Living on $800

piglett
Posted
Posted
Sorry to you all I have just noticed I put the wrong amonut for rent it was P14500, at the Calderon compound just up from Jollybee in Banawa but there are many places which are not so comfortable that are less exspensive, once again appologies for my mistake
so we are all having a debate & then it comes out the the info given was not exactly 100% ...........sit in the naughty chair for 1/2 hour......he he hepiglett

• 4 months later...
joeatmanila
Posted
Posted

living or surviving?You can survive with 800$/month or even less...the conditions are not to be discussed, just to keep you alive.I need 1500-2000$/month living here a family of 3 with two helpers and a rather big house in a medium cost subdivision. But we live GOOD.

• Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

The first 6 months will be the most expensive.I have rented an unfurnished apartment and have had to buy everything apart from a bed and a closet to put my clothes. I did my research online for appliances so I knew roughly what it would cost for the appliances I would need. The things I could not put a figure to were household cleaning things like a mop and dustpan and brush, containers for food etc things which make your life a little easier. Also if you are here for a while you might want to brighten up your apartment we bought a couple of potplants only100p but all these little things add up.We have to buy 1 more cabinet for storage in the kitchen and that should be the end of the bigger purchasing. I have been here 3 weeks and have spent give or take £700 on furnishing our 1 bed apartment. My advice to anyone thinking of moving here would be to look around your home (where you live) and make a list of things you would essentially need to make life comfortable.This will give you an idea of what you may need to buy. Even if you rent a furnished apartment you may have to buy some appliances. As for living on $800 per month I don`t think you could do that until you have settled in to life here and then it is not a lot. Before you move here write a list of the activities you like to do and do some research of costs here, this will help with deciding on what your monthly budget should be. As for what you spend on food/entertainment that is up to the individual.Some people can stay in most nights or eat at cheap restaurants other people like a bit more comfort. Also you need a backup plan to get to your home country if things go wrong. I have a good one if I find myself short of money I am going to live with one of you people haha.CheersKevin

• Like 3

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

I'm happy for you that you have planned out all of your household needs and adjusting well in your surroundings! What's important is that you're happy and always have a back up plan if things turn around! The topic concerning living on $800 is not a realistic amount for most foreigners just starting out here in the Philippines! If worst comes to worst, one can only survive with $800, but it will not be living in a lifestyle one would be happy or comfortable living in unless one is single, young, healthy and used to roughing it somewhere in the provinces like a true boy scout with his trusted Swiss Army knife or has a trusted dog sidekick by his side!

Edited by Art2ro
  • Like 2

canada1
Posted
Posted (edited)

I tightened my belt for one full month to see what it would take me to live a decent life .It was 750 dollars 200 for a small apartment200 for food and beer 200 entertainment50 visa costs50 gas20 internet30 phone A furnished place and I already had my motorbike . This was for a couple we ate at home around 60% of the time . No fancy dinners or trips to moalboal etc.It was alright we rode the bikes lots exploring local bacckroads and visiting friends . Could I live like this long term ? Yes I could life is so much better in the RP The biggest problem I see is boredom with little money you need stuff to do besides drink everyday .

Edited by canada1
  • Like 1

Art2ro
Posted
Posted
I tightened my belt for one full month to see what it would take me to live a decent life .It was 750 dollars 200 for a small apartment200 for food and beer200 entertainment50 visa costs50 gas20 internet30 phone A furnished place and I already had my motorbike . This was for a couple we ate at home around 60% of the time . No fancy dinners or trips to moalboal etc.It was alright we rode the bikes lots exploring local back roads and visiting friends . Could I live like this long term ? Yes I could life is so much better in the RPThe biggest problem I see is boredom with little money you need stuff to do besides drink everyday .
Try it for a year or two and let us all know how it went! A one month trial period doesn't count! Motor bikes you say? Good luck with that too, because MikeB found out the hard way, but we all hope he will recover from his motor bike accident soon!
  • Like 1

canada1
Posted
Posted

I don,t have to try it for a year or 2 I did just to see and its still a way better life than back west I,m just as poor there .. As for motorbikes its a chance I,m willing to take I have been riding for over 30 years with out a problem ..In fact I think it safer in the rp than in canada because of the slower speeds just don,t drink and ride .. It seems a lot of these accidents are drinking related not saying mikes was because I don,t know

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

When riding in the Philippines one has to be extra careful, yet out in the country it might be safer, so please all just be careful because I know of quite a few expats who have been injured riding bikes, and one American Tourist died in Cebu that I know of when he hit a truck head on while on the SRP and trying to pass. Caution is the key, but I know Mike is cautious, so even then it could still happen. We all have to take the chances we feel are necessary for a good life, so to each his own.

• Like 1

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

Norseman, You seem to have it down pat and enjoying yourself here in the Philippines! Good for you! Happiness is all that matters in life!When ever I say this, I always recall Will Smith's movie titled, "The Pursuit of Happiness" a true to life story of an educated, intelligent black man who was jobless and a homeless single father down on his luck, but eventually went from rags to riches! Granted money isn't everything, but it sure makes life a little better!

Edited by Art2ro