Life Without Aircon?

jode
Posted
Posted (edited)

i had a house in mandaue for 7 months that had ac only in bedrooms. To open the bedroom door in the morning and get blasted with the heat was unpleasant. However with fans it was tolerable during the day in the house.

One problem with that is that with windows open all the time you have more noise and irritations like smoke drifting from burning garbage nearby. It is a way to feel less shut off from your local envirenment if you really want to experience the Philippines. To be closed up inside an air-coned house is almost as isolating as being closed up inside, from the cold, in winter back home.

The place I have now is the opposite. the living area has ac and the bedroom doesn't. However with the door open and a fan on us it is comfortable sleeping at night. The electricity is included in our rent so its nice to not have to worry about driving up the bill. We are considerate enough of the landlords expenses though, to shut off ac when we leave and for most of the night.

You can adjust to the heat somewhat but only to a point. Even the filipinoes get hot and overheated on some days. The constant heat is one of the things that wears on you here and in my experience a top reason why some guys decide to leave after awhile. In Baguio its several degrees cooler and an option for those who want to live here without constant oppresive heat.

Edited by jode
  • Like 1