Us Navy Back In Subic? So What Do You Think?

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)
Seriously though, the Philippine Constitution has to be amended to allow foreign military to set up shop again.
Hey JakeThat was what the article I quoted in post 2 was all about. Do you disagree with the writer? He says they can easily set up shop under the VFA and it has been already been challenged and found acceptable.
Hello Dave,http://en.wikipedia...._Base_Subic_BayThe above article from Wikipedia (see closure) summarize what happened to both Clark and Subic after Mt Pinatubo blewits top in 1991. Subic Bay Naval Base was only 20 miles from the eruption and suffered significant damage. On the otherhand, USAF at Clark decided to close down because of total destruction and wasn't cost effective to rebuild. In spite of the efforts of then President Corazon Aquino to extend the base agreement for Subic, the "dirty dozen" senators voted into law to terminate the lease. As a result, the VFA was drafted in which the "visiting" forces have certain legal protections from Philippines authoritiesfrom prosecution. In 2005 the Subic Bay rape case is an example of Visiting Force Agreement being argued by both US and PI. The key word is "visiting" -- the US or any other foreign military cannot establish permanent bases unless the PIconstitution is amended again.I personally would love to see Subic Bay Naval Base under the American flag again. It would be an instant economic boomfor the local and national treasury. But I'm not going to hold my breath........Respectfully -- Jake Edited by Jake
Korrect my Englesh

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)
Was there a naval air base at Subic or did the Navy use Clark?
An aerial view of the Subic Bay U.S. Naval Station the new airfield runway
????? :SugarwareZ-034:
The aerial view that Dave provided was the Naval Air Station Cubi Point, which was a tenant command of Subic Bay Naval Station. Since the US Navy was kicked out, the runway has been extended to allow commercial jumbos jets direct flights so that business tycoons could establish light to medium industries at the Naval Base. Even Fedex set up their Asian hub there but later moved to China for greener pastures. Now I'm hearing that the base infrastructure and businesses are falling into disarray due to corruption. As a comparison, the economic zone of Clark seems to be striving with a domestic and international airport and more foreign investment setting up shop there. In light of recent devastation in Japan, perhaps the the US military is looking elsewhere to maintain its presence in the region. If the bubble burst across the DMZ of Korea, the US bases in Japan will be targeted because they are easily within range of NK surface to surface missiles. Could this motivate the Philippine government to reconsider its options? Respectfully -- Jake Edited by JAKE

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
Was there a naval air base at Subic or did the Navy use Clark?
An aerial view of the Subic Bay U.S. Naval Station the new airfield runway
?????:th_thholysheep:
The aerial view that Dave provided was the Naval Air Station Cubi Point, which was a tenant command of Subic Bay Naval Station.Since the US Navy was kicked out, the runway has been extended to allow commercial jumbos jets direct flights so that business tycoons could establish light to medium industries at the Naval Base. Even Fedex set up their Asian hub there but later moved to China for greener pastures.Now I'm hearing that the base infrastructure and businesses are falling into disarray due to corruption. As a comparison, the economic zone of Clark seems to be striving with a domestic and international airport and more foreign investment setting up shop there. In light of recent devastation in Japan, perhaps the the US military is looking elsewhere to maintain its presence in the region.If the bubble burst across the DMZ of Korea, the US bases in Japan will be targeted because they are easily within range of NKsurface to surface missiles. Could this motivate the Philippine government to reconsider its options?Respectfully -- Jake
Thanks Jake,The picture was from the early 1950's figured Dave was pulling my chain.:th_thsmilies-29057:It will be interesting to see what goes down. It looks like Japan wants us out.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
figured Dave was pulling my chain.
Not my intent. You asked if there used to be a naval air base at Subic and I remembered seeing an old pic of one so I searched it up and posted it here. Jake's explanation sounds like he knows what is going on and I have no knowledge apart from remembering that pic, I just figured Life magazine usually does not print BS so there must have been a naval air base at Subic.

gapotwo
Posted
Posted

It was known as USNAS.CUBI POINT. United states naval air station, cubi point in subic bay.Home of the VRC50. naval air squadron.and home to the fighting phantoms. F4. TANKS EJ :as-if:

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

IMHO, closing down Clark AB and Subic was the worst action of Filipino Pride a Philippine President, naming Joseph Estrada ever did to this country, but I don't think the U.S. will return since the U.S. is financially broke at this time! Anyway, the U.S. still has Guam, Diego Garcia, Wake Island and Hawaii in the Pacific, but I'm sure the other bases in Okinawa and Japan will probably shutdown in the near future, depending what happens in the rest of the world, especially in the Middle East, Korea and China! America just can't be the peace keepers of the world forever, because it's now putting a big drain on the U.S. economy and it just might take a few life times to payoff the national debt! A weak U.S. economy puts us all in jeopardy to survive economically and defend our home country from terrorists! As I have always used as one of my mottoes, "It's Always A Matter Of Money"! Without it, we're all SOL! We all need a stronger and smarter Government to do the right things soon and if not we will all be in deep sh&t! Most of us retirees living in Philippines are mostly are on fixed incomes from pensions from our home country and we are all at the mercy as to what our perspective governments are doing in this global recession we are in and all we can do is to vote in our national elections hoping to make a difference in the near future in our home country, but for a lot of us old timers 62 and over, we'll probably never see the improved changes we long for in our lifetime and I'm sure most of you old timers know what those changes are without me making up a list of wants, because they have all been expressed on this forum and other forums off and on! Well, this it for now, since I'm straying off the topic! SugarwareZ-034.gif

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
IMHO, closing down Clark AB and Subic was the worst action of Filipino Pride a Philippine President, naming Joseph Estrada ever did to this country, but I don't think the U.S. will return since the U.S. is financially broke at this time! Anyway, the U.S. still has Guam, Diego Garcia, Wake Island and Hawaii in the Pacific, but I'm sure the other bases in Okinawa and Japan will probably shutdown in the near future, depending what happens in the rest of the world, especially in the Middle East, Korea and China! America just can't be the peace keepers of the world forever, because it's now putting a big drain on the U.S. economy and it just might take a few life times to payoff the national debt! A weak U.S. economy puts us all in jeopardy to survive economically and defend our home country from terrorists! As I have always used as one of my mottoes, "It's Always A Matter Of Money"! Without it, we're all SOL! We all need a stronger and smarter Government to do the right things soon and if not we will all be in deep sh&t! Most of us retirees living in Philippines are mostly are on fixed incomes from pensions from our home country and we are all at the mercy as to what our perspective governments are doing in this global recession we are in and all we can do is to vote in our national elections hoping to make a difference in the near future in our home country, but for a lot of us old timers 62 and over, we'll probably never see the improved changes we long for in our lifetime and I'm sure most of you old timers know what those changes are without me making up a list of wants, because they have all been expressed on this forum and other forums off and on! Well, this it for now, since I'm straying off the topic! SugarwareZ-034.gif
Strategically or logistically none of those locations would or could replace Okinawa. In face of the new threat to the US Subic is better situated than Oki.I totally agree with you about the money Art and you are SPOT ON about the US in desperate need of high quality statesmen. We have been so blessed in the past difficult times having had truly great leaders but whom now? IMO you are on target on topic.

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)
A 50% or better chance the Navy will have an operational base at Subic within five years. :yes:
If history repeats itself regarding conflicts in the Asian region (man made or natural disasters), I believe the US military will probably have no choice but to move to a safer harbor or airstrip. Depending where the next hot spot might be (I'm betting on North Korea), the US military might have to move further south away from midrange NK missiles. Even Guam and Okinawa are on the current target list. Fortunately, Manila is about 1800 miles/2800 kilometers distance and currently beyond NK missile envelope. Besides if the balloon goes up across the DMZ, the Philippines is obligated to assist the US military under the Mutual Defense Treaty. Whether that means Subic Bay Naval Base will be the future home of 7th Fleet (now based in Yokosuka, Japan) may force the Philippine government to concede its national pride once again. This is a serious -- if the balloon pops, the whole Asian region including Australia will come to an economic meltdown. Oh yeah, don't forget about California and the rest of the world. Perhaps that is why the US military (the nearest aircraft carrier) responds first whenever some one calls 911 to prevent a second missile launch. Respectfully -- Jake Edited by JAKE

Braddo
Posted
Posted

Well put Jake you are right on target IMO:th_exactly:

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

Kind of makes me wonder with all the high tech spy gadgets and arsenal at the U.S.'s possession, they could just seek and destroy their objectives with smart bombs or missiles! The U.S. have spy satellites and submarines under the sea with nasty warheads to take out anyone they choose and no one would be detected! I know, it's not playing fair, but it gets results in getting rid of the bad people in this world, quick and easy without a lot of lost of life and it's cheaper too in the long run, since mass deployment of our troops won't be needed! Just use our troops, arsenal and satellites to protect our country's borders and airspace! So, who needs to maintain military bases everywhere? Their just setting ducks for terrorists! Am I a crazy war monger? mocking.gif I don't think so! Just being practical using my common sense! JMHO and POV! th_thholysheep.gif

Edited by Art2ro