Ssdi Checks

Todd
Posted
Posted

Will SSDI still send thier direct deposit to me if i get a bank account in the Philippines?or do i have to keep my bank account open that i have now in the USA when i move?i tried to find this on the SSA website but i cant find anything.

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

If your SSDI check is directly deposited to your U.S. Checking account and you have a dollar account in the Philippines, just write yourself a U.S. check from your U.S. checking account and deposit it into your Philippine dollar account, but there's a 25 day waiting period before the check clears and posted to your Philippine dollar account which has ATM and internet access.If you desire to have your SSDI pension directly deposited to your dollar account in the Philippines, you can do so, but there's a stipulation with most Philippine banks concerning direct deposits! I believe there is a $3 to $5 service monthly fee charged for direct deposits to an overseas account. You can only avail a passbook type account that has no ATM or internet access and it's only exclusive to the bank you have an account with, which means you can only get your money from that one particular bank associated with your passbook, but all of your other peso accounts have ATM cards accessible at any bank or ATM and you have internet access. So, it's your choice which way you want to manage your banking needs.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted (edited)
Will SSDI still send thier direct deposit to me if i get a bank account in the Philippines?or do i have to keep my bank account open that i have now in the USA when i move?i tried to find this on the SSA website but i cant find anything.
As Art said, yes it can be done but probably not a good idea to do, well at least until you know you are here for good. I once asked many years ago and they said it could be done but was not reversible, so if you decide to do that, then make sure you can cancel it down the road in case things here do not work out for you, or you need to exit for some other reason. Remember this is still a developing nation, so things here change all the time. The good thing about having a US account with an ATM, is for when, and if you travel to other countries, because your ATM would be accepted at more places. Now the disadvantage is that your Co-branded US ATM card will usually have expiration dates on it, just like a credit card does, so if you can get one that is on the major systems but that has no expirations date on it, then that might make it easier on you during times when it does expire, unless you have a mailing address in the states and someone there who can Fedex the new one to you, along with your other mail. Next comes the other issue, there is SSD which you can collect out of the country and then there is another which you cannot, so if you are on regular disability, then you should have no problem, but if you are on the other where you did not have enough credits to qualify for it but got it anyway, they will take it away if you leave the US. Also remember that they have the right to review you at any time, so being out of the country and them knowing it might trigger that, it did for someone I know. Next, please note that some US banks will not allow you to have a US account when you do not live in the US, so make sure the bank you decide to keep your money in will allow it, if you decide the US is the way to go, or having a local address (friend, family or USA Box company) would solve that problem. Also having a US phone number registered with them that will work from the Philippines will also help, so maybe think about getting yourself a VOIP system such as Magic Jack and register the phone number with your credit cards and banks in the US, or you may find they will end up cancelled if they can no longer reach you. Have more than one way to get cash in case your ATM no longer works, so multiple banks and cards is the safest way. Last, be aware that you must declare to the US yearly any foreign bank accounts that you have more than US $10,000 in during anytime during a calendar year, that is if you are a US citizen, which I would guess you would have to be to collect disability, but I am not positive nowadays. Check out this law firm on rules for SSD or SSI, I am not sure what SSDI is? Edited by Kuya Lee
change

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

1st. keep your US bank account .make sure you have OnLine access dont have only 1 account , have additional account w/ATM card. in case 1 is lost. "ate" by the ATM or expires 2,keep a valid US mailing address , so if someone/some firm needs to contact you they can3. sure use "MAGIC JACK" or something like that. inquire on a "CALLBACK SERVICE" my service offers me a 800 number for my bank.etc etc to contact me4, IF your on MEDICARE. guess what it doesnt work in the RP :hystery: . so you will need to get other insurance. Oh the medications you take in the US most are available BUT SOME are much higher in cost. so you may need to have someone to send via FEDEX those meds.there are other things i could post , perhaps in another posting. :th_thanx:

help007
Posted
Posted

hello i also have a question,im just now finding out,about you were suppose to report living outside of usa on a ssdi to the social security,here is my story,my name is mike im 25 i live in the philippines for over a year now,im doing visa extention over and over,but when i return my sister who is always on ssdi,is telling me of a review and stuff,so im researching things on ssdi,then i see it for the first time,you cant be outside the usa for more then 30 days without reporting it,im already been gone for over a year,and im just now visiting in the usa,i think i will have a review or interview in like 2 years im not sure that is my guess due to what my sisters interview time was,but what should i do?come clean and tell them i didnt know?and lose my check,should i find a way for my family to send me my money so they cant tract it to the philippines?i dont wont be in trouble be im in love and its like in one day my world is turn upside down,idk what to do,so my plan is this on my interview if they ask about that one year i was gone im admit it,and say i did not know,but maybe if i dont use my debit card over seas,maybe western union only maybe i can have family do some useage on my card in usa?and maybe they think im thier,plz someone tell me what i should do,i dont wont ne trouble,i just want know what yall think is it too be of a risk?or should i just tell my girl today that i might only see her once a year or maybe 2 years from now after my appointment i mean im gone 1 year right but if im gone 2 more years my god idk what kind of trouble i be in if im catched,all i can do is play dumb,or do u think if i just told the soical security office they will let me keep my check over seas since im not married and im prove im not good at work or keeping or having jobs this is relly my only chance at a normal life is with ssdi uno i hope yall understand srry it long ty goodbye plz reply

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
hello i also have a question,im just now finding out,about you were suppose to report living outside of usa on a ssdi to the social security,here is my story,my name is mike im 25 i live in the philippines for over a year now,im doing visa extention over and over,but when i return my sister who is always on ssdi,is telling me of a review and stuff,so im researching things on ssdi,then i see it for the first time,you cant be outside the usa for more then 30 days without reporting it,im already been gone for over a year,and im just now visiting in the usa,i think i will have a review or interview in like 2 years im not sure that is my guess due to what my sisters interview time was,but what should i do?come clean and tell them i didnt know?and lose my check,should i find a way for my family to send me my money so they cant tract it to the philippines?i dont wont be in trouble be im in love and its like in one day my world is turn upside down,idk what to do,so my plan is this on my interview if they ask about that one year i was gone im admit it,and say i did not know,but maybe if i dont use my debit card over seas,maybe western union only maybe i can have family do some useage on my card in usa?and maybe they think im thier,plz someone tell me what i should do,i dont wont ne trouble,i just want know what yall think is it too be of a risk?or should i just tell my girl today that i might only see her once a year or maybe 2 years from now after my appointment i mean im gone 1 year right but if im gone 2 more years my god idk what kind of trouble i be in if im catched,all i can do is play dumb,or do u think if i just told the soical security office they will let me keep my check over seas since im not married and im prove im not good at work or keeping or having jobs this is relly my only chance at a normal life is with ssdi uno i hope yall understand srry it long ty goodbye plz reply
First of all welcome to the forum. Next all we can tell you is the law and it is up to you, as what you do once you know. I am sorry to say this, but the law in the US reads that ignorance of the law is no excuse, so it sounds like you got yourself into a bit of a pickle and you probably need a lawyers advice. I am also sorry but we cannot tell you to break the law, that would be wrong of us to do. My opinion is that once they know, then they will take away what you are getting, and also make you pay back what you already got during that period, and if they find out on their own, then it could mean criminal charges for you, but that is just my opinion. I wish you the best of luck in your situation.

help007
Posted
Posted
First of all welcome to the forum. Next all we can tell you is the law and it is up to you, as what you do once you know. I am sorry to say this, but the law in the US reads that ignorance of the law is no excuse, so it sounds like you got yourself into a bit of a pickle and you probably need a lawyers advice. I am also sorry but we cannot tell you to break the law, that would be wrong of us to do. My opinion is that once they know, then they will take away what you are getting, and also make you pay back what you already got during that period, and if they find out on their own, then it could mean criminal charges for you, but that is just my opinion. I wish you the best of luck in your situation.
yes ty for your answer so i could just call soon and tell them i didnt know,and im willing to pay back all the money i was given?i used to be a diff person uno i was having alot of problems not getting well with people and i was anit social relly bad to the point to were i could not leave my room bc im worry of fight or something bad happen,i was doing so bad b4 everone used to try to get me out of my slump but it seem things were just hard for me,i was not like human or was i even like normal back then, so i stay my self for years,then i meet my gf last year,she is the best ever happen to me,i go ever were with her,i go store and any place we need to go i go,she relly change me as a person to the point to were im just thinking maybe i could just cut my check,i guess love is powerful,it was the thing that i live for now,im happy for the first time in years i just want to marry this girl and have kids hole nine yards but the check is just im now finding out about alot of it,keep in mind i live with my mom for my hole life,i was a freaking kid/adult i was relly bad b4,so if social security find out im in trouble and like u said will owe alot of money,should i just call and try to get it cut,tell them i would like to live outside the country but i cant due to my check or just not even say any thing of a diff country?should i ask if i can receive thier but i know the past will come up and i dont wont get in trouble for that,so should i just try to cut it or tell them the truth?

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
yes ty for your answer so i could just call soon and tell them i didnt know,and im willing to pay back all the money i was given?i used to be a diff person uno i was having alot of problems not getting well with people and i was anit social relly bad to the point to were i could not leave my room bc im worry of fight or something bad happen,i was doing so bad b4 everone used to try to get me out of my slump but it seem things were just hard for me,i was not like human or was i even like normal back then, so i stay my self for years,then i meet my gf last year,she is the best ever happen to me,i go ever were with her,i go store and any place we need to go i go,she relly change me as a person to the point to were im just thinking maybe i could just cut my check,i guess love is powerful,it was the thing that i live for now,im happy for the first time in years i just want to marry this girl and have kids hole nine yards but the check is just im now finding out about alot of it,keep in mind i live with my mom for my hole life,i was a freaking kid/adult i was relly bad b4,so if social security find out im in trouble and like u said will owe alot of money,should i just call and try to get it cut,tell them i would like to live outside the country but i cant due to my check or just not even say any thing of a diff country?should i ask if i can receive thier but i know the past will come up and i dont wont get in trouble for that,so should i just try to cut it or tell them the truth?
As I wrote before, best to ask those questions of a lawyer. It seems you may not be from a poor family, as you seem to be able to afford to live without the ssdi and even repay it, so if you have other means of support and can manage to live your life with your lady in the Philippines without those checks, then maybe at least you can have a happy life that way without having to always look over your shoulder, or if you can get family to sign the documents of support to cover the money needed to bring your lady back to the states and live with her there, then maybe that might be the answer. I really do not know your financial situation, so only you can make those decisions, but I do wish you the best of luck, and a good woman and love can mean the whole difference in life, so I am glad you seem to have found love in your lady and a new lease on life because of it, so I hope it all works out for you.

help007
Posted
Posted
As I wrote before, best to ask those questions of a lawyer. It seems you may not be from a poor family, as you seem to be able to afford to live without the ssdi and even repay it, so if you have other means of support and can manage to live your life with your lady in the Philippines without those checks, then maybe at least you can have a happy life that way without having to always look over your shoulder, or if you can get family to sign the documents of support to cover the money needed to bring your lady back to the states and live with her there, then maybe that might be the answer. I really do not know your financial situation, so only you can make those decisions, but I do wish you the best of luck, and a good woman and love can mean the whole difference in life, so I am glad you seem to have found love in your lady and a new lease on life because of it, so I hope it all works out for you.
yes ty i have bless family help me my mom help me on ssdi bc she wanted me have a future,she was afriad i be inside forever,and your right im just cut it,my girl makes me want to work and try in life now,i dont wont look over my shoulder for ever stressing of going to jail bc im lie,i mean im willing to pay it back bc im not wont trouble uno,i have something now to not get in trouble any more,ty for ur help it means alot,im glad i come here today,im feel better i know i will be with her again and all will be ok,heck i even got a job helping on the farm if im go back it is start somewere im help feed family thier n enuff money for extention maybe my family can help on get her here,im do all i can n contact lawyer too,im fight for my life n happyness the old me wouldd be ok with ssdi,but the new me just wants to be free and live my life happy

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
yes ty i have bless family help me my mom help me on ssdi bc she wanted me have a future,she was afriad i be inside forever,and your right im just cut it,my girl makes me want to work and try in life now,i dont wont look over my shoulder for ever stressing of going to jail bc im lie,i mean im willing to pay it back bc im not wont trouble uno,i have something now to not get in trouble any more,ty for ur help it means alot,im glad i come here today,im feel better i know i will be with her again and all will be ok,heck i even got a job helping on the farm if im go back it is start somewere im help feed family thier n enuff money for extention maybe my family can help on get her here,im do all i can n contact lawyer too,im fight for my life n happyness the old me wouldd be ok with ssdi,but the new me just wants to be free and live my life happy
Good for you. :541: Yes a new life, and with the love of a good woman will be much better for you and much healthier as well. Hard work IMO also makes us a better person, so I have been all for that my whole life. Again good luck with it all, and please check back and keep us up to date, also feel free to help our members with the knowledge you have gained by living in the Philippines for that year. Stick around, your knowledge might help others with their problems and needs for help too. :541: