Ssdi Checks

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)
http://www.harp.org/fed-primer.htmhttp://www.harp.org/fed-primer.htmhttp://www.socialsec...ailed-me-abroadCan Social Security Disability Payments Be Mailed To Me Abroad?

Whether or not a claimant’s benefits payments can be mailed to them abroad depends entirely on the country in which they are residing, and how long they plan to remain there.For those receiving Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits, the Social Security Administration (SSA) will stop sending benefits if a claimant remains outside of the country for more than 30 days, and benefits will not restart until the recipient has spent a total of 30 days back in the United States. This rule does not apply, however, to dependent children of military personnel or students who are studying overseas.For those receiving Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI), benefits will continue to be paid and can be delivered to most foreign countries. There are some limitations, however, as benefit checks cannot be mailed to some countries that were part of the former Soviet Union, or a number of other countries including Cambodia and Vietnam. In such cases where direct mailing is impossible, an application for exception can be submitted, and upon approval the beneficiary would be able to pick up his or her monthly benefit check in person at the United States embassy in the country of residence.Social Security Disability benefit checks cannot be delivered to claimants living in North Korea or Cuba because the Treasury Department is forbidden from sending money to either country. That does not necessarily mean, however, that the benefits will stop while a beneficiary is residing in one of these nations. If the time in these countries is less than thirty days, for instance, benefits will continue uninterrupted during the time that the recipient is outside of the country. In cases where beneficiaries are going to be in either country for over 30 days, benefits will accrue and will be available for delivery and deposit as soon as the claimant goes to a country where it is possible to receive mailed benefits checks.In almost all cases, direct deposit is the fastest and most convenient way to receive Social Security Disability benefits, and this option is available for claimants residing in many countries.The best way to get information on whether or not you can receive your Social Security Disability benefits while abroad is to contact yourlocal Social Security office about the specific country in question.

Edited by Art2ro

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

It looked like to me that help007 has his SSDI story confused with the SSI criteria which are two different benefits, because he mentioned in his original post, "you can't be outside the usa for more then 30 days without reporting it", which falls under the SSI ruling, but he says that he has SSDI", so I posted what the difference are between the two, which only he can answer which one he has at the present, but he said SSDI and not SSI!

Edited by Art2ro

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
It looked like to me that help007 has his SSDI story confused with the SSi criteria, because he mention this in his post, "you can't be outside the usa for more then 30 days without reporting it, which falls under the SSI ruling, but he says that he has SSDI", so I posted what the difference are between the two, which only he can answer which he has at the present!
He said in THIS POST above "im not married and im prove im not good at work or keeping or having jobs""my name is mike im 25" So if he has not worked the quarters needed for regular SSD, then he has to be on SSI from what I read in his posts, and besides, I believe he was replying to the info at the bottom of my other post HERE, where I wrote "Check out this law firm on rules for SSD or SSI, I am not sure what SSDI is?" Hopefully he read that post correctly and did not get the wrong info from it, but possibly you are correct and he and I are wrong at which he is on, so I hope he now reads the definitions you provided and makes sure the info he has taken from it to be is correct, or not correct.

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)
It looked like to me that help007 has his SSDI story confused with the SSi criteria, because he mention this in his post, "you can't be outside the usa for more then 30 days without reporting it, which falls under the SSI ruling, but he says that he has SSDI", so I posted what the difference are between the two, which only he can answer which he has at the present!
He said in THIS POST above "im not married and im prove im not good at work or keeping or having jobs""my name is mike im 25" So if he has not worked the quarters needed for regular SSD, then he has to be on SSI from what I read in his posts, and besides, I believe he was replying to the info at the bottom of my other post HERE, where I wrote "Check out this law firm on rules for SSD or SSI, I am not sure what SSDI is?" Hopefully he read that post correctly and did not get the wrong info from it, but possibly you are correct and he and I are wrong at which he is on, so I hope he now reads the definitions you provided and makes sure the info he has taken from it to be is correct, or not correct.
I don't really know, because it says "disabilities since birth", he hasn't mentioned, but falls under SSDI. I hope he can sort it all out without any problems! He sounds like an honest person! Good luck to him! Edited by Art2ro

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
He said he is on SSDI which Art posted a link too, http://www.socialsecurity-disability.org/content/about-ssdiThe info is there.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Many people confuse the terms and intermix them. Only he knows which one he is actually on, but if he has hardly worked, and is only 25 years old, then he would not qualify for regular SSD or obviously also called SSDI, which I was not aware of since I never researched it before. HERE is the actual Social Security web site and below it what it says. I stand corrected on the term SSDI which in my time was only known as Social Security Disability. The Social Security and Supplemental Security Income disability programs are the largest of several Federal programs that provide assistance to people with disabilities. While these two programs are different in many ways, both are administered by the Social Security Administration and only individuals who have a disability and meet medical criteria may qualify for benefits under either program.

pays benefits to you and certain members of your family if you are "insured,"
meaning that you worked long enough and paid Social Security taxes.
Supplemental Security Income
pays benefits based on financial need.
I was not the one who said he was no longer entitled, or had to report being out of the country, he was the one who said it in his posts. I advised he contact a lawyer with his questions, twice.

hello i also have a question,im just now finding out,about you were suppose to report living outside of usa on a ssdi to the social security,
then i see it for the first time,you cant be outside the usa for more then 30 days without reporting it,

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

th_thholysheep.gifI hope Todd aka help007 will reply to all our posts! I'm totally confused now! The suspense is killing me of the drama scenarios we all came up with! mocking.gif

Edited by Art2ro

Art2ro
Posted
Posted
Many people confuse the terms and intermix them. Only he knows which one he is actually on, but if he has hardly worked, and is only 25 years old, then he would not qualify for regular SSD or obviously also called SSDI, which I was not aware of since I never researched it before. HERE is the actual Social Security web site and below it what it says. I stand corrected on the term SSDI which in my time was only known as Social Security Disability. The Social Security and Supplemental Security Income disability programs are the largest of several Federal programs that provide assistance to people with disabilities. While these two programs are different in many ways, both are administered by the Social Security Administration and only individuals who have a disability and meet medical criteria may qualify for benefits under eithrprogram.

pays benefits to you and certain members of your family if you are "insured,"
meaning that you worked long enough and paid Social Security taxes.
Supplemental Security Income
pays benefits based on financial need.
I was not the one who said he was no longer entitled, or had to report being out of the country, he was the one who said it in his posts. I advised he contact a lawyer with his questions, twice.

hello i also have a question,im just now finding out,about you were suppose to report living outside of usa on a ssdi to the social security,
then i see it for the first time,you cant be outside the usa for more then 30 days without reporting it,

Yes Lee, I do think Todd has intermixed the difference between his SSDI with the SSI rules, because SSI is the only Social Security benefit that is stopped if one is out of the U.S. more than 30 days, but Todd has stated that he has SSDI and so the 30 day restriction out of the U.S. does not apply! So if that's the case and he truly has SSDI, he has nothing to report or to worry about! Let's wait and see what Todd has to say!

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

THANKS :AddEmoticons04230: ART2ro :AddEmoticons04230:the info you presented is very helpful. this should help the others out here to understand the "SSI" & "SSDI" rules.

Mr. Rogers
Posted
Posted

Todd,I am on Social Security Disability Insurance or S.S.D.I. also, I stay here in the Philippines and travel back to Oklahoma City, OK to maintain my things there, and make my once a year trip out of the Philippines to remain legal here in the R.P.You will have the option of receiving a check or enrolling in a direct deposit account with U.S. Direct Express they will issue you a MasterCard that will work in ATM's around the world. That is how I access my funds while here in the Philippines. I would suggest calling them and notify them that you plan on leaving the U.S. for the Philippines so they can note that in your account, and not shut it down the first time you use it out of the U.S. thinking debit card fraud or theft. Once you apply for the account you should receive your card in less than a month, your S.S. will be automatically deposited in your account based on when you filed your claim. Also I keep my Bank of Oklahoma accounts open and active, with cards as back up, also I have a PayPal account with debit card. Multiple cards and accounts with some cash in each, always be prepared.Just my angle, Hope it helps,Mark