Uncouth

roy2cebu
Posted
Posted

What's the thoughts on the uncouth behaviour you may have witnessed here?For example riding in taxis and the driver is constantly wretching,belching, snorting and spitting through the window...experienced that a lot.Even notice women in the streets spitting randomly....saw one woman spit about 5 times within 10 metres of walking.The males urinating in public without shame up any available wall, regardless of who is in the vicinity.The nose picking in public, even in eating places.And walking near Robinsons a guy in front of me turned his head and spat and it landed on my foot.Not hard to get the impression that there's a lot of pig mentality.

PuppyDog
Posted
Posted

Its the mentality that public places are places that deserve no respect. When in a public place, it is thought that no one owns that space. Therefor any thing is acceptable. That is why trash is thrown all over town, yet a private yard is swept repeatedly to even include a fallen leaf. Hygiene is not taught in schools, and public urination, spitting, and garbage throwing can be the cause of disease, to which most are ignorant.I have heard from a few Filipinos why they throw garbage all over, it is because of the disdain they have for their government. I don't think that is true, as even children throw garbage on the ground.I think it all is because of lack of respect for anything that does not belong to the individual.How many times have you found someone sitting on a motorcycle that is not theirs, and have readjusted the mirrors so that they can view themselves?Bottom line: Lack of respect

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
What's the thoughts on the uncouth behaviour you may have witnessed here?For example riding in taxis and the driver is constantly wretching,belching, snorting and spitting through the window...experienced that a lot.Even notice women in the streets spitting randomly....saw one woman spit about 5 times within 10 metres of walking.The males urinating in public without shame up any available wall, regardless of who is in the vicinity.The nose picking in public, even in eating places.And walking near Robinsons a guy in front of me turned his head and spat and it landed on my foot.Not hard to get the impression that there's a lot of pig mentality.
Many of the issues here can be explained to some degree because people do not have the ability to take off from work when they are sick, so a taxi driver continually spitting out his door, or hacking and burping is because they did not get a chance to sit down to eat their meal, or take time off for the cold, because they had to work. The same goes for the peeing in the street, no public restrooms all over as we are used to, so peeing in the street is common. Also many growing up in the provinces where there is no shame of doing something like that in front of others may also explain why it is commonly practiced. Thinking back in time when I was growing up many moons ago, I seem to remember the kids spitting in the street and the nose picking, so I believe the Philippines being a developing nation, is just in a time warp and has not yet caught up to some of the first world nations, and as education gets better amongst the many, then I think we will see a lot less of what WE do not like to see, yet is often quite common behavior in many developing nations. As for garbage, the same answer, no public trash cans, so if someone were to put out public trash cans all over, then there would be less garbage. All one has to do is look in the malls, no peeing on walls, no trash on floors, no spitting all over, why because there is public restrooms and trash cans all over the malls, and no we cannot say it is because poor people do not frequent malls, because I see them there all the time, often walking around in amazement when recently arriving from a province, yet they do not exhibit those traits when in the malls.

roy2cebu
Posted
Posted

Ok Lee.....you say..(Many of the issues here can be explained to some degree because people do not have the ability to take off from work when they are sick, so a taxi driver continually spitting out his door, or hacking and burping is because they did not get a chance to sit down to eat their meal, or take time off for the cold, because they had to work)but out of the many I've encountered doing this, not one has said, Excuse me, pardon me or anything that promotes customer service or respect....no wonder baboy is the favourite food here...

softail
Posted
Posted

At this point in there culture these things are accepted. Probably in the future as there culture evolves these traits will start to disappear. As an example in the US 35 or 40 yrs ago smoking cigarettes anywhere the smoker wanted to was a given, even hosts on television like Dean Martin would lounge around in his chair cigarette in one hand and a drink in the other. I remember smoking cigarettes on airplanes, if the guy next to you complained you looked at him like he was crazy. It was the mindset of the time, we look back at it and wonder "what were we thinking". Things will change but will take time. I don’t believe I would compare them to "baboy" tho, that is just a little disrespectful. Doug and Sally

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Ok Lee.....you say..(Many of the issues here can be explained to some degree because people do not have the ability to take off from work when they are sick, so a taxi driver continually spitting out his door, or hacking and burping is because they did not get a chance to sit down to eat their meal, or take time off for the cold, because they had to work)but out of the many I've encountered doing this, not one has said, Excuse me, pardon me or anything that promotes customer service or respect....no wonder baboy is the favourite food here...
You will get no argument from me on this, please, thank you and excuse me should be used much more often here, and most of the educated people I have met here use those terms, but at the same time, most of the people here were never given the chance at a quality education due to costs etc, so only with time and better educations will the Philippines catch up to some first world countries, yet in the US, I have found that many of those who visit from some South American countries have no manners at all, and they have education but are often arrogant and do not feel they should live within the rules of the country they visit, so that is far worse, having people in our home countries who do not respect us or our laws. We are the guests in the Philippines, so IMHO we have to be accepting of their ways or we cannot survive here.

roy2cebu
Posted
Posted (edited)
At this point in there culture these things are accepted. Probably in the future as there culture evolves these traits will start to disappear. As an example in the US 35 or 40 yrs ago smoking cigarettes anywhere the smoker wanted to was a given, even hosts on television like Dean Martin would lounge around in his chair cigarette in one hand and a drink in the other. I remember smoking cigarettes on airplanes, if the guy next to you complained you looked at him like he was crazy. It was the mindset of the time, we look back at it and wonder "what were we thinking". Things will change but will take time. I don’t believe I would compare them to "baboy" tho, that is just a little disrespectful. Doug and Sally
Wasn't comparing them to baboy...just my sense of humour...although some do act like pigs as do some westerners. Edited by roy2cebu

Jake
Posted
Posted
Hello Doug,You make a very good point about "developing" societies. I often wonder how other countries, similar to PIbehave themselves out in public. For those of you have travel in other countries in the Far Eastern region orAfrica and Middle Eastern countries, do you see such behavior?Respectfully -- Jake

Art2ro
Posted
Posted
th_thholysheep.gifIt's not just uncouth, but nasty and disgusting! These types of individuals better look over their shoulders before doing such a deed, because they'll never know who gave them a rap on their noggin and put their lights out! Or they may just get a "hey you" from me and some choice words to embarrass them of their uncouthness peeing on any wall or on someone's lawn! It's unlawful in the first place, but the other stuff some people do in public nothing can be done about that, unless there's another SARS scare where a lot of people will be on the look out what other people do in public and will be more objectively vocal about it to whomever is doing the uncouth deed! Mark my words! SugarwareZ-034.gif

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted
Its the mentality that public places are places that deserve no respect. When in a public place, it is thought that no one owns that space. Therefor any thing is acceptable. That is why trash is thrown all over town, yet a private yard is swept repeatedly to even include a fallen leaf. Hygiene is not taught in schools, and public urination, spitting, and garbage throwing can be the cause of disease, to which most are ignorant.I have heard from a few Filipinos why they throw garbage all over, it is because of the disdain they have for their government. I don't think that is true, as even children throw garbage on the ground.I think it all is because of lack of respect for anything that does not belong to the individual.How many times have you found someone sitting on a motorcycle that is not theirs, and have readjusted the mirrors so that they can view themselves?Bottom line: Lack of respect
YES LACK OF RESPECT & caring for themselves and others.when i pick up trash .deposit it in container, these ppl look as i am doing something strange/alien .yes they will clean up their YARD but 1 foot away. NO they will not clean/sweep it,THIS IS ONE OF THE WORSE THINGS I SEE OF THE"locals" or "natives"Perhaps a 2x4 .would help ,:lol: