Soda Pop Consumption

oldutot
Posted
Posted (edited)
I actually haven't drank much since I've been back the last week. I feel more focused on getting settled and saving money. At the same time, I drink a ton of pop of different varieties. It seems like every Sari-Sari store is selling juice mix powder, orange sodas or coca-cola. Since we've been outside busy cleaning up my mother-in-law's house as well as planning to build a nipa hut, my daughter always wants "JUICE". Every time I take her to the store, soda is the only option, and that's alright by her. But myself, too. In the hot weather I'm always more than happy to down a soda. Is there a direct correlation between hot weather and sugary drinks? Or is that just the culture here. If I drank this much pop in Korea I think I would feel sick.
That's one bad habit I don't have. It's bad stuff, no essential nutrients and packed with sugar and preservatives - http://www.emedexper...ft-drinks.shtml I stick to to H2O, Corona, and Australian merlot (so much for buy American). Now if you wanna trade livers.....th_signs083.gif
Point well taken MikeB. When I came back from PI, I had a full blown medical check up and the US doctor was in shock that I was still walkingaround with a single piece 2cm kidney stone (diameter slightly less than a golf ball). It was mostly attributed to all those Sarsi sodas in PI.Plus unknown to me at the time, it also accelerated the symptoms of type II diabetes. Needless to say, water, ice tea and beer are my onlyliquid intakes. Hey Ekimswish, I know that you are still young and unbreakable but please learn from our mistakes.Respectfully -- Jake
Hey Jake, How was a stone that size removed. Having stones are painful, Been there done that. It was great talking with you over the phone. Take care brother Edited by oldutot

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

A little off topic but I have been told the water in the PHL has lots of calcium in it, so best to not drink tap water and maybe best to drink only filtered water, even in the cities. BTW, I tested it with water in a glass in our condo in Cebu City and just let it sit over night and there was plenty of sediment at the bottom of the glass in the morning. I also have to clean the strainers on the faucets quite often.

• Like 1

adventureguy
Posted
Posted
A little off topic but I have been told the water in the PHL has lots of calcium in it, so best to not drink tap water and maybe best to drink only filtered water, even in the cities. BTW, I tested it with water in a glass in our condo in Cebu City and just let it sit over night and there was plenty of sediment at the bottom of the glass in the morning. I also have to clean the strainers on the faucets quite often.
Thanks that's good to know. I already drink only bottled water, but now I can justify it even more. :crack-up:

Jake
Posted
Posted
I actually haven't drank much since I've been back the last week. I feel more focused on getting settled and saving money. At the same time, I drink a ton of pop of different varieties. It seems like every Sari-Sari store is selling juice mix powder, orange sodas or coca-cola. Since we've been outside busy cleaning up my mother-in-law's house as well as planning to build a nipa hut, my daughter always wants "JUICE". Every time I take her to the store, soda is the only option, and that's alright by her. But myself, too. In the hot weather I'm always more than happy to down a soda. Is there a direct correlation between hot weather and sugary drinks? Or is that just the culture here. If I drank this much pop in Korea I think I would feel sick.
That's one bad habit I don't have. It's bad stuff, no essential nutrients and packed with sugar and preservatives - http://www.emedexper...ft-drinks.shtml I stick to to H2O, Corona, and Australian merlot (so much for buy American). Now if you wanna trade livers.....th_signs083.gif
Point well taken MikeB. When I came back from PI, I had a full blown medical check up and the US doctor was in shock that I was still walkingaround with a single piece 2cm kidney stone (diameter slightly less than a golf ball). It was mostly attributed to all those Sarsi sodas in PI.Plus unknown to me at the time, it also accelerated the symptoms of type II diabetes. Needless to say, water, ice tea and beer are my onlyliquid intakes. Hey Ekimswish, I know that you are still young and unbreakable but please learn from our mistakes.Respectfully -- Jake
Hey Jake, How was a stone that size removed. Having stones are painful, Been there done that. It was great talking with you over the phone. Take care brother
Hello Oldutot,Option A was to zap it with ultrasound but even with the smaller pieces broken up, they would still be too big to pass through my urethra. So they surgically removed it from the back as a single piece. It was also very nice talking to you.Respectfully -- Jake

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

Jake, You might get Judy to bottle force feed you 1%20(60).gifmocking.gif with "BUKO JUICE", the coconut water of life since it's also good for IV drips too! cheersty.gifunsure.gif7500.gif

ekimswish
Posted
Posted

Now now... I love Tuba. I was just pondering if my first tattoo could be a tribute to the stuff. All the local people in this town drink is tuba. My mother-in-law needs it to relax (addict?). It's like red wine... though I'm no conesseiur (spell-check). It's not strong, so it's a good drink to socialize without getting out of hand like soju in Korea. Drink slowly for a long time, and still just on a buzz. I want to avoid getting wrecked as to many things could go wrong. So yesterday I got one of our neighbors to climb a coconut tree and bring down four. He showed me how to open it, and then how to carve a spoon out of the shell to dig out the meat. Later I tried to open one myself with my newly bought Sundang (local word for bolo knife?). I was pretty bad, but careful to keep my thumb and feet out of the way. Today I chopped another one, and did a better job. Still careful with the fingers. I'm trying to pour the coconut juice into a plastic bottle so I can drink it gradually throughout the day. My 3 year old hates it though. At least I found a store in the next town with healthy juices we can buy. Off topic, I got 3 blisters yesterday practicing my sundang on a big stick I was shaving and carving down. My city slicker hands need some toughening up. Half on topic, I got some hard work in today pumping water from our pump. We just fixed it, and it hadn't been used in years, so there was lots of little debris in it I needed to pump out. After 20 minutes of pumping, I think I got it clean enough for a shower. I noticed at our neighbors house they're drinking the water from the pump. Everyone says it comes from a source about 8 meters down. I was drinking it as is everyone, but later in the day some people warned me not to give it to the baby in her milk. (I wasn't going to.)

• Like 1

No name
Posted
Posted (edited)
That's amazing because the main crop around here is copra (coconut oil?), and I've been asking why there's not coconut milk (juice?)! I should tell someone to start preparing me a days worth of coconut juice all the time. They tell me that's what tuba is, but I need something to share with my kids, and I don't wanna be drunk all the time!
You mentioned tuba but there is your answer. It has all been converted to tuba haha :)Perhaps most of the people living there don't need to buy coconut juice. They just make it themselves? Edited by Flirltilzier

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I thought the juice or milk from a coconut was a natural laxative. If so one would not want to have too much.Am I correct here or did I hear wrong?

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)
I thought the juice or milk from a coconut was a natural laxative. If so one would not want to have too much.Am I correct here or did I hear wrong?
Spoken like a true detective. Yes, I personally found by consuming too much will cause some "hershey squirts".But that's a good thing. The pipes need to be cleaned anyway, especially after eating mystery meat off the streets.My regards to Mrs Columbo -- Jake Edited by Jake

No name
Posted
Posted (edited)
Spoken like a true detective. Yes, I personally found by consuming too much will cause some "hershey squirts".But that's a good thing. The pipes need to be cleaned anyway, especially after eating mystery meat off the streets.My regards to Mrs Columbo -- Jake
It is the "double dead" meat you need to worry about. :crack-up: Tons of it were seized in Luzon this week.Double dead meat is meat from livestock that died of natural causes and then butchered. Been several bust related to that problem lately. Edited by Jake