Internet Service Providers (Philippines)

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Philippine ISPs suck compared to most other countries. Unfortunately we have to put up with what is available or move to one of those other countries.I use SmartBro with the USB modem and they seem to limit my upload speeds. The download speeds are acceptable in the middle of the night when I want to download torrents, (providing I don't get a disconnect while I am asleep as it requires a manual restart each time it loses signal).My upload speeds at any time of the day or night seem to reach a MAXIMUM of 5 kB/s and usually half of that. I tried my neighbor's Globe service (landline phone and Internet package) and his upload speeds seem to be similarly stifled.This means I cannot effectively reseed to torrent sites which means I am running out of credits and will soon not be able to download from those sites. SugarwareZ-034.gifI want to know who else has their upload speeds limited and if they have found a work around. I also want to know if PLDT does the same thing. I would hate to switch to PLDT and find the same problem. Those 3 seem to be my only choices in the area I live.

URGIRL
Posted
Posted

i used to have GLOBE with land line but its so slow :) so i switch to SMART BRO, i got here the old smart bro with antina and with the speed of 10.00 mbps not the new wimax they said its just the same but one of my friend bought the product but its so slow :( mine is good but its a bit slow if its raining tho so what i do is i bought router in cdr-king and now i have 100.0 mbps... well i heard dsl which is the PLDT is ok maybe yeah cz internet cafe usually used...tc be safe out there...kind regards,Che che

Philippine ISPs suck compared to most other countries. Unfortunately we have to put up with what is available or move to one of those other countries.I use SmartBro with the USB modem and they seem to limit my upload speeds. The download speeds are acceptable in the middle of the night when I want to download torrents, (providing I don't get a disconnect while I am asleep as it requires a manual restart each time it loses signal).My upload speeds at any time of the day or night seem to reach a MAXIMUM of 5 kB/s and usually half of that. I tried my neighbor's Globe service (landline phone and Internet package) and his upload speeds seem to be similarly stifled.This means I cannot effectively reseed to torrent sites which means I am running out of credits and will soon not be able to download from those sites. SugarwareZ-034.gifI want to know who else has their upload speeds limited and if they have found a work around. I also want to know if PLDT does the same thing. I would hate to switch to PLDT and find the same problem. Those 3 seem to be my only choices in the area I live.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

I use PLDT in our condo and pay p1650 a month with a phone and it took me many complaints and numerous saved speed tests at Speedtest.net to get them to finally provide what I was paying for, which was 1Mbps, and since the last complaint our speed had remained pretty constant  and right up near or above what we are paying for, so it can be done. My only advice would be to call up and complain a number of times and then eventually go to the main office and speak to a manager because they can provide the speed you pay for if they want to, they just keep coming back to their standard line that the service is "UP TO sir", so you have to get them out of tunnel vision and especially if you are paying for a higher speed, and they are providing you with a lower speed they also offer. When I went to the manager and she said to me that the service is UP TO sir, I said to her, "I do not mean to be disrespectful with what I am going to say, but if you went to the store and bought 10 bananas and came home and found you only had 3 would you be happy" her reply was no, so I said well I am buying 10 bananas and you are only supplying me with around 3 or 4 and if all you can supply me with is 3 or 4, then please lower my bill and charge me for 3 or 4, and that seemed to get her out of tunnel vision. It is sad but customer service reps are hammered into the "up to" mentality and therefore only know that one answer, and most Filipinos never complain so the companies can get away with giving less than people pay for and with hardly ever getting a complaint about it. I do not know if my way would work for most of you, but we have to at least try because they are too darned used to people just being accepting of getting cheated and not saying a peep about it.

MikeB
Posted
Posted
i used to have GLOBE with land line but its so slow :) so i switch to SMART BRO, i got here the old smart bro with antina and with the speed of 10.00 mbps not the new wimax they said its just the same but one of my friend bought the product but its so slow :( mine is good but its a bit slow if its raining tho so what i do is i bought router in cdr-king and now i have 100.0 mbps... well i heard dsl which is the PLDT is ok maybe yeah cz internet cafe usually used...tc be safe out there...kind regards,Che che
Maybe I'm reading this wrong, you're getting speeds of 10 and 100 megabits per sec in the Philippines?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

To recap before my question gets lost

Philippine ISPs suck compared to most other countries. . . I want to know who else has their upload speeds limited and if they have found a work around.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted (edited)
Philippine ISPs suck compared to most other countries.  . . I want to know who else has their upload speeds limited and if they have found a work around.
Sorry if my answer wandered, but the point I was trying to make is that we are happy with PLDT once we got them out of tunnel vision, and now both the upload and download speeds have stayed pretty close to the stated speeds 24/7 since they fixed it, so it works well when we stream video. ADDED The only work around I know is to get the provider to give you what you pay for.Secondary, I have also used Smart Bro  USB thumb drive device while traveling around the PHL and in our condo and found it to be fairly constant but only in places where I had full signal strength on my Smart Cell phone, yet I have heard of others complain about the same item, so I would say it might be worth a try for you (if that is not what you are using now) since I now see they offer unlimited for p50 a day, but only if your Smart cell phone has full signal bars constantly where you live.  Edited by Mr. Lee
add to content

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

I have the same PLDT service as Lee does which I have had for 4 yrs now which works pretty well ever since they calibrated my dsl speed where it supposed to be, haven't had any problems since then. I also do a lot of torrent movie down loads with my uTorrent downloader with my 1 meg dsl line! I'm not quite sure what my upload and download speeds are since I don't really pay attention to it very much because it just varies depending how many people are seeding! The uTorent downloader has preference settings in case of internet dropping off line, where the uTorrent downloader will resume automatically and shut down your PC when the download completes. I'm satisfied with my internet provider for now and maybe someday I may tweak my dsl speed up a notch for faster downloading of my movie torrents! I'm a patient type of person and it's not a big problem as long my PC and internet works period! Also, I've recently switched over to using Google Chrome as my default browser, it's faster than Firefox and IE 8 and it had some neat features too in accessing my favorite websites fast! "This old dog can still learn new tricks"! Yeah Lee, ditto on the Smart Bro internet plug-in device, I have two! Works well as long the signal is strong! And also my Magic Jack works great at home or where ever there is a strong WiFi signal outdoors when I use my 8" mini laptop!

Edited by Fil/AmArt

URGIRL
Posted
Posted

:( what i mean is i had 10 mbps but now after i put the router i got 100 Megabits per second

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, you're getting speeds of 10 and 100 megabits per sec in the Philippines?

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Dave, Sky Cable Broadband might be an option for you if available where you live, since they show pretty good speeds and the p999 for 1.5 mbps with 512 kbps upload.

post-40-0-97922000-1292527022_thumb.jpg

Jake
Posted
Posted
Philippine ISPs suck compared to most other countries. . . I want to know who else has their upload speeds limited and if they have found a work around.
Hello Dave,I don't personally use peer to peer websites but hopefully this website could assist you in some way.If you have configured your computer for optimum settings and still upload speed is crawling or dead,you may want to complain to you local ISP like what Lee has done. Get a tech out there and perhapshe may find someone stealing your bandwidth.http://forum.videohe...d-speed-so-slowRespectfully -- Jake