What's Some Of The Craziest Wildlife In The Philippines

Inspector
Posted
Posted

I'm a nature lover...and enjoy the hell out of the NG and Discovery channels...as well as seeing zoo's, and real wildlife, in a safe setting of course. :yes:I loved, LOVED, watching Steve Irwin and his show, as did many Americans...the guy was nuts and so full of love and life, for what he was doing.

:lol:Anyway, I've been to some great countries in the world, and always took in the animals, the more dangerous, the more fascinating. So, in the Philippines....what dangerous, and not so, have others come across?

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Yea, I love nature and those shows as well. Subscribed to the NG magazine for a long time. But by far the most dangerous creature I've encountered is the double-breasted Filipina.

Inspector
Posted
Posted
Yea, I love nature and those shows as well. Subscribed to the NG magazine for a long time. But by far the most dangerous creature I've encountered is the double-breasted Filipina.
:lol:

Jake
Posted
Posted
:lol:
Good one MikeB! May I please have another........?Jake

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I have seen older teen boys selling animals door to door. They have offered me a monkey, a snake, spiders that look gawdawful ugly, exotic birds, a pair of cats that looked like baby cougars. As you can see I am NOT a nature lover and think all those animals belong back in the jungle. What bothers me most is the following video. These folks are catching snakes in exactly the area I am planning to move to in a couple of months. This is not the kind of place I would have considered moving to 3 years ago but, as the song says: Love's got a hold on me,Might want to turn the volume down first.http://il.youtube.com/watch?v=wTg9Cg8tenM

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

There appears to be quite a few venomous snakes in the Philippines that people should steer clear of if at all possible, and this articles says hundreds of snakes in total with most being harmless. The one they caught looked like it had just eaten, so it was probably easier to catch because of that, and I have found most snakes will not bother a person unless cornered or harassed. I have caught many snakes during my life and the main thing before attempting to catch a snake is identification because a catch pole is much safer for venomous snakes. The one thing that always concerned me while in the provinces was getting up during the night to use the outdoor CR, so my advice would be to bring a flashlight so you can watch where you are stepping. So far I have not run into any snakes anywhere in the Philippines and we have spent quite a bit of time in different province areas.Snakes of the PhilippinesMost snakes are shy and tend to avoid contact with humans, they certainly don’t hunt humans and only present a danger if they are cornered or injured in which case they will defend themselves. There are indeed many snakes in the Philippines. Out of a few hundred species, there are 30 poisonous snakes in the archipelago. Most of them stay in rural areas, preying on small mammals such as rats and mice. Usually they prefer moist areas such as rivers, being cold-blooded animals.

• Like 1

Inspector
Posted
Posted
They have a crocodile park out here in Davao City. I've been meaning to stop there soon, and will post up some photographs of the Inspector wrestling one....excuse, running away from one. shocked-1.jpgInspector seeing a cockroach...I have a lot of photographs from places around the world I have been...best photographs were from Costa Rica. Any divers here?...love to see some underwater photographs from here in the Philippines.

Jake
Posted
Posted
They have a crocodile park out here in Davao City. I've been meaning to stop there soon, and will post up some photographs of the Inspector wrestling one....excuse, running away from one. shocked-1.jpgInspector seeing a cockroach...I have a lot of photographs from places around the world I have been...best photographs were from Costa Rica. Any divers here?...love to see some underwater photographs from here in the Philippines.
Hey Inspector, remember that nasty crocodile in front of Pauline's Club in PO City? The sailors and Marines would buy a hand full of baby chicksto feed that guy. A long time ago, I was into underwater photography in Florida but eventually got too expensive. But I'm still a PADI certified muffdiver.....he, he.Jake the Snake

Inspector
Posted
Posted
Hey Inspector, remember that nasty crocodile in front of Pauline's Club in PO City? The sailors and Marines would buy a hand full of baby chicksto feed that guy. A long time ago, I was into underwater photography in Florida but eventually got too expensive. But I'm still a PADI certified muffdiver.....he, he.Jake the Snake
Holy crap...that was a "bit" before my time. PaulinesE.jpg1952!Damn, pinays never change...beautiful! 942703306_9d36e6d61a_z.jpgThe place burned down it says in 1968.....it's next to the Mardi Gras supper club...right, the toasted building. 168594799_e3787ca521_z.jpg?zz=1Back on topic...these things are responsible for more deaths in the Philippines then any other animal. First, the smile.... as a lure due to cuteness, and then they jump on your head staring at you with the large eyes, until you fall into a trance, finally climbing down and eating off your genitals. They are called Tarsiers....sounds cute enough, until you awaken to find your privates gnawed away.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I’ve done quite a bit of SCUBA diving in Leyte and a bit off Mactan. There are a number of very deadly guys underwater you have to take care what you step on. Stone fish and the Textile conch and another whose name I forget will kill in a few minutes not fooling around with those guys. Box jelly fish and Portuguese Man O War are a rare threat but the little venomous Blue Ringed Octopus is safe unless you handle it carelessly then it too is very deadly. I always wore a full suit and quality heavy soled booties.Hands down the most deadly thing found in Philippines are Filipinas. Interesting no one mentioned the “F-U” lizard. Early morning out in the boonies me trying to sleep… F-U, cacadoodle-do, F-U, cacadoodle-do.