lost anything but have heard of others who have. a suitcase just means out of sight out of mind to me & since staff probably only make a couple of hundred p a day & maybe a little more in high end hotels I felt it best to not leave things out but I never stayed in any high end hotels & only stayed in pension houses or lower end hotels & I put my laptop in my suitcase in the airport before leaving for a taxi. I have never been pick-pocketed or robbed but I have also heard some who have so if you use the caution that you would in any poor area then you will not have any problems just do not leave your items unattended while out & about