Question For All Foreigners Living In The Philippines

sjp52
Posted
Posted

If did not have your wife or girlfriend and woman were the same in Philippines as they are in the west. Would you still want to live in the Philippines ?

• Like 1

ekimswish
Posted
Posted

Nice beaches, cheap liquor, mediocre - but plenty of it - basketball..... I'd say so.

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted
If did not have your wife or girlfriend and woman were the same in Philippines as they are in the west. Would you still want to live in the Philippines ?
Good question -- hopefully your post will generate some lively discussions. Even if I factor out the female companion, my personal reason to live in the Philippines anyway would be of financial necessity. Yes, Ido realize the negatives (peace and order, pollution, corruption, etc etc...) and I must admit the choice isreally between the lesser of two evils. To continue living here in southern California from paycheck to paycheck is becoming more stressful. Mymilitary pension simply cannot support a family of six anymore. By the time I'm eligible to collect my SSchecks (two years from now), we will leave USA for good.Planning to reside in the Philippines or any other popular expat/retirement area sounds very adventurousbut full of unknown risks and anxieties. One could argue that it would be the same if I decided to move toCanada. No matter how much we research or canvass a particular island, city or sub division, nothing isreally perfect regarding safe and clean location for our family. Most of us expats are approaching our senior years and my highest priority is my health right now. Beingfinancially stressed out (in western economy) will put me in the grave before I turn 70. Whatever "paradise"I could find in my native land will of course be dependent of my tolerance of all the negatives, especiallyunwelcome visitors. At my age, I need to control my stress level and just roll with the punches but with occasional counter kicks in the butt.Respectfully -- Jake
  • Like 1

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
For me it was mostly about my wife and then later on became about some of the wonderful people I have been lucky enough to meet in the Philippines, with most of them being Filipino.  While we only live there part of the year, I would have to say that had it not been for my wife and her introducing me to the culture, then I would probably not be living even part of the year in the Philippines, but since meeting my wife and learning about the Philippines, then I believe that if I knew then what I know now, and if I could only afford to live in one place then it would probably be full time in the Philippines because of how I am treated by those who I do my best to also treat the way I wish to be treated.  I am not sure if the above makes sense to those who do not live in or spend a lot of time in the Philippines but I have found that while I try hard to be nice to everyone I meet, in the US it is often not reciprocated, while in the Philippines it is not only reciprocated but I have found that most Filipinos often go the extra mile.  I guess what I am saying is that in the US I am just one of many, whereas in the Philippines I guess I stand out and therefore seem to be remembered most places we frequent and maybe because of that I am treated better than in my own home country. Now if all foreigners would treat Filipinos and others with kindness and respect and if some Filipinos would just wake up and learn to treat their own as nice as they treat us, then the Philippines would in fact be a paradise for all IMO.  
  • Like 1

sjp52
Posted
Posted

well to be honest. I don,t think I would enjoy living here with out the support of my wife and family. I find it a little tiring to keep up a long conversation with most Filipinos as their English and my Visayan are very week. Maybe if I had some foreigners to hang out with it would be ok. Every once in a while i will run into a Filipino who can speak English pretty good. They sure are the friendliest people I have ever met. It sure is interesting learning all about their culture, Although I wonder some times why they do some things the way they do them. They sure have taught me a lot about taking care of each other and their networking is amazing. But something tells me if I did not have my wife and no decent woman to replace her, I would be a little lonely here.I have Filipino friends but the closeness is not there because of the language.

• Like 1

sjp52
Posted
Posted
For me it was mostly about my wife and then later on became about some of the wonderful people I have been lucky enough to meet in the Philippines, with most of them being Filipino. While we only live there part of the year, I would have to say that had it not been for my wife and her introducing me to the culture, then I would probably not be living even part of the year in the Philippines, but since meeting my wife and learning about the Philippines, then I believe that if I knew then what I know now, and if I could only afford to live in one place then it would probably be full time in the Philippines because of how I am treated by those who I do my best to also treat the way I wish to be treated. I am not sure if the above makes sense to those who do not live in or spend a lot of time in the Philippines but I have found that while I try hard to be nice to everyone I meet, in the US it is often not reciprocated, while in the Philippines it is not only reciprocated but I have found that most Filipinos often go the extra mile. I guess what I am saying is that in the US I am just one of many, whereas in the Philippines I guess I stand out and therefore seem to be remembered most places we frequent and maybe because of that I am treated better than in my own home country. Now if all foreigners would treat Filipinos and others with kindness and respect and if some Filipinos would just wake up and learn to treat their own as nice as they treat us, then the Philippines would in fact be a paradise for all IMO.
I wonder if you would be receiving that kindness and respect from some. if foreigners had a reputation of being poor. I agree that they don,t treat their own as nice as they treat us, But most of their own are poor.

sjp52
Posted
Posted
Good question -- hopefully your post will generate some lively discussions. Even if I factor out the female companion, my personal reason to live in the Philippines anyway would be of financial necessity. Yes, Ido realize the negatives (peace and order, pollution, corruption, etc etc...) and I must admit the choice isreally between the lesser of two evils. To continue living here in southern California from paycheck to paycheck is becoming more stressful. Mymilitary pension simply cannot support a family of six anymore. By the time I'm eligible to collect my SSchecks (two years from now), we will leave USA for good.Planning to reside in the Philippines or any other popular expat/retirement area sounds very adventurousbut full of unknown risks and anxieties. One could argue that it would be the same if I decided to move toCanada. No matter how much we research or canvass a particular island, city or sub division, nothing isreally perfect regarding safe and clean location for our family. Most of us expats are approaching our senior years and my highest priority is my health right now. Beingfinancially stressed out (in western economy) will put me in the grave before I turn 70. Whatever "paradise"I could find in my native land will of course be dependent of my tolerance of all the negatives, especiallyunwelcome visitors. At my age, I need to control my stress level and just roll with the punches but with occasional counter kicks in the butt.Respectfully -- Jake
Living in the Philippines sure does knock down the stress level, Once you adapt to the Philippines way of thinking. That is one of the things I love about here

Patsada
Posted
Posted
...most probably not! imho there are "better" places to live as an expat which also offer a low-cost living, sun & beaches, nice people... such as Costa Rica, Panama for example.But everywhere you will have to accept compromises anyway......Patsada
  • Like 1

Mik
Posted
Posted
Yes.Fight Club (1999 movie) Tyler Durden: We're a generation of men raised by women. I'm wondering if another woman is really the answer we need. .

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

Sort of an obvious answer! Depends on the woman! If I were in love with an old fashion Japanese woman with a strong cultural tie with family and country and I like the Japanese way of life and money wasn't an object, guess who I will marry and where will I consider living? That goes for the majority of foreigners married to their Filipino spouses, would most likely live where her immediate Filipino family lives! But for the more younger, modern, educated and sophisticated Filipino spouses, they tend to desire to live elsewhere other than the Philippines because of better employment opportunities and the desire to get wealthy independent!

• Like 1