Soda Pop Consumption

ekimswish
Posted
Posted

I actually haven't drank much since I've been back the last week. I feel more focused on getting settled and saving money. At the same time, I drink a ton of pop of different varieties. It seems like every Sari-Sari store is selling juice mix powder, orange sodas or coca-cola. Since we've been outside busy cleaning up my mother-in-law's house as well as planning to build a nipa hut, my daughter always wants "JUICE". Every time I take her to the store, soda is the only option, and that's alright by her. But myself, too. In the hot weather I'm always more than happy to down a soda. Is there a direct correlation between hot weather and sugary drinks? Or is that just the culture here. If I drank this much pop in Korea I think I would feel sick.

MikeB
Posted
Posted
I actually haven't drank much since I've been back the last week. I feel more focused on getting settled and saving money. At the same time, I drink a ton of pop of different varieties. It seems like every Sari-Sari store is selling juice mix powder, orange sodas or coca-cola. Since we've been outside busy cleaning up my mother-in-law's house as well as planning to build a nipa hut, my daughter always wants "JUICE". Every time I take her to the store, soda is the only option, and that's alright by her. But myself, too. In the hot weather I'm always more than happy to down a soda. Is there a direct correlation between hot weather and sugary drinks? Or is that just the culture here. If I drank this much pop in Korea I think I would feel sick.
That's one bad habit I don't have. It's bad stuff, no essential nutrients and packed with sugar and preservatives - http://www.emedexper...ft-drinks.shtml I stick to to H2O, Corona, and Australian merlot (so much for buy American). Now if you wanna trade livers.....th_signs083.gif

Jake
Posted
Posted
That's one bad habit I don't have. It's bad stuff, no essential nutrients and packed with sugar and preservatives - http://www.emedexper...ft-drinks.shtml I stick to to H2O, Corona, and Australian merlot (so much for buy American). Now if you wanna trade livers.....th_signs083.gif
Point well taken MikeB. When I came back from PI, I had a full blown medical check up and the US doctor was in shock that I was still walkingaround with a single piece 2cm kidney stone (diameter slightly less than a golf ball). It was mostly attributed to all those Sarsi sodas in PI.Plus unknown to me at the time, it also accelerated the symptoms of type II diabetes. Needless to say, water, ice tea and beer are my onlyliquid intakes. Hey Ekimswish, I know that you are still young and unbreakable but please learn from our mistakes.Respectfully -- Jake

Art2ro
Posted
Posted
Point well taken MikeB. When I came back from PI, I had a full blown medical check up and the US doctor was in shock that I was still walkingaround with a single piece 2cm kidney stone (diameter slightly less than a golf ball). It was mostly attributed to all those Sarsi sodas in PI.Plus unknown to me at the time, it also accelerated the symptoms of type II diabetes. Needless to say, water, ice tea and beer are my onlyliquid intakes. Hey Ekimswish, I know that you are still young and unbreakable but please learn from our mistakes.Respectfully -- Jake
If one lives in the province, young coconut juice is the thing to quench your thirst and it's better for you health wise!http://www.knowledgebase-script.com/demo/article-320.html

Jake
Posted
Posted
If one lives in the province, young coconut juice is the thing to quench your thirst and it's better for you health wise!http://www.knowledge...rticle-320.html
I'm sorry Art, I misread your comment as "young virgin juice". Dang, am I a DOM or what??Anyway, excellent article about the health benefits of coconut juice, thank you sir.Jake

Art2ro
Posted
Posted
If one lives in the province, young coconut juice is the thing to quench your thirst and it's better for you health wise!http://www.knowledge...rticle-320.html
I'm sorry Art, I misread your comment as "young virgin juice". Dang, am I a DOM or what??Anyway, excellent article about the health benefits of coconut juice, thank you sir.Jake
Jake, Here's my favorite juice now since you introduced it to me!

ekimswish
Posted
Posted

That's amazing because the main crop around here is copra (coconut oil?), and I've been asking why there's not coconut milk (juice?)! I should tell someone to start preparing me a days worth of coconut juice all the time. They tell me that's what tuba is, but I need something to share with my kids, and I don't wanna be drunk all the time!

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)
That's amazing because the main crop around here is copra (coconut oil?), and I've been asking why there's not coconut milk (juice?)! I should tell someone to start preparing me a days worth of coconut juice all the time. They tell me that's what tuba is, but I need something to share with my kids, and I don't wanna be drunk all the time!
Hey Mike,Just grab a basket full of fresh coconuts, pop them in the frig for a couple hours, make a hole and suck the juice using any means possible.(Wait a minute, are we still talking about coconuts here)? I prefer mine chilled and then get a bolo knife, cut it open and enjoy the virgin white meat inside. You and your children will never go back to sodas.A side topic -- when you get a chance, please scope out any surfing spots and any prevailing strong winds for flat water windsurfing. More importantly, tell us where there are abundant pair of "coconuts" walking around in string bikinis. Respectfully -- JakePS -- stay away from tuba, it's nasty chit........ Edited by Jake
  • Like 1

adventureguy
Posted
Posted

I definitely avoid too many pop or soft drinks. The chilled fresh coconut juice is something I need to try.

• Like 1

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

Water from a young coconut may just taste like plain water, you can add a little sugar or some sort of sweetener to taste or just have the vendor scrap the meat inside of the coconut of what is remaining inside and that should add more of the true coconut flavor! My wife buys the juice and meat of young coconuts every week at the market, she just loves the stuff! She only drinks mineral bottled water or coconut juice and nothing else maybe except for the juice and pulp from water melons/cantaloupes/honey dew type fruits and decaffeinated coffee or tea!

Edited by Fil/AmArt