Us Navy Back In Subic? So What Do You Think?

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Because of the issues in Japan and Korea maybe the US Navy could be looking once more to Subic Bay. What do you guys think? Frankly I would be uneasy.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

US bases banned? Call them by another nameCLARK FIELD (PLDT/WeRoam) — With key American lawmakers dropping in to have another look at this former United States colony, talk is again rife that the US is interested in setting up military bases here.As to be expected, the US embassy denied the visiting legislative forces were casing the joint already.There is actually no need to establish American bases here all over again. Manila and Washington can have mutually beneficial US military presence in the Philippines without putting up US bases and potentially violating the Constitution.All that has to be done is review and refine by common consent the 13-year-old Phl-US Visiting Forces Agreement, whose constitutionality has been upheld by the Supreme Court, to justify the continued presence of American forces.

gapotwo
Posted
Posted

betchabygollywow!!! I HOPE SO.. :thats-funny: people need jobs. fill my rentals too.:SugarwareZ-034:

Jake
Posted
Posted
betchabygollywow!!! I HOPE SO.. :thats-funny: people need jobs. fill my rentals too.:SugarwareZ-034:
Oooh yeah, I could get my old job back as a 60 year old coin diver! Seriously though, the Philippine Constitution has to be amended to allow foreign military to set up shop again. Today's modern USN and USAF have extended their strategic range and having a pit stop in PI is not necessary anymore. Of course, several politicians would like to have their deeppockets filled by rent money for the bases but I think Uncle Sam is a lot smarter now (hopefully).Respectfully -- Jake

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Seriously though, the Philippine Constitution has to be amended to allow foreign military to set up shop again.
Hey JakeThat was what the article I quoted in post 2 was all about. Do you disagree with the writer? He says they can easily set up shop under the VFA and it has been already been challenged and found acceptable.

RetiredNavyGuy
Posted
Posted (edited)
Of course, several politicians would like to have their deeppockets filled by rent money for the bases but I think Uncle Sam is a lot smarter now (hopefully).Respectfully -- Jake
Its always about the money. But this time around its a win for the RP but would be a loss for the US given their current economy. Lord! I HOPE the US is smart enough to not jump into that briar patch again. Edited by RetiredNavyGuy

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
Of course, several politicians would like to have their deeppockets filled by rent money for the bases but I think Uncle Sam is a lot smarter now (hopefully).Respectfully -- Jake
Its always about the money. But this time around its a win for the RP but would be a loss for the US given their current economy. Lord! I HOPE the US is smart enough to not jump into that briar patch again.
Exactly Jake, anything is possible if you are willing to feed the crocodiles. I don’t think the majority of average Filipinos want US bases again for a variety of reasons. IMO the US should respect that.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

A 50% or better chance the Navy will have an operational base at Subic within five years. :SugarwareZ-034: Was there a naval air base at Subic or did the Navy use Clark?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Was there a naval air base at Subic or did the Navy use Clark?
An aerial view of the Subic Bay U.S. Naval Station the new airfield runway

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
Was there a naval air base at Subic or did the Navy use Clark?
An aerial view of the Subic Bay U.S. Naval Station the new airfield runway
?????:SugarwareZ-034: