Life Without Aircon?

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Rusty mentioned in Lee’s electric rate increase post that he would be unwilling to go without aircon. I feel the same way during my visits; no aircon would be a deal breaker for me now. How many forum members forgo aircon? Can you get by OK just using fans and cool showers or do you require air-conditioning?

ancienrocka
Posted
Posted

I have never had air-con since I arrived here 4 years ago and really don't miss it.My Veco bill is around 1300p a month and sometimes I even feel cold. I think the body adapts to the ambient temperature over time - it took me about a year to get used to the Australian climate when I went there from England 30 years ago.

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

It really depends where one lives and what type of a home design one lives in, but I'm sure that the majority living in the Philippines must have air conditioning to make life a little bit more pleasant in order to live the comfy life when the weather is too warm to bare! Just as simple as that!

Jim Sibbick
Posted
Posted
Rusty mentioned in Lee’s electric rate increase post that he would be unwilling to go without aircon. I feel the same way during my visits; no aircon would be a deal breaker for me now. How many forum members forgo aircon? Can you get by OK just using fans and cool showers or do you require air-conditioning?
I can get by on fans most of the time but there are some days for me when a fan just isn't doing it and I turn on the aircon. Regards: Jim

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
I am spoiled because we have air conditioning in our home in Florida, so I do not wish to do without it in the Philippines either. I also find the aircon seems to keep the pollution out of our condo in Cebu so that helps me keep my lungs clear because I seem to get bronchitis often without it. There are many days a year that I can do without aircond while in Cebu and I have even slept out on the balcony some evenings and it was very cool out there. All in all it is a personal choice but for those of us who do not live there full time, it seems to be harder to adapt to a life without it. Our electric bill runs pretty high in Cebu with one 2.5 HP unit running full time but I am going to experiment with it when we get back next year and try turning it up a couple of degrees when we go out as I now do in our Florida home, and then turning it back down when we get home and leaving it off on all cooler days and nights. 

No name
Posted
Posted

I tried turning mine off during the day when I first got here.It just made me too sick. I wanted to go without it so I could get use to being out of it more when I go outside.Chest infections finally forced me to shut the windows and turn the AC back on. I could probably take it if I moved to Valencia or Bagiuo. Living cot in Bagiuo appear to be high though. Valencia not as cool but cooler.Valencia seems to be the perfect temperature for breeding dengue carrying mosequitoes. They have had high number of cases in the past. I've not checked lately.

Jake
Posted
Posted
Hey OLD55,As always, good post starter!  My family seem to adapt fairly quickly to the tropical climates.  To be honest with you, I was the only one crying for some AC from time to time.  As long as the open windows have screens to keep out the bugs, especially mosquitoes at night, then we sleep pretty good just using fans.  During the hot and muggy period, taking a tabu-tabu shower at least 3-4 times a day providessome relief.The issue with air quality and noise is of course dependent on where you reside.  For those of you still canvassing for an area to live, try to visit the place at night before you sign a lease or mortgage agreement.  Is it in the immediate area of people hanging around to cause noise and pollution from jeepney or tricycle pickup area?  Is it near a place where people stay late at night for drinking sessions and loudkaraoke?  How about stray dogs and trying to walk around their fresh droppings late at night?  Some things to consider.......Respectfully -- Jake

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

Something must be wrong with me. I do well without AC. Only exception is in a car or bus.

ekimswish
Posted
Posted

I do well without AC, but absolutely take a lot of cold showers. I find when we're in a hotel and have AC we overcompensate and I end up freezing at night, but the rooms don't always come with thick blankets, as I'm used to having in colder countries. I'm also the kind of guy who will hang around the house in underwear if I'm free to. If people are around, I'll throw on some shorts, but leave off the shirt. If it's really hot, you can dip your shirt in water, soak it out a bit, and then put it back on. I usually wear basketball style clothes, so sleeveless shirts and jerseys, while in the Phils.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Thanks guys I was curious how others cope. I can take the heat up to a point then must have a place to cool off in or I get ill. I spent a weekend in the mountains above CDO last April and that was the only time I ever felt comfortable in Philippines it was kinda hot but doable with a fan.