How Do Some Of The Younger Guys Support Themselves

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Hello all, Newbie here - I am one of those middle aged guys that is at the mall with my wife. I am not a sexpat but, I do enjoy PI and PI leaving. I also have one of those international jobs that pays well. I am not trying to offend anyone but, I am interested in learning more about employment here in PI.I have 2 boys as well and would like to spend all my time here, I'm just in doubt if I could make it. I am not looking to be rich but, wish to continue a good life with my family here. So if anyone is willing to throw me a bone I would really be grateful.Thanks,Yank
From what I have seen there are many younger members without pensions who wish to support themselves in the PHL and some make it and some do not. It can be done with an online business or a job from the states or another country that transfers you over. I wish I could help you and the other young guys who seek employment, but I am just one of those pensioners who enjoy spending time with my Filipina wife in the PHL and letting my pensions and SS pay our way. Good luck and I hope you find a way for you and your family to realize your wishes, or that someone helps you to do that.

Gold Heart
Posted
Posted
Hello all, Newbie here - I am one of those middle aged guys that is at the mall with my wife. I am not a sexpat but, I do enjoy PI and PI leaving. I also have one of those international jobs that pays well. I am not trying to offend anyone but, I am interested in learning more about employment here in PI.I have 2 boys as well and would like to spend all my time here, I'm just in doubt if I could make it. I am not looking to be rich but, wish to continue a good life with my family here. So if anyone is willing to throw me a bone I would really be grateful.Thanks,Yank
Your best bet is do find a tele-worker job. I lived there for a year continuing to work my project manager and consultant job. There are some significant downsides to this. It did require that a travel back to the states regularly for meetings which was a burden. It also required that I work nights to participate in meetings. My employer did not know that I was in the Philippines -- therefore travel was at my expense.. The consideration for this work-life choice is a huge impact on quality of life -- working nights, travel, cost, etc. These can be managed for what will be a much more significant salary than you can find in the Philippines. Keep in mind that you may also be officially in violation of your visa working in the Philippines -- but don't know how anyone finds out if you pay your US Taxes as if you are working in the US.The other idea which I utilized while there and may represent a business opportunity for you is the new field of virtual assistants. I realized the enormous talent that is there with low labor rates. I felt I might have more quality time of I could offload some of my work to a lower paid assistant. I posted an add on the local Craigslist for someone with Project management, MS office, MS project, etc. skills and was able to offload my project plan maintenance. Charter documents, project status reports, any analysis that needed to be done to a trusty assistant that I paid by the hour -- at 10% of my pay. Well worth it. I still utlize her to this day. You could find, develop, and market virtual assistants to US professionals who might be looking to do the same or on a task basis. I think there are others doing this already but there is growing demand. I'd love to have a new one as my current one is moving on.Good Luck
  • Like 1

Yank
Posted
Posted

Gold Heart,That is a great tip. That is also my skill set. Thanks again.

Rudderless
Posted
Posted (edited)

How do young guys do it? I'm 35. Does that count?Anyway, I plan to just bank roll my trip. I'm guessing that I have enough saved to do nothing for a good amount of time. To extend that I intend on trying to freelance as a 3D artist with game companies here in the states. We'll see how that goes... if poorly, I will just get another game job somewhere. In the mean time my fingers will be crossed. Either way Cebu will be a great sabbatical at minimum. Maybe I'll also meet the non american love of my life too!Cheers,Rudderless

Edited by Rudderless

Jake
Posted
Posted
How do young guys do it? I'm 35. Does that count?Anyway, I plan to just bank roll my trip. I'm guessing that I have enough saved to do nothing for a good amount of time. To extend that I intend on trying to freelance as a 3D artist with game companies here in the states. We'll see how that goes... if poorly, I will just get another game job somewhere. In the mean time my fingers will be crossed. Either way Cebu will be a great sabbatical at minimum. Maybe I'll also meet the non american love of my life too!Cheers,Ridderless
That sounds like a lucrative job being a 3D gaming programmer! My suggestion to you young man not to fall in love the minute you get off the plane. Get out and explore all the brown sugar you could find. Youdon't need to keep your fingers crossed....he, he. Rudders amidships, full speed ahead -- respectfully, Jake