Are The Airports And Taxis Etc Safe

siamesecat64
Posted
Posted

@ Jim SibbickThank you for your suggestions, I like them and I will follow them. Yes my Flights are PAL (BKK-MNL-CEB) so I am very glad to learn I have NOT to change terminal at MNL. @ Boss ManIt was traveler's suggestion (to put the laptop in the suitcase at the airport BEFORE check in at the hotel, in order NOT to let them know I have one). I think it is a wise and useful advise.@ travelerI live in Thailand, that is not exactly First World; but I can tell in this country rarely happened to anyone to be pickpocketed or robbed and you can leave almost everything you have on sight in your hotel room. Obviously there are exceptions also in here, but I can ensure you that in the 10 years I came to Thailand as a tourist (+ the 9 years I am living here) nothing, absolutely NOTHING happened to me and have nothing at all disappeared from my room (house), was it a Guest House or a 5 stars Hotel. Honestly, at that time I was not traveling with any laptop or digital equipments, but Cameras and "Walkman" do existed...Thank You everybody for your help.siamesecat64

parksb2
Posted
Posted
I am sheduled to land at MNL at 6.20 p.m. and take off for CEB at 8.30 p.m. where I will arrive at 9.45 p.m. Is it safe, both, spend a couple of hours in Manila Airport and moving from Cebu Airport to the city at that time. If requested, do you think the hotel will send some one to pick me up at the airport? Are taxi drivers reliables? More in general, are the Philippines a safe country? (Obviously with common sense; for exapmle, I would like to take my laptop with me, what do you think?)Thank You again,siamesecat64
It's all about attitude; my first visit to the phils I know I looked out of place. People can sense it see it, the way you walk, the way you react, also you stick out so nasty people can target you. I spent 5 entire months so I'm definitely not the same as a kano who's lived in the phils for years, but by the end of 5 months.... I could spot a guy who just arrived. The phils is a bit worse than most major North American cities, there are a few more opportunistic people there; eyes open ears open. A laptop is a burden, I wouldn't take one; net cafes are cheap and a good experience; nothing like sitting beside the girl with diamonds telling Joe her carabou died send money, or have a bayot tail you into a cafe with hey big boy looks, worthy of a laugh and a chance to see how the bad act. Make sure the taxi runs the meter, cab fares in Jan 09 with my wife were 250 php to mango.The countries safe as anywhere, if you look for trouble you'll find it. If the hotel requests a cab it will likely be double. Enjoy.

Jim Sibbick
Posted
Posted
@ Jim SibbickThank you for your suggestions, I like them and I will follow them. Yes my Flights are PAL (BKK-MNL-CEB) so I am very glad to learn I have NOT to change terminal at MNL.
OK, here is what I do for Sydney/Manila/Cebu on PAL.I presume it will be the same for you. However, just to be sure, read the instruction in the PAL in flight magazine.- In Bangkok, make sure your luggage is booked all the way through to Cebu and make sure you get 2 boarding passes. BKK - MNL and MNL-CEB- At international arrivals in Manila, there is a transfer desk at the bottom of the stairs. If you forgot to get your boarding pass in Manila, get it here.- After you pass through passport control you can get your luggage off the carousel. Don't take it out of the terminal. take your luggage to the internal customs inspector. He will be on the right hand side of the room, oppososite the exit. After he has finished with you, he will tag your bags as inspected and put them back on the luggage carousel so the baggae handlers can put your luggage on your domestic flight.- Exit the terminal, go up the stairs and enter the domestic terminal which is to your right at the top of the stairs. - You will need to show your passport and ticket to enter the domestic terminal. Inside, just go straight through to the departure area. On your way through, you will have to pay P200 per person terminal fee.- If you need pisos on arrival, you can use the money changer or an ATM. The money changer is to the left after you finish with passport control. They are on the opposite side of the room to the luggage carousel. If you need an ATM, there is a BPI atm machine to the right, as you exit the international arrivals. It dispenses P10,000 at a time and accepts VISA, MASYERCARD, CIRRUS and MAESTRO. It probably accepst plus too but I have not confirmed this. If it will not accept your card, there is a bank of ATM machines upstairs near the entrance to the domestic departures.I hope this helps!Regards: Jim Sibbick

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
@ Jim SibbickThank you for your suggestions, I like them and I will follow them. Yes my Flights are PAL (BKK-MNL-CEB) so I am very glad to learn I have NOT to change terminal at MNL.
OK, here is what I do for Sydney/Manila/Cebu on PAL.I presume it will be the same for you. However, just to be sure, read the instruction in the PAL in flight magazine.- In Bangkok, make sure your luggage is booked all the way through to Cebu and make sure you get 2 boarding passes. BKK - MNL and MNL-CEB- At international arrivals in Manila, there is a transfer desk at the bottom of the stairs. If you forgot to get your boarding pass in Manila, get it here.- After you pass through passport control you can get your luggage off the carousel. Don't take it out of the terminal. take your luggage to the internal customs inspector. He will be on the right hand side of the room, oppososite the exit. After he has finished with you, he will tag your bags as inspected and put them back on the luggage carousel so the baggae handlers can put your luggage on your domestic flight.- Exit the terminal, go up the stairs and enter the domestic terminal which is to your right at the top of the stairs. - You will need to show your passport and ticket to enter the domestic terminal. Inside, just go straight through to the departure area. On your way through, you will have to pay P200 per person terminal fee.- If you need pisos on arrival, you can use the money changer or an ATM. The money changer is to the left after you finish with passport control. They are on the opposite side of the room to the luggage carousel. If you need an ATM, there is a BPI atm machine to the right, as you exit the international arrivals. It dispenses P10,000 at a time and accepts VISA, MASYERCARD, CIRRUS and MAESTRO. It probably accepst plus too but I have not confirmed this. If it will not accept your card, there is a bank of ATM machines upstairs near the entrance to the domestic departures.I hope this helps!Regards: Jim Sibbick
Jim all that is great info but the last few times we used Pal from the US and all the way to Cebu, since we had the airline pass the luggage all the way to Cebu and since Cebu has its own customs, we did not need to pick up the luggage in Manila and just picked it up in Cebu and showed it to customs there. I guess it might be best to check with the transfer desk to make sure but unless things changed from last year or it would be different when coming from BKM, as long as all flights are with Pal, then I believe that picking up the luggage should not be necessary on trips that end in Cebu or any international airport within the Philippines that has their own customs inspectors and when luggage is passed all the way to the final destination.  I know we did have to do as you said when going to CDO because they did not have customs a few years ago. 

siamesecat64
Posted
Posted

@ Jim SibbickThank You so much, your advices are really valuables.I never got a PAL flight but with Thai Airways it works like Mr. Lee said (ex. FCO-BKK-HKT) you left your luggage in Rome and will pick it up in Phuket where you will do the Custom formalities. Anyway I will find it out at BKK.siamesecat64

Jim Sibbick
Posted
Posted
Jim all that is great info but the last few times we used Pal from the US and all the way to Cebu, since we had the airline pass the luggage all the way to Cebu and since Cebu has its own customs, we did not need to pick up the luggage in Manila and just picked it up in Cebu and showed it to customs there. I guess it might be best to check with the transfer desk to make sure but unless things changed from last year or it would be different when coming from BKM, as long as all flights are with Pal, then I believe that picking up the luggage should not be necessary on trips that end in Cebu or any international airport within the Philippines that has their own customs inspectors and when luggage is passed all the way to the final destination. I know we did have to do as you said when going to CDO because they did not have customs a few years ago.
Flights originating in North America have different instructions to flights originating in Asia Pacific. I remeber reading that in the inflight magazine.Regards: Jim

• 1 year later...
Call me bubba
Posted
Posted
I am scheduled to land at MNL at 6.20 p.m. and take off for CEB at 8.30 p.m. where I will arrive at 9.45 p.m. Is it safe, both, spend a couple of hours in Manila Airport and moving from Cebu Airport to the city at that time. If requested, do you think the hotel will send some one to pick me up at the airport? Are taxi drivers reliable? More in general, are the Philippines a safe country? (Obviously with common sense; for example, I would like to take my laptop with me, what do you think?) Thank You again, siamesecat64
Yes the hotel can pick you up at the airport BUT sometimes ,again rarely You might be picked up by an "imposter". So make sure you know who they are.TAXIS yes by and large are generally safe, just use "common"sense and your intuition/gut feeling.IN general most taxi services at the airport are "honest" and safe,

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
I am scheduled to land at MNL at 6.20 p.m. and take off for CEB at 8.30 p.m. where I will arrive at 9.45 p.m. Is it safe, both, spend a couple of hours in Manila Airport and moving from Cebu Airport to the city at that time. If requested, do you think the hotel will send some one to pick me up at the airport? Are taxi drivers reliable? More in general, are the Philippines a safe country? (Obviously with common sense; for example, I would like to take my laptop with me, what do you think?) Thank You again, siamesecat64
Yes the hotel can pick you up at the airport BUT sometimes ,again rarely You might be picked up by an "imposter". So make sure you know who they are.TAXIS yes by and large are generally safe, just use "common"sense and your intuition/gut feeling.IN general most taxi services at the airport are "honest" and safe,
Hope he is not still waiting at the airport since June 2010 :lol:
  • Like 4

joeatmanila
Posted
Posted
I am sheduled to land at MNL at 6.20 p.m. and take off for CEB at 8.30 p.m. where I will arrive at 9.45 p.m. Is it safe, both, spend a couple of hours in Manila Airport and moving from Cebu Airport to the city at that time. If requested, do you think the hotel will send some one to pick me up at the airport? Are taxi drivers reliables? More in general, are the Philippines a safe country? (Obviously with common sense; for exapmle, I would like to take my laptop with me, what do you think?)Thank You again,siamesecat64
Who ever made up your mind as such? For as long as you behave as a human being, no one will bother with you specially in an airport or taxi from the airport. I feel way much more safer in ANY philippines airport than i have felt in many airports of our western world.Philippines IS SAFE!!!! 1000% SAFE!!!! Yes you can hear about crimes but in comparison they are way lesser than in US or Europe. Simply whatever happens to a foreigner in Philippines finds it's way to front page news immediately, unlike in our wolrd where if (in greece at least) a nigerian or albanian gets mugged or stubbed or killed it might make it in the inside of the newspapers but most likely it won't, no one cares.Now i hope this gives you an understanding of the crime levels towards foreigners who do not look for troubles. It is absolutely safe!!!!Just think how many times in your city/country (wherever that is) you do hear about a crime towards a tourist, do you ever? Or you think it simply doesn't happens?Now if you want to go vacation at Tawi-Tawi or Basilan or other related areas, you will be wanred not to go from the ticketing clerk, the hotel you stay, the taxi driver who takes to the airport/port, the police upon arrival, the local army units upon arrival, the hotel you will stay there etc etc...If you decide to stay...you looked for it!!!!!i was driving once from CDO all the way down south to go to Tawi Tawi where my wife did 2 years of nursing duty for the goverment. After Pagadian city and every few kilometers wherever an outpost was, they were stopping me asking me where and why i go, all telling me to go to another place or go back. At Zamboanga, they made it clear to me, a marines high ranked officer told me simple and plain "if they kidnap you i will risk my life for you, i have a wife and 4 kids please do not go there"We spend the night at Zamboanga to a relative where we were supposed to leave the car and next day drove back from a different way to make it more scenic.Philippines is safe everywhere, not only airports!!! the one who looks for trouble he finds it, then again is also the unlucky ones which happens all over and everywhere in the world.
  • Like 1

Genius
Posted
Posted

''Philippines is safe everywhere, not only airports!!! the one who looks for trouble he finds it, then again is also the unlucky ones which happens all over and everywhere in the world.''1/ No it isn't! (Feral gangs of children do not descend on you when walking home at 2am in the West End of London, Customs do not jokily suggest you give them pasubulong, when entering the country at Heathrow, Guards outside 7-11 in Rome, do not carry shot guns and wave them around randomly at passerbys, Drinkers in Brussels back street bars do not sidle up to you and suggest a small investment will result in finding hidden gold in them thar mountains, beautiful women do not find you really attractive and interesting on first meeting in Paris outside the Champ Elysee, taxis in Munich do not have threadbare tires and no working brakes, air pollution is not so bad that you develop a 40 a day cough on arrival in Dublin, terrorist insurgence and kidnappings do not take place in the South of England regularly to tourists and locals, local media are not shot dead in Reykavik..... etc2/ But then a pint of premium lager is 280 peso plus plus anywhere in central london, new york, hong kong, cigs are 420 peso a pack, 5 star hotels are 28000 peso a night, a good meal at a restaurant for two is minimum 7000 peso with drinks........ Phils is great, but lets be realistic, anyone getting off the plane for the first time, is going to have a major shock if they ve only ever been used to 1st world nations. Its both is downfall and strength.

• Like 3