What Else Do I Need ?

chimellie
Posted
Posted

I have been buying stuff for my new house in Cebu and send them in Balikbayan boxes and wondering what I miss, can you guys help me out please ?So far we bought : Towels, can opener, alarm clock, Kitchen knife set, electric knife sharpener, dinner plates, 2 sets of silverware, papper towel, toilet paper, shampoo, soap. Since electronics are expensive so I am looking at a TV Samsung 42' LCD 720P for about $800, the shipper told me it will cost $250 to send it. I already have transformers ( Voltage converter) at my old house for most of the electronics, but I still have to buy a heavy duty transformer for the TV if I buy one here(US). I already have a laptop I bought last year. Thanks in advanceC U in Cbu

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Chi, the prices of electronics are coming down even in the Philippines. Unless you have someone living at the house full time, I would think twice about putting expensive things in there. You could buy a less expensive TV to use until you move there full time and by then, they will be a lot less expensive to buy right in Cebu City, and besides, without the AC running, chances are that they will break down long before you move there. As for what else to ship, look around your home in the US and anything that you have there, you might also want to duplicate, but remember that when you finally retire and move to PI full time, you will have all that stuff to ship then. My advice is to slow down. I made the mistake of buying a 32" flat screen in Ayala, and when we got back only 8 months later, it no longer worked properly, but it was under warranty, so they fixed it for free. Warranty is important to have and if you buy it in the US, the part may be different and you may not be able to get it fixed. If I had it to do over, I would have bought a much less expensive TV and used that when we are there and then bought a better one when we moved there full time. JMHO

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
I have been buying stuff for my new house in Cebu and send them in Balikbayan boxes and wondering what I miss, can you guys help me out please ?So far we bought : Towels, can opener, alarm clock, Kitchen knife set, electric knife sharpener, dinner plates, 2 sets of silverware, papper towel, toilet paper, shampoo, soap. Since electronics are expensive so I am looking at a TV Samsung 42' LCD 720P for about $800, the shipper told me it will cost $250 to send it. I already have transformers ( Voltage converter) at my old house for most of the electronics, but I still have to buy a heavy duty transformer for the TV if I buy one here(US). I already have a laptop I bought last year. Thanks in advanceC U in Cbu
Hi ChiI am really not sure why you would pack toilet paper as every supermarket that I went into had plenty to choose from,same as paper towel,soap and shampoo?

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Yeaaaaa .... what Lee said ..... especially about electronics sitting around and the warranty issue ......

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Oh, I do have one suggestion. We have not been able to find any good pictures to hang on the walls anywhere in Cebu City. You might want to send some nice ones and have them framed at Ayala or some other place.

tom_shor
Posted
Posted

Also keep in mind the glass on the new LCD TV's is much thinner than on the old CRT TV's so even in the manufacturers packing they are much more fragile. You really might do better to get one there.

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Hey Chi ..... I must have been to tired last night and not thinking straight .... never mind what Lee said ..... just send all your electronic gadgets to me ..... I'll make sure they are used and won't be sitting around doing nothing ....... and I will do this at no charge to you ........ I mean what are friends for .....

chimellie
Posted
Posted
Hi ChiI am really not sure why you would pack toilet paper as every supermarket that I went into had plenty to choose from,same as paper towel,soap and shampoo?
My wife said she packs toilet paper and paper towel in between the breakable stuff . As for the soap and the shampoo, I only bring my favorite stuff what I need for my 3 weeks vacation there.Thanks and keep them coming.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Hey Chi ..... I must have been to tired last night and not thinking straight .... never mind what Lee said ..... just send all your electronic gadgets to me ..... I'll make sure they are used and won't be sitting around doing nothing ....... and I will do this at no charge to you ........ I mean what are friends for .....
Mike, my guess is that you would have to move into Chi's new house in order to fit them all in. SugarwareZ-004.gif

chimellie
Posted
Posted
Chi, the prices of electronics are coming down even in the Philippines. Unless you have someone living at the house full time, I would think twice about putting expensive things in there. You could buy a less expensive TV to use until you move there full time and by then, they will be a lot less expensive to buy right in Cebu City, and besides, without the AC running, chances are that they will break down long before you move there.As for what else to ship, look around your home in the US and anything that you have there, you might also want to duplicate, but remember that when you finally retire and move to PI full time, you will have all that stuff to ship then.My advice is to slow down. I made the mistake of buying a 32" flat screen in Ayala, and when we got back only 8 months later, it no longer worked properly, but it was under warranty, so they fixed it for free. Warranty is important to have and if you buy it in the US, the part may be different and you may not be able to get it fixed. If I had it to do over, I would have bought a much less expensive TV and used that when we are there and then bought a better one when we moved there full time. JMHO
My my mother inlaw and sister inlaw will live there, plus we have a family friend, he's about 23 y.o, a big guy for a Pinoy, we have been helping him for a while now, he will be a guard at the house. He said he will sleep outside, just feed him and he will be happy, but I will pay him anyway.I am thinking about sending to a Karate school, maybe some day he can be an instructor and make a living.Anyway, great idea about the TV, we might wait till we get there to buy a TV. Today we went to Sam's and saw a 32'' for $450 and 42'' Sharp LCD 1080P for $750.Thanks