Balikbayan Stamp Being Only A Few Days Out Of The Philippines

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
The onward ticket requirement is an IATA (International Air Transport Association) rule, not airline. According to this from the IATA database you do not need an onward ticket if you have BB status:
When you are traveling with your spouse as a legitimate balikbayan, then your post seems very accurate. I suggest that you keep in mind that the ticket agents are not lawyers and will enforce the rules as they see fit. Its up to you to try to win that battle before the plane takes off. While it makes sense to carry that regulation with you when traveling with your BB spouse, I suggest from experience that travel is much simpler when you have a throw away ticket in your pocket.I emphasize legitimate because they do NOT recognize common law spouses, as I found out when traveling with my live in spouse of 3 years. I WAS required to have an exit ticket. No big deal. I was prepared.

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

MikeB,I've been searching your page info and can't find the URL page you are referring to concerning this portion of your post: Those granted Balikbayan status (stamped in passport onarrival) being former nationals of the Philippines holding oldPhilippine passport together with their foreign passport orCertificate of Recognition or foreign naturalization papersshowing former Philippine citizenship or certification fromadopted country:visa not required for a stay of max. 1 year.Travelling on a one-way ticket is allowed.Also applies to spouse and children of the former national.So why have Balikbayans been purchasing Follow-on tickets for travel in and around Asia prior to one's BB stamp's expiration? Most airline ticket counter employees in Asia have been enforcing the follow-on ticket rule for Balikbayans and regular tourists! There's no doubt that a round trip and or follow-on ticket are mandatory for regular tourists! A few months ago, my wife and I did return to Manila from SFO on a one-way ticket and got our BB stamp upon arrival! I just want a good reference where it says, "Travelling on a one-way ticket is allowed" for "Balikbayans!

Edited by Fil/AmArt

MikeB
Posted
Posted
MikeB,I've been searching your page info and can't find the URL page you are referring to concerning this portion of your post: Those granted Balikbayan status (stamped in passport onarrival) being former nationals of the Philippines holding oldPhilippine passport together with their foreign passport orCertificate of Recognition or foreign naturalization papersshowing former Philippine citizenship or certification fromadopted country:visa not required for a stay of max. 1 year.Travelling on a one-way ticket is allowed.Also applies to spouse and children of the former national.So why have Balikbayans been purchasing Follow-on tickets for travel in and around Asia prior to one's BB stamp's expiration? Most airline ticket counter employees in Asia have been enforcing the follow-on ticket rule for Balikbayans and regular tourists! There's no doubt that a round trip and or follow-on ticket are mandatory for regular tourists! A few months ago, my wife and I did return to Manila from SFO on a one-way ticket and got our BB stamp upon arrival! I just want a good reference where it says, "Travelling on a one-way ticket is allowed" for "Balikbayans!
You're not going to find the document for free online, it's in the IATA Timatic database that the airlines and travel agents use. The db is incorporated into their computer systems, that's how they check these rules. You can purchase a hard copy of the TIM manual though.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
You're not going to find the document for free online, it's in the IATA Timatic database that the airlines and travel agents use. The db is incorporated into their computer systems, that's how they check these rules. You can purchase a hard copy of the TIM manual though.
Mike, could you scan in the original with the rule number and post it here so members can copy it and print it?

MikeB
Posted
Posted
Mike, could you scan in the original with the rule number and post it here so members can copy it and print it?
I pulled the passage from an article that referenced that section of the rules pertaining to the Philippines. If you wanted legal backing I think you would need access to the db or the manual.

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

MikeB,What you originally posted came from some URL page that you copied and pasted from, I'm sure you didn't write it out in your own words from the looks of it. It's truly hard to accept your post as facts without the reference where it came from other than just saying it's an IATA ruling and not the Airline's! The follow-on ticket rule is clear to all, but one being allowed to use a one-way ticket to the Philippines isn't, even though my wife and I have experienced it. I just haven't seen it in writing anywhere until you mentioned it on your post here!

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
MikeB,What you originally posted came from some URL page that you copied and pasted from, I'm sure you didn't write it out in your own words from the looks of it. It's truly hard to accept your post as facts without the reference where it came from other than just saying it's an IATA ruling and not the Airline's! The follow-on ticket rule is clear to all, but one being allowed to use a one-way ticket to the Philippines isn't, even though my wife and I have experienced it. I just haven't seen it in writing anywhere until you mentioned it on your post here!
That's a very good point. Following your wisdom, I searched for myself and found 3 different forums quoting the same information almost word for word, BUT, no one gives a reliable source. It is possible it comes from an IATA handbook but I am not going to buy one to find out. It is also possible that someone out there is very fluent in legalese and many others are good at copy and paste.Now I too am curious to see where this quote originated.

MikeB
Posted
Posted
That's a very good point. Following your wisdom, I searched for myself and found 3 different forums quoting the same information almost word for word, BUT, no one gives a reliable source. It is possible it comes from an IATA handbook but I am not going to buy one to find out. It is also possible that someone out there is very fluent in legalese and many others are good at copy and paste.Now I too am curious to see where this quote originated.
That's true and next time (if there is one) I will put a "source unverified" dislaimer. Since I'm not married it doesn't apply to me anyway but I would think that any IATA-accredited travel agency would have access to this information and could provide it. I used to work on their computer systems and I know the major ones are, the few remaining that haven't been squeezed out of business by the airlines and internet.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

It appears that the Philippine Embassy in Japan seems to feel Balikbayans do need a return or onward ticket. HERE is their website which states. Balikbayan ProgramFilipino and former Filipino citizens, including their spouses and *unmarried children categorized as Balikbayans under Republic Act 6768 dated 20 October 1989, who are going to visit the Philippines, shall likewise continue to enjoy the privilege of a no-visa entry for a stay of one year.Requirements:

• Must travel together with the Filipino or former Filipino (spouse or parent)
  • Valid Passport (validity should not be less than six months beyond contemplated period of stay in the Philippines)
  • Return ticket to country of origin or ticket to next country of destination.
  • Proof of former Filipino citizenship (i.e. Birth Certificate, old Philippine passport etc.); for dependents of Filipinos/former Filipinos: proof of relationship (i.e. Marriage Contract, Birth Certificate, Koseki Tohon with English translation, etc.)

So what I think would count, would be what any entity of the PHL govt says that their view on this is.

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

I've been browsing lately and I too have noticed other countries revising the "Balikbayan Program" requirements and inserting the "follow-on" ticket rule other than here in the Philippines! But, everyone by now knows all about the "follow-on" ticket rule, except for what my wife and I experienced coming from the U.S. to Manila as Balikbayans, when an LBC booking agent in San Jose, Ca. sold us our one-way tickets to Manila from SFO just a few years ago! And just 2 months ago we vacationed in California and again returned to the Philippines on a one-way ticket! I have yet to see it in writing where a one-way ticket is allowed other than hearing it by word of mouth by the travel agent who sold us the PAL tickets from California! They know something that the public doesn't! PAL was the only airline who had exclusive rights to sell one-way tickets, because I tried with other airlines and they refused to sell us one-way tickets! So go figure! I haven't yet found that answer in writing except for MikeB's original post above without a reference!

Edited by Fil/AmArt