Filipinas Hissing At You

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I would think you have all been “Hissed” at by now. It seems to be a Filipina thing a way to get your attention. My wife says it’s somewhat complicated to explain and that’s her way of saying “you don’t need to know”. Now I’m curious what the heck is the deal with the hissing thing anyone have a good explanation?:SugarwareZ-034:

oldutot
Posted
Posted
I would think you have all been “Hissed” at by now. It seems to be a Filipina thing a way to get your attention. My wife says it’s somewhat complicated to explain and that’s her way of saying “you don’t need to know”. Now I’m curious what the heck is the deal with the hissing thing anyone have a good explanation?:SugarwareZ-034:
Hey Old55, In South America, a lady would hiss at you to get your attention. It's a way woman initiate contact with you, It was common when I was in Brazil years ago.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Explain, explain anything about Filipino culture, I am not sure that can ever be done by a kano. as-if.gif From what I see, it is more of a psssssst than a hiss, and is often used to get peoples attention by Filipinos and Filipinas alike, such as when you want a waiter or waitress in a restaurant. It has always seemed kind of improper to me to call someone that way, but when in the PHL do as the Philipino does. pssssssssssssssssssst where am I, any-help.gif anyone seen my brain, I seem to misplaced it, and maybe I have left them back in the country I came from before I got to the Philippines. 89.gifsignnvm.gif I often just feel that way when I see things that just do not calculate in my wittle head. SugarwareZ-037.gif
  • Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

So it’s common in Brazil too, interesting perhaps Spanish origin?Lee, I don’t remember a dude ever psssting at me, maybe some of the ones I thought were Filipina were in fact "packing"?:SugarwareZ-034:

Jake
Posted
Posted
Hey Old55, In South America, a lady would hiss at you to get your attention. It's a way woman initiate contact with you, It was common when I was in Brazil years ago.
Dang sailor, boy you do get around don't you. As Lee pointed out, it's really the pssst to get your attention. And when youturn around and say "ano" (what?), then he or she will point with their puckered lips towards something of interest. Andthen you reply with a raised eyebrow meaning either yes or I understand. Here's another one -- responding to a Kano's English instruction with a slightly opened mouth usually means "I don't understand you".And now class -- here's a bonus question: what does it mean when you tap two fingers on your forearm? (hint -- do notshow this body language to any females).Jake
  • Like 3

ekimswish
Posted
Posted

I "tsss" at my wife, especially in other countries since she's the only one to recognize it, just for the fun of it, and for the convenience. At the same time, she's never done it to me and says it's rude. She says it's disrespectful. I say it's funny and keep doing it, partly to fit in, and partly because it works. lol....

• Like 2

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

Lee and Jake are correct that it's pssst and not a hisss! I only use it occasionally, because IMHO it's not really a polite thing to do to people, because it's somewhat degrading a person and it's like calling your pet animal of a sort to get their attention, but normally it's done amongst friends, acquaintances most which are your average Filipinos, because you won't hear it from your educated Filipino types, it's below them! It's not a Kano thing to do either, because the locals fronds upon it, because they'll just think and say to themselves "hey who's this Kano away" trying to look or act cute! Some Filipinos don't mind getting psssted at, but it sometimes too depends on who's doing the psssting! That's just MHO coming from this Fil/Am! What do I know, other Filipinos just may have different explanations or opinions as well! One may have to research the facts or ask an expert in public etiquette, I'm sure someone will with all the controversial comments made here so far!

Edited by Fil/AmArt

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

Well, I looked it up here, my comments seems to be the majority opinion, sort of! http://www.urbandict...e.php?term=Pssthttp://www.travelexp...t-039-66659.htmThere's still a lot of difference of opinions! Haven't found a Filipino etiquette slang expert yet!

Edited by Fil/AmArt

• 3 months later...
Fast&Furious
Posted
Posted
And now class -- here's a bonus question: what does it mean when you tap two fingers on your forearm? (hint -- do notshow this body language to any females).Jake
What?

Jake
Posted
Posted
And now class -- here's a bonus question: what does it mean when you tap two fingers on your forearm? (hint -- do notshow this body language to any females).Jake
What?
Hello Wallaby -- I will PM you later. I can't reveal in open forum since I need to keep it PG rating.....he, he.Have a good one -- Jake