How Do Some Of The Younger Guys Support Themselves

spacefalcon1
Posted
Posted

I am 47 so not that young. I work in Alaska in the fishing industry and I usually get around 3 months off a year paid, 1 1/2 month April and May and then another 1 1/2 month off in December and January. Company pays for my ticket back to Seattle and that works out to about the same price as flying to Manila from where I live here so I just have them pay for the ticket to the Philippines instead. Lot's of guys up here do the same, work 12 to 15 hours a day 7 days a week, make a bunch of money and then vacation in Asia during the off seasons. We have a few hundred Filipinos here that do the same thing and works out pretty good.

Tom in Texas
Posted
Posted
Aren't you that famous gigolo from Texas that visits Cebu on a yearly basis?They say that everything is "big" in Texas, so it's not necessary for you tolook for work, they come to you my friend.Get some -- Jake
Yes, Jake.... you have now outed my secret and exorbitantly lucrative "employment." There are so many prospective customers beating a path to my door that I have to beat them off with my big stick... uhhh, I mean with a big stick.BIG Tom from Texas

Tom in Texas
Posted
Posted
Yes, the offshore jobs, the ships, Iraq, rafineries in places such as Nigeria Saudi Arabia.
Thanks Joe... Offshore jobs ------ I can't swim very wellShips ------ I get sea sick just looking at oneIrag ----- Aren't they shooting guns over there?Refineries ----- I've handled lots of death cases following explosions at these ticking time bombsSo, thanks.... but no thanks.... I'm just gonna keep my part time job as a mixed drink quality control tester shooter.gifTom in Texas

• 3 months later...
gapotwo
Posted
Posted
I see quite a few younger sexpat type guys walking around the malls with their even younger toys on their arms & I wonder how do these guys support themselves while living here? they cannot all be from rich families maybe some of them are & maybe some of them are on some form of dole like social security disability or welfare or I do not know what else so I have to wonder why people who have not reached full retirement age are allowed to collect something they did not really earn & then spend it in a country other than the one that gives them that free money? the funny thing is that many of these guys look healthy other than possibly suffering from the dreaded hand to mouth disease & drinking too much which is probably the cause of them being so very overweight so they have got to be healthy enough to hold down a job. hey maybe that might be a good job for an expat to get into sort of a bounty hunter who observes films & sends movies & of these guys back to their governments along with any info they could find out about them so that those on any form of govt free money could get sent home maybe the governments of countries should check the immigration records of the Philippines & compare them to their dole lists hmmmmmmm
TRAVELER, im a newbe in this forum, I am from a wealthy family in the PH. and ive worked an honest wage all my life in the US.and paid my taxes when and where due. and i am a PARAPLEGIC as of last year, and i am on SSDI. that i am going to spend in the PH. as of feb. SSDI is earned income, i worked hard and paid into it for many years. and am not freeloading on it. as for WELFARE, suplementry income,is not paid outside of the US. after reading this i am already not liking your comment. Please get ur facts right,you never know who you may offend tanks EJ BARTON

Travis
Posted
Posted
I see quite a few younger sexpat type guys walking around the malls with their even younger toys on their arms & I wonder how do these guys support themselves while living here? they cannot all be from rich families maybe some of them are & maybe some of them are on some form of dole like social security disability or welfare or I do not know what else so I have to wonder why people who have not reached full retirement age are allowed to collect something they did not really earn & then spend it in a country other than the one that gives them that free money? the funny thing is that many of these guys look healthy other than possibly suffering from the dreaded hand to mouth disease & drinking too much which is probably the cause of them being so very overweight so they have got to be healthy enough to hold down a job. hey maybe that might be a good job for an expat to get into sort of a bounty hunter who observes films & sends movies & of these guys back to their governments along with any info they could find out about them so that those on any form of govt free money could get sent home maybe the governments of countries should check the immigration records of the Philippines & compare them to their dole lists hmmmmmmm
TRAVELER, im a newbe in this forum, I am from a wealthy family in the PH. and ive worked an honest wage all my life in the US.and paid my taxes when and where due. and i am a PARAPLEGIC as of last year, and i am on SSDI. that i am going to spend in the PH. as of feb. SSDI is earned income, i worked hard and paid into it for many years. and am not freeloading on it. as for WELFARE, suplementry income,is not paid outside of the US. after reading this i am already not liking your comment. Please get ur facts right,you never know who you may offend tanks EJ BARTON
sorry mr Barton I seem to have offended you & that was never my intentions. once you get to spend some more time in the PH then you may also wonder as I did how some of those younger guys from different countries are able to afford to play around with the fine women of the PH & drink so much when it is not easy to do for older guys like me. I worked my whole life & started to collect ss & moved to Cebu only to find that I could not live on $1000 a month the way other forums tell people they can when they say live like a king for under $1000 so when I wrote that post I was having a hard time dealing with not being able to live where I had hoped to live out my last days & I have since moved back to the US to gather up some more money as a cushion with hopes or also raising the amount I get for ss. I hope they let me stop my ss & repay what I already took & then wait another year or 2 & start again at the new higher rate. I still wonder how some of the younger men who walk around & look 100% healthy are doing that & where they are getting the money to live but now I no longer care as much coz I am trying to take care of number 1 & not worry about the others there. good luck on your move back & the best of luck :thumbsup: :1247:

gapotwo
Posted
Posted

traveler, HOWDY.you are not the bad guy i thought u were,, apologies accepted, sorry that the PH. did not work for you,the live like a king thing was probably good some ten years ago. but inflation always wins at the end ,so we must adapt and overcome.i could stay here in MAUI, and live a so so life. but i chose to sell everything and go home to the PH. and live on my SSDI. thank god that i dont have to pay rent or utilities as they are included in our family business.my biggest hurdle will be going back to the ways of the country and peoples, i left in 1975 and didnt look back...........HOWthose guys over there make there money is something i dont know,,, but ill let u know when i find out. tanks EJ.:thumbsup: now back to what i was doing......:1247:

BigMoneyBruce
Posted
Posted
traveler, HOWDY.you are not the bad guy i thought u were,, apologies accepted, sorry that the PH. did not work for you,the live like a king thing was probably good some ten years ago. but inflation always wins at the end ,so we must adapt and overcome.i could stay here in MAUI, and live a so so life. but i chose to sell everything and go home to the PH. and live on my SSDI. thank god that i dont have to pay rent or utilities as they are included in our family business.my biggest hurdle will be going back to the ways of the country and peoples, i left in 1975 and didnt look back...........HOWthose guys over there make there money is something i dont know,,, but ill let u know when i find out. tanks EJ.:thumbsup: now back to what i was doing......:1247:
I definitly see Travelers point of all those people who abuse the system and collect benifits from SSI & other goverment programs, who did not pay that much into it and are not really in need of is as they are healthy enough to live a decent life working like the rest of us. It was not aimed at those who actually need it like you and deserve a happy life too. I am working really hard to be one of those young guys walking around the malls making Traveler wonder, but my funds will come from my own hard work, smart planning & luck.

softail
Posted
Posted

I’m just speculating here but in the age of the Internet many of the rules of working changed. I can’t help but feel that many of those young guys you are seeing in the malls in some way are earning money thru the Internet. A lot of people don’t go to the office anymore, they simply perform there duties at home remotely thru the Internet for example or they have some kind of online business.Doug and Sally

gapotwo
Posted
Posted
I’m just speculating here but in the age of the Internet many of the rules of working changed. I can’t help but feel that many of those young guys you are seeing in the malls in some way are earning money thru the Internet. A lot of people don’t go to the office anymore, they simply perform there duties at home remotely thru the Internet for example or they have some kind of online business.Doug and Sally
SOFTAIL..vou hit the nail on the head.....the guy TROLLINGthe malls for chicks, probably just got off work online, if you have a succesful internet job why not do it in the PH. where at 40+ tothe USD. and dam cute chicks. then there is the handfull that are just filthy ritch because of mommy and daddy having way too much money ,and stuffing their kids pocket with money just to keep them out of the house, and off their backs.......sounds like my previous life in the PH. but we didnt have MALLS, we had clubs, disco , and a large following of local chicks,,,,,,some imported. your choice for the day. and lotttsss of beer. ahhhh....memories, or could they be FLASHBACKS????? tanks ej.

• 3 weeks later...
Yank
Posted
Posted

Hello all, Newbie here - I am one of those middle aged guys that is at the mall with my wife. I am not a sexpat but, I do enjoy PI and PI leaving. I also have one of those international jobs that pays well. I am not trying to offend anyone but, I am interested in learning more about employment here in PI.I have 2 boys as well and would like to spend all my time here, I'm just in doubt if I could make it. I am not looking to be rich but, wish to continue a good life with my family here. So if anyone is willing to throw me a bone I would really be grateful.Thanks,Yank