Living on $800

i am bob
Posted
Posted (edited)
$797 a month in Cebu? Good luck with that! ...
Yeah, that is why I am still here in the Colonies. Texas is OK... but it ain't the PI's! I have 2 girls that want to get a house with me - not all 3 of us together. One is in Carcar, and one in Talisay. I had to tell them both they are crazy. (I said it nicely) I've only met them a couple of times. There would be lots of dating before getting a house together. But I know me... if I move there I will end up married...
I have an Australian friend, in his seventies, living in Talisay City with his girlfriend. He is paying P4000 per month for his 2 bedroom apartment.$797 will work if you are prepared to live as he does.Regards: Jim
Hmmm.... You could always get a girlfriend / wife who is willing to work.... Nah, she would probably figure out the deal and use her bolo... :mocking: Edited by i am bob

Salty Dog
Posted
Posted
We all need that "fall-back" money for emergencies such as hospitalization or even to bail out and go home with our tails between our legs... Myself? I will keep a savings account at home along with a really nice sized line of credit rather than a credit card - that way I won't be tempted to run it up! What I need to live on will be transferred from my pension monthly to the Philippines so I still have a little pension at home in reserve for those months I fall a little short on normal living expenses. And I will be paying the lovely higher rates for medical insurance that covers 80% of everything but the hospital itself. (I know - I'm still trying to figure out what they meant by that phrase!) Either way I am covered! All I have to do now is move!!!
Well the hospital was very reasonable. I had a new private room, nicer than many hotel rooms. Large CR, flat screen TV nice quiet split aircon and extra bed for someone to stay with me. The cost P2,500 a day but they discounted it to P2,000. My 7 days in ICU were only P1,700 a day. Of course like any hospital I think they charge you extra for everything, I think even for each square of toilet paper :mocking:
  • Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted
We all need that "fall-back" money for emergencies such as hospitalization or even to bail out and go home with our tails between our legs... Myself? I will keep a savings account at home along with a really nice sized line of credit rather than a credit card - that way I won't be tempted to run it up! What I need to live on will be transferred from my pension monthly to the Philippines so I still have a little pension at home in reserve for those months I fall a little short on normal living expenses. And I will be paying the lovely higher rates for medical insurance that covers 80% of everything but the hospital itself. (I know - I'm still trying to figure out what they meant by that phrase!) Either way I am covered! All I have to do now is move!!!
Well the hospital was very reasonable. I had a new private room, nicer than many hotel rooms. Large CR, flat screen TV nice quiet split aircon and extra bed for someone to stay with me. The cost P2,500 a day but they discounted it to P2,000. My 7 days in ICU were only P1,700 a day. Of course like any hospital I think they charge you extra for everything, I think even for each square of toilet paper :thumbsup:
Hmmm... better rates than some dive hotels I've stayed in!
  • Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted (edited)
I have an Australian friend, in his seventies, living in Talisay City with his girlfriend. He is paying P4000 per month for his 2 bedroom apartment.$797 will work if you are prepared to live as he does.Regards: Jim
All I need is 1 room, a cr, and a small kitchen. But I am still trying to figure out when I can start drawing money from my State retirement on age alone (not regular retirement of age+years of service=80).I will wait and do it right... but I want it to be right now. :thumbsup: Edited by Tuka Ram

• 2 weeks later...
wingmanPI
Posted
Posted

great info here. I will be moving to PI next year so thanks to all for all the good budget info. cheers!

• 4 weeks later...
Okieboy
Posted
Posted (edited)

here is a cheap little house in Davao City the contract is for a year, they have built hundreds of these and i guess not selling so they are renting new house for Rent - Deca homes EsperanzaTigatto, Davao City, PhilippinesPrice: Php 4,800 only - corner lot2 UNITS AVAILABLE - LOT 34 BLOCK 1 AND BLOCK 2post-1206-0-57196600-1332119855_thumb.jp

Edited by Jollygoodfellow
attached image correctly
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Brucewayne
Posted
Posted

If you move to Compostela in Cebu Province, or anywhere north of there all the way to Danao, you can find basic houses that rent for around $100.00 per month with decent internet, ample water supply and fairly dependable electricity.I know an American with a wife and child who own a small truck, decent computer and have plenty of food on hand.They onle receive $900.00 per month.

• Like 2

piglett
Posted
Posted
If you move to Compostela in Cebu Province, or anywhere north of there all the way to Danao, you can find basic houses that rent for around $100.00 per month with decent internet, ample water supply and fairly dependable electricity.I know an American with a wife and child who own a small truck, decent computer and have plenty of food on hand.They onle receive $900.00 per month.
i would also have to say it really depends on if you OWN or RENTif you moved to the PI with some coin & ended up buying your own place (as in paid for)and you don't wish to live high on the hog you sure can make it on $800however as others have already said HAVE A RAINY DAY FUNDbecause sooner or later it almost always rains. : )good luck allpiglett
  • Like 2

TERENCE
Posted
Posted

Hi all just returned today from phils had great 3 weeks with my wife and family there in answer to your original post if you shop in local markets u can eat well example 3 steaks fresh cost me 200 peso in magalang lecheon manock bbq cost 110 peso for large new supermarket chain just open call pure gold they are very competitive the moral is its there if u look for value it can be foundbest regardsi was creading all expat post thinking it was going to be so expensive when i arrived but to my surprise it was not mybe im in a good area in magalang i dont knowhope this is helpfull terry

• Like 3