Question For All Foreigners Living In The Philippines

joeatmanila
Posted
Posted

Well...YES. I love the simple way of life, that's it. A rather wealthy foreigner in PI (wealthy not rich!!!) would be one with income of about 50-60K$/year. In the western world that would be equal to one with 100-150K$/year. Anything to compare on the way these two live? The services they enjoy?Yes the western world looks better, but i do not eat the looks neither they offer me the peace of mind to lay back and relax. It is a totaly different way of living and for sure not for everyone. It all depends what you want in your life, what makes you happy, how you preceive life. I know expats who live in Vietnam and love it, i wouldn't ever. If one resides in PI just for the sake of his wife and her love, sooner or later will be an unhappy man since love is not the only thing we need in life.

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted
Well...YES. I love the simple way of life, that's it. A rather wealthy foreigner in PI (wealthy not rich!!!) would be one with income of about 50-60K$/year. In the western world that would be equal to one with 100-150K$/year. Anything to compare on the way these two live? The services they enjoy?Yes the western world looks better, but i do not eat the looks neither they offer me the peace of mind to lay back and relax. It is a totaly different way of living and for sure not for everyone. It all depends what you want in your life, what makes you happy, how you preceive life. I know expats who live in Vietnam and love it, i wouldn't ever. If one resides in PI just for the sake of his wife and her love, sooner or later will be an unhappy man since love is not the only thing we need in life.
Thank you Joe for a more different perspective on life as an expat. Sometimes new found relationships does not always work out. No need to stress about the love/lust you gained and then lost. It certainlywould not be the end of the world for either party. To some expats, even just true friendship without the heavy emotional attachments is a peace of mind to some extend. Keep posting my friend, you're on a roll......Respectfully -- Jake

No name
Posted
Posted

Depends on the woman, someone said, that's true as if she's really hell bent on making your life as miserable as you might have made her, she'll have you tossed out Even if one doesn't deserve it, its still possible she might do that if things go bad.Otherwise, one can keep looking till they find the right one.Pollution? None of that where I live. Well, I wouldn't jump in the water, not right here in Bogo City, one should get out a bit.Crime? I armed myself in Memphis complete with permit to carry a concealed weapon. I came to think of it as a duty as that place is a freaking war zone. Almost zero crime in Bogo City. There is a murder every couple of years. Someone did steal one of the ya ya's slippers and my monkey bit the crap out of me two days ago..... She'll be spending the rest of her days in jail. :)Cost of Living, I know people that live on next to nothing here and are having the experience of their lives. Me, I need my aircon and internet so it cost me a LITTLE more but still, I live on a fraction of what it would cost me to live in the USA.Might be hard for me though if I didn't have a loving woman to take great care of me. I don't have to face that. If she hated me tomorrow, wouldn't be hard to find another loving woman.I came for the experience. The lost cost of living and the women kept me here. I would stay but the women are a HUGE part of my being here. I love Filipina and I'm very proud to admit it. Its starting to have a stigma around it. Some Filipino resent it. They are quick to judge and assume just because you say hi to them, you're trying to buy them or some nonsense. I don't even want to rent someone. That takes all the fun out of it for me, to be honest, i've never tried it, who knows, maybe I'd enjoy that too. i doubt it.

• Like 1

ekimswish
Posted
Posted

Even though I think I could/would-if-I-could live in the Phils without having my wife and kids, it would be tough on the friend's front maybe. Even with the family I expect that will be tough. Maybe I'm wrong and just need to get out more, but I was let down by the lack of anything in common with regular Filipinos. Back home in Canada I'm used to the Filipinos being really cool and fun guys, totally absorbed in western culture, fads, and entertainment. In short, it's not hard to hold a conversation and shoot the breeze. So I was a bit let down when I realized that your typical Filipino in the Philippines knows none of those things and is basically the same as talking to an Indonesian or Chinese farmer, just with slightly better English. Then again, maybe if I get out more next time and meet some people a little more westernized, I'll find the kind of friends I need to keep me interested. Don't get me wrong: regular Filipinos could be great friends, but I won't be able to talk about the comedy, politics, TV shows I'm interested in.

• Like 1

joeatmanila
Posted
Posted
Even though I think I could/would-if-I-could live in the Phils without having my wife and kids, it would be tough on the friend's front maybe. Even with the family I expect that will be tough. Maybe I'm wrong and just need to get out more, but I was let down by the lack of anything in common with regular Filipinos. Back home in Canada I'm used to the Filipinos being really cool and fun guys, totally absorbed in western culture, fads, and entertainment. In short, it's not hard to hold a conversation and shoot the breeze. So I was a bit let down when I realized that your typical Filipino in the Philippines knows none of those things and is basically the same as talking to an Indonesian or Chinese farmer, just with slightly better English. Then again, maybe if I get out more next time and meet some people a little more westernized, I'll find the kind of friends I need to keep me interested. Don't get me wrong: regular Filipinos could be great friends, but I won't be able to talk about the comedy, politics, TV shows I'm interested in.
I will agree with you about the regular filipino that he cannot follow up a conversation to your topics of interest. Talk to them about politics, comedy or tv shows which they know from their own country and i am pretty sure you'll find your self in a long pleasant and rather jolly conversation.Do not try to have a high end conversation with someone who is not educated or has seen nothing in the world than the next barrio. As you said, extend your network of friends and for sure you'll find the ones you enjoy.

Jim Sibbick
Posted
Posted
If did not have your wife or girlfriend and woman were the same in Philippines as they are in the west. Would you still want to live in the Philippines ?
Yes!Marrying a Filipina (again) is of no interest to me!I like the lifestyle and the cheap living!Regards: Jim Sibbick

• 3 months later...
BigMoneyBruce
Posted
Posted (edited)

I think it will really boil down to your personality, your interests and hobbies. I would say that for most expats being older is a challenge to live and enjoy PI without women being a factor. I say this because then a large part of it depends on your ability to adapt and find people with common interests witch will be harder to find in PI. Where a younger person will most likely be more outgoing, adaptable and able to find people who share similar interests. Having and building meaningful relationships including friendships is a major part of being happy and for some doing so in a foreign country can be more difficult and this greatly affects your quality of life.

Edited by BigMoneyBruce
  • Like 1

Inspector
Posted
Posted

Nope, not even close......I'd be in Panama and just visit my retired military friends here.

• 2 weeks later...
sjp52
Posted
Posted (edited)
If did not have your wife or girlfriend and woman were the same in Philippines as they are in the west. Would you still want to live in the Philippines ?
Yes!Marrying a Filipina (again) is of no interest to me!I like the lifestyle and the cheap living!Regards: Jim Sibbick
Hi Jim. Do you just date women all the time or do you have a steady girl friend. I was just wondering as I married right away and always wondered what it would have been like just dating here in the Philippines. I imagine it would be a lot of fun but to late now Happily married.post-1-063450300 1290940325_thumb.jpg Edited by Boss Man
Resized image

jamesmusslewhite
Posted
Posted (edited)

Well that is certainly a complex question, which is definably deserving of a well thought out and equally complex answer.YES!!!

Edited by jamesmusslewhite
  • Like 1