Why Would Anyone Want To Live In That God Forsaken Country

Rudderless
Posted
Posted (edited)

If you where thinking about moving to Los Angeles CA and read the LA times to get acquainted with the area, my guess is that you might think the place is filled with only the incredibly wealthy movie stars and murderous, thieving thugs. This is simply not the case. However publishing these stories gets people to buy the news paper. Most love drama, from a train wreck to a UFC fight.Some people just don't have the adventurous spirit. A requirement to got to a far away and unfamiliar land to wing it. It scares most, me too in fact. The difference is, I have that innate inner spirit that loves the adventure of life.So, why an I going?I am as successful as I want to be yet board with the routine of lifeLooking for the AdventureTired of the rat raceWant to take a sabbaticalWill likely never have so few responsibilities as I do right now... No kids, divorced, parents hundreds of miles away, etc, etc.May never have the chance again if I don't do it now.Midlife crisis maybe?Why Cebu?In AsiaTropicalInexpensiveSpeak EnglishGenerally FriendlyCan you suggest an alternative location that meets those requirements??The simple fact that you post on this board means that you have in interest in RP. Maybe you're too scared.... Or maybe you're rich and can afford living with no job in a 1st world country? Which is it?Rudderless

Edited by Rudderless

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

We like living here because of what you pointed out:I am as successful as I want to be yet board with the routine of life (I have an adequate U.S. Government pension)Looking for the Adventure (been there, done that! Now just kicking back and enjoying our retirement)Tired of the rat raceWant to take a sabbatical (we permanently live here now)Will likely never have so few responsibilities as I do right now... No kids, married 22 yrs, my in-laws hundreds of miles away, both my parents in (heaven)May never have the chance again if I don't do it now. (retired early and here we are in the Philippines!)Midlife crisis maybe? Way beyond that now, but I did retire at age 49 and just started collecting my U.S. Social Security!Why Cebu? If you like being close to your own kind, round eyes (other foreigners)! For us, Location, location, location! it's centrally located for convenience all around! Our little humble home in the Philippineshttp://cid-fe19b476f...e%20Philippines Just across the street from our homehttp://www.google.co...iw=1260&bih=664 In AsiaTropicalInexpensive (and getting expensive, but it all depends on one's lifestyle and spending habits)Speak EnglishGenerally Friendly th_thholysheep.gif So, does anyone think we all live in a God forsaken country?

Edited by Fil/AmArt

softail
Posted
Posted
We like living here because of what you pointed out:I am as successful as I want to be yet board with the routine of life (I have an adequate U.S. Government pension)Looking for the Adventure (been there, done that! Now just kicking back and enjoying our retirement)Tired of the rat raceWant to take a sabbatical (we permanently live here now)Will likely never have so few responsibilities as I do right now... No kids, married 22 yrs, my in-laws hundreds of miles away, both my parents in (heaven)May never have the chance again if I don't do it now. (retired early and here we are in the Philippines!)Midlife crisis maybe? Way beyond that now, but I did retire at age 49 and just started collecting my U.S. Social Security!Why Cebu? If you like being close to your own kind, round eyes (other foreigners)! For us, Location, location, location! it's centrally located for convenience all around! Our little humble home in the Philippineshttp://cid-fe19b476f...e%20PhilippinesJust across the street from our homehttp://www.google.co...iw=1260&bih=664In AsiaTropicalInexpensive (and getting expensive, but it all depends on one's lifestyle and spending habits)Speak EnglishGenerally Friendlyth_thholysheep.gif So, does anyone think we all live in a God forsaken country?
You have truly been blessed, living in a exotic foreign land in a beautiful home, not many can make that claim. My wifes family is next door to you in Los Banos.Doug and Sally

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

Thanks Doug and Sally, If we can do it, anyone can! So, come on over! AddEmoticons04230.gif23_11_59[1].gifBut it's not always for everyone!SugarwareZ-034.gif

Edited by Fil/AmArt

Jake
Posted
Posted
Thanks Doug and Sally, If we can do it, anyone can! So, come on over! AddEmoticons04230.gif23_11_59[1].gifBut it's not always for everyone!SugarwareZ-034.gif
I wonder how long it takes for someone to transition of becoming a permanent resident in PI? Do you guys give yourselfa full year or five years to finally decide that this is my home? Of course you have to factor in your GF or wife, which in some cases, the decision is already made for you. And sometimes the wife or soon-to-be wife wants to get the hell out ofdodge ASAP. Would that be an issue going back to your old problems that you left behind to begin with?Decisions, decisions -- certainly can't be made based on just one visit or a one night Love Fest, well maybe.......As I mentioned in my other posts, I believe the so called "American Dream" is not necessarily living in the States anymore.As long as we have a dollar account built up from a pension and/or social security plan, then why not think about otherretirement locations such as Panama, Costa Rica, the Far East or European countries? Sure you may have left behind oldproblems just to be faced with a new set of problems. But personally, when I finally go back to my native land (again), I willhave the opportunity to start a substantial savings account. That is a luxury that I have never had before in all my adult life.So here I come Art and you better have my tennis court ready in your backyard.Jake

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

Well Jake, for us Fil/Ams the transition is much easier than your average foreigner because we fit in right away in this God forsaken country! And yeah, some Filipino women don't have any scruples or luck with certain kinds of men, they just sometimes marry whoever is the first to get to 1st base with them or just marry for money or for a plane ticket to the U.S., the land of milk and honey and the American Dream! Yeah right, unless they end up in the dumps of poverty and on welfare with no way out and then they just skip out on their American husbands for a younger man and greener pastures! But then, there are those who were lucky and found decent Filipinas to live out the rest of their lives in a contented marital bliss! Visiting or retiring to the Philippines isn't for everyone, unless one trys it out first before making any final decisions or making such an unfair remark such as this OP's topic: Why would anyone want to live in that God forsaken country? One could say the same thing about the U.S. and other countries in this global recession, when one is down and out on their luck in finding a paying job and in the process of losing their home, shortly to be homeless and can no longer feed his family! So, who's the God forsaken one here in this case? Yeah Jake, as soon as you start collecting your Social Security pension and in addition to your USN military pension, you will surely be able to live a comfortable lifestyle here in the Philippines with extra money in the bank and in your pocket for splurging! I know that for a fact, because your SS Buddy here was once a "Double Dipper", but am now a "Quadruple Dipper"! Life is grand when things come together for the better! Good things truly comes to those who waits patiently! I'll be waiting patiently too for our group get together in Cebu with the gang! It'll be great! A tennis court may not fit in our backyard, but we'll find one easy enough when you get here, just have the pitchers of Mojo ready!thumbsup.gif mocking.gif

Edited by Fil/AmArt

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
Well Jake, for us Fil/Ams the transition is much easier than your average foreigner because we fit in right away in this God forsaken country! And yeah, some Filipino women don't have any scruples or luck with certain kinds of men, they just sometimes marry whoever is the first to get to 1st base with them or just marry for money or for a plane ticket to the U.S., the land of milk and honey and the American Dream! Yeah right, unless they end up in the dumps of poverty and on welfare with no way out and then they just skip out on their American husbands for a younger man and greener pastures! But then, there are those who were lucky and found decent Filipinas to live out the rest of their lives in a contented marital bliss! Visiting or retiring to the Philippines isn't for everyone, unless one trys it out first before making any final decisions or making such an unfair remark such as this OP's topic: Why would anyone want to live in that God forsaken country? One could say the same thing about the U.S. and other countries in this global recession, when one is down and out on their luck in finding a paying job and in the process of losing their home, shortly to be homeless and can no longer feed his family! So, who's the God forsaken one here in this case? Yeah Jake, as soon as you start collecting your Social Security pension and in addition to your USN military pension, you will surely be able to live a comfortable lifestyle here in the Philippines with extra money in the bank and in your pocket for splurging! I know that for a fact, because your SS Buddy here was once a "Double Dipper", but am now a "Quadruple Dipper"! Life is grand when things come together for the better! Good things truly comes to those who waits patiently! I'll be waiting patiently too for our group get together in Cebu with the gang! It'll be great! A tennis court may not fit in our backyard, but we'll find one easy enough when you get here, just have the pitchers of Mojo ready!thumbsup.gif mocking.gif
Exactly! Keep in mind some people will chose to be unhappy. Please don’t take this personal I am not calling out anyone.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Exactly! Keep in mind some people will chose to be unhappy. Please don’t take this personal I am not calling out anyone.
I have a neighbor and friend who is not, as far as I know, a member here. He is always referring to Cebu and the Philippines and his wife and the local people in a very negative manner, yet he still stays here. I have come to the conclusion that the only way this man is ever happy is when he has something to complain about and a friendly ear to listen. Fortunately I have 2 ears. I let him complain in one ear so he is happy. I let it go out the other ear so I am happy.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
I have a neighbor and friend who is not, as far as I know, a member here. He is always referring to Cebu and the Philippines and his wife and the local people in a very negative manner, yet he still stays here. I have come to the conclusion that the only way this man is ever happy is when he has something to complain about and a friendly ear to listen. Fortunately I have 2 ears. I let him complain in one ear so he is happy. I let it go out the other ear so I am happy.
:AddEmoticons04230: :lol:

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I don’t disagree with Guardian he makes good points and sometimes I too get discouraged and angry reading all the negative things going on over there. It seems during our visits all that fades away and when its time to return home I am sorry to go.