Why Are They So Afraid Of Allowing Divorce

ekimswish
Posted
Posted
It is about religion. A politician that takes on the church here will probably not only loose his office but the position he's taken too.More people are favouring divorce, in order to cut down on the murder rate.I just don't see it as my place to come into the Philippines and tell Filipino how they should live. Asking why someone is "AFRAID"? Implies you're way is better. What makes you so sure? Wide spread divorce in the USA, its been such a wonderful thing, no?I don't like seeing the church wrapped up in a government the way it is. I think it helps to cause conflict in Mindanao. However, i don't think the Filipino need my input. I think they know exactly what they are doing and choose to do it and its not my place to tell them they are wrong.Never underestimate Filipino.
You're probably right that the self-serving politician doesn't see divorce as an issue he's willing to risk his career over. Although, with growing support and the right twist, it could be viewed positively by a lot of Filipinos. Maybe in 5 years.Personally, I think the murder rate would increase with spouses seeking divorce. Not too many Filipino men in the boondocks could handle that kind of insult. I agree with you that it's not our place to come here and tell them how to run their lives, but as observers, there's nothing wrong with asking the question. Assuming they're afraid of divorce is not that far-fetched judging by their quick dismissal of the issue without any dialogue.Wide-spread divorce in the USA isn't a good or bad thing. Divorce is an end usually preceeded by something bad. People should stop questioning divorce and start questioning the behaviours and values that lead to divorce. No one wants a broken home, especially for children, but two people constantly at each other's throats but unwilling to divorce is hardly any better for the kids than taking a "break." I will agree with you that they know exactly what they're doing, but I disagree that they're doing the right thing. I think they're doing the wrong thing, and they know it, but like the OP, I think they're afraid of it. respectfully, mike

Travis
Posted
Posted

women here are basically slaves & they wish to keep it that way barefoot & preggy. they are either to just raise the babies the men initiate or to go out to work in the stores & bars to bring or send money home or both. basically second class citizens without rights & even their blood sucking parents & families often feel the same way

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
women here are basically slaves & they wish to keep it that way barefoot & preggy. they are either to just raise the babies the men initiate or to go out to work in the stores & bars to bring or send money home or both. basically second class citizens without rights & even their blood sucking parents & families often feel the same way
Chill out old man,lolI can see why you are going back to the home country,its got a lot to do with not understanding or accepting that your ways or what thoughts you have been brought up with are not the only real ones in the world.Look back say 40 years and was the American or any western country ways different? was it not the norm that the husband being the bread winner had his role and the wife was expected to stay home, cook ,clean and ,,,,.Have a little think about it,the Philippines has not caught up with first world ways of thinking yet and wont for some time just like our grandfathers are still thinking today.

MikeB
Posted
Posted
That is a generalization that may or may not apply to some women and please don't tell me I don't know anything because I don't live there. I know plenty of successful women who live and work there who don't fit into your narrow description of "women". They're not all bad and out to take advantage of you but if you have that mindset you will never meet the right one, no matter where you are.

Jake
Posted
Posted

Hello Traveler,My oh my, someone did not get enough sleep last night or you went to bed pissed off and woke up with the same worries or tension. Boss Man and MikeB responded with vaild counter points regarding women in general and also was trying to cheer you up. We are here to help you Travis in your transition back to US.I wish we are there to share a pitcher of MoJo. Even Lee has offered massage services with sensation!Take care my friend -- Jake

Travis
Posted
Posted
That is a generalization that may or may not apply to some women and please don't tell me I don't know anything because I don't live there. I know plenty of successful women who live and work there who don't fit into your narrow description of "women". They're not all bad and out to take advantage of you but if you have that mindset you will never meet the right one, no matter where you are.
Mike I believe you read my post wrong or maybe I did not make write it correctly coz I was being sarcastic & showing things from a Filipino point of view so I ask you about those women you know. do they have to send money home or continually give money to their families? are their families demanding of them? you are correct & I will never find a woman here with my mindset coz I have found 3 great women & 1 that I would have married for sure but it was their bloodsucking families & not them that was the problem that I would not deal with. have you seen all the women working all over the place in Cebu? how many men do you see working compared to the amount of women? that is my point the young attractive women are the bread winners here & work their butts off sometimes literally as bar girls & not to save for their futures but for the most part to give money to their lazy blood sucking lazy families who have nothing to show for all their hard work. wait until you live here full time to see what I have already seen but I hope you find 1 of the good ladies whose families are not like that. maybe I have just been unlucky with 3 out of 3 & some others I went out with as well. the mindset here is all about family but only 1 way & not family caring about their kids & I feel that most often they only breed them for income

Travis
Posted
Posted

sorry Jake boss man mike & anyone else I offended maybe I should not write when I am very tired but maybe they do not want divorce coz of what I wrote. women here are often slaves to their families 1 way or another

MikeB
Posted
Posted
Mike I believe you read my post wrong or maybe I did not make write it correctly coz I was being sarcastic & showing things from a Filipino point of view so I ask you about those women you know. do they have to send money home or continually give money to their families? are their families demanding of them? you are correct & I will never find a woman here with my mindset coz I have found 3 great women & 1 that I would have married for sure but it was their bloodsucking families & not them that was the problem that I would not deal with. have you seen all the women working all over the place in Cebu? how many men do you see working compared to the amount of women? that is my point the young attractive women are the bread winners here & work their butts off sometimes literally as bar girls & not to save for their futures but for the most part to give money to their lazy blood sucking lazy families who have nothing to show for all their hard work. wait until you live here full time to see what I have already seen but I hope you find 1 of the good ladies whose families are not like that. maybe I have just been unlucky with 3 out of 3 & some others I went out with as well. the mindset here is all about family but only 1 way & not family caring about their kids & I feel that most often they only breed them for income
Traveler, I do not know how many are giving money to their families but I suspect it's a high percentage because theirs' is a much more family-oriented society then the Western norm. There is truth in what you are saying but what I objected to was your generalization and I didn't realize you were being sarcastic. It's very easy to misunderstand and be misunderstood. You're doing the right thing, if you're not happy it's time to try something different and I wish you the best and hope you will continue to contribute your pov to the forum, wherever you are.

stef
Posted
Posted

This bit is true as traveler said women here are treated as basically second class citizens

No name
Posted
Posted
Unfortunately, Traveller you are not off base here. The anger toward it, if there, might be but your thoughts are not.I have heard many Filipina say the same kind of thing.I know women that feel they are second class citizens, that is the one's I know well.I try to see things through Filipino eyes and its not every completely possible. But the look at the USA primarily and they see our cars and our 10 lane highways and our 100s of highways just from Memphis to Jackson, Ms. and they see an immense wealth, a wealth most cannot fully understand. Often Filipino think we have never ending cash, heck some American's seem to have never ending cash to me. haha They don't understand us and we don't understand them.The Philippines and how we like it here or don't depends on our own views to a large extent but it also has to do with the people we are lucky enough or unlucky enough to meet. Perhaps you are like me, not very lucky.I don't know your history here. Did you come and hate it and leave never to return? I'm only asking. :) I don't know. Its not for everyone. We don't really pick who we are. We are born into it and the life happens and life is often not very pleasant. Hmm, this may not be coming out. I'm trying to be supportive or at least empathic.