Life Without Aircon?

United Army
Posted
Posted

I can do without aircon most of the days here in PH, but like other members stated other days to have aircon is a must, when sleeping is a good example. My electric bill runs around P3,000 on average per month.

Inspector
Posted
Posted

Without aircon, I sweat. When I sweat, I smell. I then need to take a shower, and if I come out into no aircon, I start the process all over.After 4-5 showers, and 4-5 pairs of underwear and shirts, you begin to wonder why you don't have an aircon.Then, you read your electric bill and say, sweat away. If you can't sweat in the Philippines, you are either a local, or very old.

joeatmanila
Posted
Posted

I do have "aircon" in my bedroom, kid's bedroom and my office. Only the kids is using his since he does not like sleeping warm. Since i placed granite tiles at the entire house, isolated the roof, keep windows open with screens for flies and mosquitos, no need for aircon. Shade is the best defence of the house against the sun which boils the walls and eventually the heat is transferred accordingly.For a new comer, aircon is a must. When you rent a couple and build a couple of houses then you'll know how and where to make your house without needing A/c :541:

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted
Without aircon, I sweat. When I sweat, I smell. I then need to take a shower, and if I come out into no aircon, I start the process all over.After 4-5 showers, and 4-5 pairs of underwear and shirts, you begin to wonder why you don't have an aircon.Then, you read your electric bill and say, sweat away. If you can't sweat in the Philippines, you are either a local, or very old.
Damn Inspector, I'm already sweating just by looking at your new avatar. However, as a personal suggestion, you may need toselect another less dramatic photo of "yourself" to prevent potential heart attacks of DOM's like myself.....he, he.Need to take a cold shower -- Jake

Jake
Posted
Posted
I do have "aircon" in my bedroom, kid's bedroom and my office. Only the kids is using his since he does not like sleeping warm. Since i placed granite tiles at the entire house, isolated the roof, keep windows open with screens for flies and mosquitos, no need for aircon. Shade is the best defence of the house against the sun which boils the walls and eventually the heat is transferred accordingly.For a new comer, aircon is a must. When you rent a couple and build a couple of houses then you'll know how and where to make your house without needing A/c :541:
Well, hello my friend. I would assume you just came back from your venture out in the ocean because we haven't heard from you for awhile.Welcome back Joe!Respectfully -- Jake

Inspector
Posted
Posted
Damn Inspector, I'm already sweating just by looking at your new avatar. However, as a personal suggestion, you may need toselect another less dramatic photo of "yourself" to prevent potential heart attacks of DOM's like myself.....he, he.Need to take a cold shower -- Jake
That's me singing Rocket Man....which I do happily when I suddenly awaken in the morning at attention. My grandmother who lived in Queens was 90 when my mom and dad did the right thing...put her down. Well, actually they sent her off to Staten Island to an old folks home, which is basically the same thing, maybe worst. Bingo Friday's and pudding Thursdays.... and crossword puzzle books with letters like thisWe would visit once a year...or three, maybe four, being she didn't do much of anything except sit there rocking and complaining how cold she was, in the summer. I would sweat, she would drool, I would complain how hot it was, and she would complain to my mom she needed another sweater on, and close the window as the chilly winds were giving her goosebumps. Did I mention she also smelled....and while I always loved my Nana, because she gave me a dollar when I visited her in Queens, when she got real old, the dollar was not worth the sweat. I said to her, "nana...I will need 5 bucks to visit from now on, I'm in my 30's and a buck aint doing it anymore"...she would say, "5 ducks?... where?" I knew then and there Nana was old, and never quite could understand what inflation meant, and thankful the F word was not something her generation said a lot.

• 1 year later...
Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

its a must have in our house, rarely do we run it during the day

yet at night it does. 1 for my childs room. then mine. Yes the electric is over 4k (sometimes 5)

but its worth the extra comfort that it offers,

have installed extra installation in the ceiling,weather strip around most of the room windows.

double curtains to block out the sun/heat during the hotest part of the day,

doing this has helped to keep the rooms slightly(tho not much)cooler,

I do make sure that the window units are cleaned at least 2x yearly,

as they do get quite dirty,

i am bob
Posted
Posted

its a must have in our house, rarely do we run it during the day

yet at night it does. 1 for my childs room. then mine. Yes the electric is over 4k (sometimes 5)

but its worth the extra comfort that it offers,

have installed extra installation in the ceiling,weather strip around most of the room windows.

double curtains to block out the sun/heat during the hotest part of the day,

doing this has helped to keep the rooms slightly(tho not much)cooler,

I do make sure that the window units are cleaned at least 2x yearly,

as they do get quite dirty,

Insulation is great and sealing your windows does good too! Make sure you have some way of getting all the hot air back out at night and that will help reduce your cooling costs. Maybe drop an exhaust fan into your attic for when the day starts to cool off... and one for inside the house too!! Though the direction won't make much difference in the Philippines (close to the equator), draw air in from the north and exhaust to the south.

billten
Posted
Posted

I don't like aircon, it gives me a bad cough and sinus pain. We moved up to the mountains outside of Carcar and i haven't used aircon or a fan for the last 6 years. The only place we do is in the car when we head to the city. There are many places in Cebu that the climate is a lot cooler and are still close enough to Cebu to enjoy the city delights as you feel the need. It just takes a bit of patience to find the right one for you...

• Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted

I have aircon but choose not to use it .... the first few months here I did as the windows in the apartment I rented were sealed up and covered with plywood ..... as soon as I removed this I shut the aircon off ...... I'm sure glad to see that there are others that have done the same ... for awhile some people almost had me convinced that I could not live here like that and had to live the way they do ...... (you'll notice I said ALMOST) ...... :hystery: :hystery:

• Like 1