Electrical Back Up Generator?

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Thinking of getting a ~5kw generator for the house in Cebu. Would have it safely wired to a transfer switch box and housed in its own secure enclosure. What are you guys doing for backup power? A gas Honda? I need something large enough to run the fridge, water pump a few lights a TV and one aircon?

love2winalot
Posted
Posted

In other words, "be able to power the whole damn house".........................hehehehe.We are going to get one, when i return in a few weeks. Since the brown outs can last up to 10-12 hours sometimes, protecting the food in the fridge is the priority. Wait, i take that back, keeping the beer cold is the priority....................................No power but Cold beer= who cares...................No power an warm beer= This sucks...........................

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
In other words, "be able to power the whole damn house".........................hehehehe.We are going to get one, when i return in a few weeks. Since the brown outs can last up to 10-12 hours sometimes, protecting the food in the fridge is the priority. Wait, i take that back, keeping the beer cold is the priority....................................No power but Cold beer= who cares...................No power an warm beer= This sucks...........................
You sir are a man with his priorities in order. :541: Cool Kano & cold beer!

• 2 months later...
Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

A 5Kw for a whole house? what about a 1.5 or 2Kw, review all your electrical needs. would you have both or all 3 air cons at once (800watts x3 2400) Tv or computer (200w) refrigerator (150-200 w) other lighting (10w X10 lights) 100w ,, I have seen 1 time a propane unit.my concern on a "normal" gas unit, is that during a long term brown out . how would you get additonal gas? 2. safety of keeping gas around the home. With propane you can always get more fuel ,more safe to keep near the home. (can forum users provide feedback on the pros/cons of propane unit):541:

• 10 months later...
Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

Altho its nearly been a year since any NEW posting has been made, and most FM ,not all do live in a city or very near a city,Has any new members ,Thought about a Back up Power Generator for their house or have installed one?could you share your Experiences?

billten
Posted
Posted

I bought one, a 3.6kW that i hooked into the house. I use it in am emergency to pump water from our in-ground tank up into the 1000ltr gravity tank so we have water even if there is a long outage. My experience with it is that it sure doesn't run much, maybe a TV and a few lights but nothing heavy like a ref or aircon.

Curley
Posted
Posted

The biggest problem with running fridges and aircon from a generator is the power needed for start up, even if a motor is rated at say 350W they take a lot more than that to get them started.

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted

I have a 3.2KW. It's sufficiant to run my fridge and computers. Can run my MW or my shower heater as long as it's on setting #1 and not at the same time as the MW. Has a 6 gallon gas tank. I seldom use it but a God send when you do need it. Especially when it's 90+ Deg F and you need the fans and the brownout is 4-12 hours.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I got me a 6 - 6.5 KW gas powered gen set a little while ago. Since I got it there had not been a power outage. I figured that would happen.There's only one problem. The plug socket on the generator does not match any male plug I am able to find in the 2 cities I have looked in (looked in every hardware store they had). The guy who sold me the generator did not want to part with the male plug as its technically not a part of the generator but every store I looked in said they sell the male plug with the gen sets and have none for sale separately. I did find one that looked like what I needed but when I got it home it did not quite fit. Life is not always easy.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
I got me a 6 - 6.5 KW gas powered gen set a little while ago. Since I got it there had not been a power outage. I figured that would happen.There's only one problem. The plug socket on the generator does not match any male plug I am able to find in the 2 cities I have looked in (looked in every hardware store they had). The guy who sold me the generator did not want to part with the male plug as its technically not a part of the generator but every store I looked in said they sell the male plug with the gen sets and have none for sale separately. I did find one that looked like what I needed but when I got it home it did not quite fit. Life is not always easy.
Where was the generator made? travel adapter perhaps will solve the problem?