Why Do Some Filipinos Hate Americans?

Travis
Posted
Posted
The topic, WHY DO FILIPINOS HATE AMERICANS, appears to be an unfair obvious one sided description! I look at people in general and disregard what the color of their skin appears to be, safer that way! Hey, most Filipinos look at any foreigner and just assume they are all Americans, because Filipinos, foreigners and or other ethic groups can't distinguish the nationality of people in general based on appearance alone! So, you posters out there, give some thought before selecting an appropriate title to your personal threads or you maybe tagged as being a racist or whatever else! Playing the race card isn't cool! SugarwareZ-004.gif
no sir I know I am not a racist in any way & I like most Filipino people very much. sorry if my title came off that way but I did not say it as you wrote it I said SOME as Lee pointed out
I said just maybe and did not say that your were! How sometimes a little simple word can be misinterpreted in a different way. I was just making a point that, is this another American bashing according to the title?
Art I am not trying to get into a battle with you. If you look at how you wrote it you wrote it differently than I wrote the title of this & left out the word some. since you are Filipino I hope you understand how I meant the title coz it is never my intention to insult Filipinos or anyone else

UZI
Posted
Posted
The topic, WHY DO FILIPINOS HATE AMERICANS, appears to be an unfair obvious one sided description! I look at people in general and disregard what the color of their skin appears to be, safer that way! Hey, most Filipinos look at any foreigner and just assume they are all Americans, because Filipinos, foreigners and or other ethic groups can't distinguish the nationality of people in general based on appearance alone! So, you posters out there, give some thought before selecting an appropriate title to your personal threads or you maybe tagged as being a racist or whatever else! Playing the race card isn't cool! SugarwareZ-004.gif
no sir I know I am not a racist in any way & I like most Filipino people very much. sorry if my title came off that way but I did not say it as you wrote it I said SOME as Lee pointed out
Hi Traveller, I see that the topic name is a question - WHY do some Filipinos hate Anericans. Clearly some hate what they see America stands for - Capitalism. These are often activists in Uni. These same students will protest the lack of jobs etc too. It's what some students do. Ban the Bomb, Save the Whale, etc. I don't think any HATE Americans, they may hate an individual who has shown them no respect or has acted with an 'I am a westerner & better than you' attitude. This applies to any foreigner though because we are all Kano's there. Much unfortunately is type casting but there are always those that re-enforce the stereotype too. Just my dalawa Centavos Uzi

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

OK maybe it might have been better had Art started a new topic with that post because we all do have to watch how some of our words can be misunderstood by people from another culture and that is why I often say to add IMO or IMHO, some or many or from my personal experience or whatever helps others to know we are not bashing a whole race with our posts. In this case Traveler did say some, so he did not intend to bash a whole race IMO.Time to get back to the topic at hand.  :th_noproblem:

Travis
Posted
Posted (edited)
Hi Traveller,I see that the topic name is a question - WHY do some Filipinos hate Anericans.Clearly some hate what they see America stands for - Capitalism. These are often activists in Uni. These same students will protest the lack of jobs etc too. It's what some students do. Ban the Bomb, Save the Whale, etc.I don't think any HATE Americans, they may hate an individual who has shown them no respect or has acted with an 'I am a westerner & better than you' attitude. This applies to any foreigner though because we are all Kano's there.Much unfortunately is type casting but there are always those that re-enforce the stereotype too. Just my dalawa CentavosUzi
thank you Uzi for the explanation & thank you Art for letting me know that I best pick my words carefully . I will try to do better in the future with what topic I pick to write about SugarwareZ-034.gif edit to add. I remember now I put the word SOME in all capital letters in the title & the forum changed it to the way it is now Edited by Traveler

UZI
Posted
Posted
OK maybe it might have been better had Art started a new topic with that post because we all do have to watch how some of our words can be misunderstood by people from another culture and that is why I often say to add IMO or IMHO, some or many or from my personal experience or whatever helps others to know we are not bashing a whole race with our posts. In this case Traveler did say some, so he did not intend to bash a whole race IMO.Time to get back to the topic at hand. :th_thanx:
This thread has wondered into cultural differences & cultural awareness. As Lee has said, maybe a new topic is warranted to explore this for Traveler & others, so I started off one with OUR DIFFERENCES. I am also interested in how FilAms see themselves in the cultural mix - JAKE?Uzi.

• 3 months later...
Irish
Posted
Posted

Millions of American's living in the US hate what the US government do and US corporations. Does any body like this? From MSNBC: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39456324/ns/health-sexual_health/ "U.S. apologizes for Guatemala STD experiments""Government researchers infected patients with syphilis, gonorrhea without their consent in the 1940s""Many of those infected were encouraged to pass the infection onto others as part of the study.""The episode raises inevitable comparisons to the infamous Tuskegee experiment, the Alabama study where hundreds of African-American men were told they were being treated for syphilis, but in fact were denied treatment. That U.S. government study lasted from 1932 until press reports revealed it in 1972."My point being just because American who protest against bad thing the US government and corporations does, doesn't mean those million of Americans hate Americans. Same goes for aware Filipinos protesting. You can't also live off past perceived deeds. "We saved you so you should always like us", if you believe that then the following is also 'true' (true if you believe that): American Indian: "White people slaughtered us in the past so all white people today are bad". Many Filipinos would love to have an economy and city structure like Japan or Germany and those two had the sh&t kicked out of them in WWII. China was the supposed communist enemy of the US but the US government gave incentives to move almost it's entire manufacturing to China, which made China richer and a superpower. So saying things like the US saved the Philippines from being flatten like Japan or Germany and made them a US "friendly" trading partner don't actually hold water to the success of the Philippines in reality.

Inspector
Posted
Posted
http://www.gmanews.t...y-protest-march if it were not for the US protecting this country then I wonder where they might be now? am I wrong? I sure do not mean to offend any Filipinos but I do not understand the anti American feelings of some
I agree with the others that it is mostly the US government policies and the greed of American corporations that people don't like.However, I can give you a few examples otherwise of why Filipinos will not like Americans.In case you are not aware, at the end of the nineteenth century, Filipinos thought they had their independence. The US thought otherwise as they had just been ceded the Philippines in the Spanish American war. Americans committed many attrocities throughout the Philippine while taking control. In one of the worst case scenarios, an American general ordered the death on Samar of all males over the age of 10. There is also a popular story going around of how General Pershing kept Muslims under control on Mindanao by dipping bullets in pigs blood before shooting them dead by firing squad.Otherwise, there are many jealous Filipinos around who have lost their girlfriends to Americans.Regards; Jim
This is why I hate Brits...sure it was a long time ago, but they tried to kill us Americans back when Benjamin was flying kites.Oh, and don't get me started on those from the south...that civil war still has me steaming. I HAVE forgiven the Japanese though, and the Germans...but NOT the Italians. Oh, wait...I am part Italian....alright I forgive them. But the UK? th_fluch.gifThe British Empire? It sounds so snobby and elitist....the EMPIRE. :DI simply can not forget my forefathers back before the industrial revolution....as I am certain either can the filipinos with this war and there average age of ....19.Maybe it's just the anti american leaning the wrong way media creating the Cindy Sheehan effect again? I don't see this sentiment at all...just the opposite. Are there a few who hate me? I'm sure...but that's because of reasons that do not come from a war that nobody cares or knows about. I can ask 100 filipino people, and I'm guessing only a few know, and out of that few...how many are holding a grudge? Oh....I was enlisted with many filipino's on my ship...my chief was a pinoy, and one of my best friends. 1%20%2872%29.gifThat was AFTER this war....well after. Certainly would not want any on the US military who could be doing sabotage or terrorism way back when...because of something WAY back when. Another thing...would there not be as many jealous pinoys who have also lost their GF's to...Europeans, and Aussies as well? :th_hu:I realize that Americans are better looking and far more charming then Europeans, and smarter then Aussies despite giving it up in the looks department with them...but certainly they are stealing more then us being they are closer to the PI? No? I will now leave this thread as it is bordering on political discussion, and I will follow board rulz here. :th_thholysheep:

No name
Posted
Posted

I don't think protesting against the USA makes any sense.If they don't want American influence then they should be protesting their own government for accepting the money.I wish the USA would butt out too but there's only one reason a country give money to another country and its to get something back.Filipino ran the American bases off. When I read some of the history on that it made my heart sink. It made me angry.As for the masses of Filipino, they give us too much admiration. We get a lot of special treatment and that makes me a little uncomfortable too.I think there is resentment out there. With all the negative things I see American's say about the Philippines while living here, I can understand that.And some just like to have something to complain about.. It is always easier to blame someone else for your problems. Like my former, no pregnant yaya mother. She blames our other yaya for the situation. They are cousins. She's only 16 but she should have stopped the 17 year old from "eloping." Awwww, where was mom? Not going to blame herself. Few humans blame themselves. Me? I get feedback from my mentors that I blame myself far too often. In other words, it is just human nature. Look around in forums, any place.... So many thoughts about people putting this group of people down or that group of people (sexpats for example) to make themselves feel better about themselves. I know, I know, the truth sucks and I'm always getting into hot water for speaking it. :th_thholysheep: Oh well, too old to learn better now.....SugarwareZ-267.gif

ekimswish
Posted
Posted

In Canada, it's fair to say we sometimes hate America, as in the government, but not the people. It always originates in trade disputes. When I was in Taiwan it was the same thing, they resented American pressure to buy an arms package they felt was too much priced too high. In Korea, they hate American trade pressure, as well as the feeling that they can't fight their own battles (regardless of the fact that they couldn't 60 years ago). In the Philippines, as I'm reading in a book at the moment, they resent trade pressures from the US, especially in agriculture, or at least 7 years ago when the book was published. There's a lot to hate about America when it comes to trade and politics, but trading shoes, it's hard to say we wouldn't do the same thing. Concerning American people, it's all good and then some. I actually find Americans abroad among the brightest, despite their reputation on American soil for being among the most internationally ignorant. Those who find life outside their borders are really smart people. Americans, god dammit, are among the cream of the crop.

Jake
Posted
Posted

It is a lot easier to stereotype or generalize a certain group of people because of a few bad apples in our midst. The ugly American or the ugly Kano will always spoil the image of trying to be a good ambassador of your country. One could say that the Koreans, now invading the Philippines like there was no tomorrow, have a growing number of bad apples. Part of the Filipino culture or mindset is to look the other way when they witness a loud mouth drunken slob. And I'm talking about a Filipino. In most cases, the ugly Kano will continue his ugly ways as well. It's a mindset called -- BAHALA NA. And then the gossip spreads like wild fire and we all get stereotyped for the wrong reason.There is no permanent solution to reduce the problem of "why do some Filipinos hate Americans". But WE can at least continue to display even the basic daily courtesy by smiling, friendly greetings and learning to say thank you in their native tongue.Respectfully -- Jake