Living on $800

piglett
Posted
Posted
I tightened my belt for one full month to see what it would take me to live a decent life .It was 750 dollars 200 for a small apartment200 for food and beer200 entertainment50 visa costs50 gas20 internet30 phone A furnished place and I already had my motorbike . This was for a couple we ate at home around 60% of the time . No fancy dinners or trips to moalboal etc.It was alright we rode the bikes lots exploring local back roads and visiting friends . Could I live like this long term ? Yes I could life is so much better in the RPThe biggest problem I see is boredom with little money you need stuff to do besides drink everyday .
Try it for a year or two and let us all know how it went! A one month trial period doesn't count! Motor bikes you say? Good luck with that too, because MikeB found out the hard way, but we all hope he will recover from his motor bike accident soon!
i ride a motor bike ONLY in the province, the road is mostly dirt & most people still walk .in the city i ride a jeepney or FX piglett

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

I have read over the last several weeks about the inflation rates in the Philippines. However every time we have visited our house over the last 12 years the prices have not changed. P40 for a haircut, P20 for pan de sal P33 for a coke at 7-11, P150 for BBQ Manok (whole chopped chicken with mang tomas suace hmmmmmmmmmm). Is the inflation mainly for utilities and the like? At SM and other major stores? Am i missing something?

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
I have read over the last several weeks about the inflation rates in the Philippines. However every time we have visited our house over the last 12 years the prices have not changed. P40 for a haircut, P20 for pan de sal P33 for a coke at 7-11, P150 for BBQ Manok (whole chopped chicken with mang tomas suace hmmmmmmmmmm). Is the inflation mainly for utilities and the like? At SM and other major stores? Am i missing something?
My wife's friend a Filipina from Cebu just returned after a few years away and was shocked at how much everything had gone up. For her it was so bad that she had to have her husband wire her more money because she ran out 2 weeks into a month vacation. Maybe it is more in the cities and possibly it is more noticeable for those of us who shop in supermarkets, yet every year when my wife and I return after no more than 8 months, costs have gone up on Water, Cable, condo maintenance, supermarket food, Rice, electric, taxis, fuel, restaurant food, used clothing, to name a some, so I guess it depends on where a person lives yet we have found everything has also gone up in the provinces of Mindanao as well as in CDO. I believe things in areas nearer the capital are often lower priced because they do not have to be reshipped to other parts of the Philippines. I even noticed that beer had gone up earlier this year. :9436: Oh and haircuts in the malls in Cebu went up as well.
  • Like 3

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

Fortunate for those who can live on $800 a month in the Philippines, but believe what you read here when other members on this forum say that everything of cost no matter what they are, has risen in the Philippines! Good luck with your $800 a month! Seriously!

MikeB
Posted
Posted
I don,t have to try it for a year or 2 I did just to see and its still a way better life than back west I,m just as poor there .. As for motorbikes its a chance I,m willing to take I have been riding for over 30 years with out a problem ..In fact I think it safer in the rp than in canada because of the slower speeds just don,t drink and ride .. It seems a lot of these accidents are drinking related not saying mikes was because I don,t know
No drugs or alcohol involved. It was 3pm and a dump truck owned by the city came barreling around a blind curve much too fast and swerved into the opposing lane and struck me. Besides the excessive speed, the truck had an expired, invalid registration. According to the police that automatically makes him in the wrong. Bikes are fun and cheap but there is a disregard for life on the roads here so I will abstain. From what I have heard, you are correct about many or most of the expat bike accidents being alcohol-related but talking to the nurses here in Chong Hua, they say that they constantly see terrible bike accidents; amputations, severe facial injuries, paralysis, etc. What really made me decide not to do it was thinking about someone being on the back and the consequences to them.
  • Like 4

joeatmanila
Posted
Posted

driving a bike here is so convinient and so dangerous on the same time. I do not drive them, car and now i aim a suzuki samurai 4x4 for the rainy season and rough roads.

Art2ro
Posted
Posted
Fortunate for those who can live on $800 a month in the Philippines, but believe what you read here when other members on this forum say that everything of cost no matter what they are, has risen in the Philippines! Good luck with your $800 a month! Seriously!
Don't get me wrong with my post above, I have an Uncle in his mid 70s and a dual citizen! Lives in a Barrio near Olongapo City and he is living comfortably on his U.S. Social Security pension of $700 a month. He owns a nice simple home, with a wife and niece with one child living with him. He mostly lives on the local economy only in his area to save on his monthly expenses! So, it's doable on less than $800 a month! Anyone who can live like a local in the province, well do OK!
  • Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted

This may be a slap in the face reality check but with a monthly retirement income of ONLY 500 buckstranslates to over 21 thousand pesos. The luxury of this is the steady monthly income. As a Filipino(if single) and living alone, I would consider myself very fortunate, eating 3 meals a day, having a solidroof over my head and occasional visit to the local beer house. However, budgeting 21 thousand pesos a month becomes more difficult (if not impossible) if I gamble,become a lender or borrower, womanizer, drug addict or an alcoholic with all kinds of medical issues. And the biggest problem would be family members and so called friends and neighbors. That is anotherreality living native style. Jake

• Like 1

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

Here's the reality check for your average semi-skilled Filipino worker/laborer making an average of P500 a day! That's around P13,000 a month not including the other deductions that the Philippine Government takes out if any! So, even if a guy is single, how does one live on P10,000 to P13,000 a month? Maybe side jobs, selling stuff like balut at midnight or whatever on one's day off! I don't really know! Does anyone know how a local can make do on a small income, except for my uncle I mentioned above in my post (but he lives on $700 a month and owns his own home)? I can only imagine, because I don't know any one in that situation personally, except for what I see around bad neighborhoods, hear second hand gossip or read on forums and watch on the local news on TV! For example, once a week my wife and I go grocery shopping and we have to cross a railroad crossing, we notice a lot of poor people living in makeshift houses all along the train tracks! How can anyone live like that with no electricity or running water? I see the same thing along rivers, creeks or channals and under bridges! Sad but true! Desperate situations at desperate times, one just have to make do what's available or die trying! I know this topic is about living on $800 a month, but hey, we're all just the same here, people in general, but just of different circumstances! I just hate to see unfortunate people suffer! That's why I always say, "Life is what we all make it to be"! "Que sera, sera"! "It's always a matter of money"!