Lets Compare Prices Of Items In Different Countries

Inspector
Posted
Posted
Brutal here in the Philippines? The summer heat, snow, flooding, road rage and tornadoes in the U.S. isn't brutal? SugarwareZ-037.gifOPS! Off topic! Sorry!
Yeah, I forgot how many filipinos are not trying to LEAVE the Philippines to head west.... :lol:Florida > ANYWHERE in the Philippines :yes:Philippines > ANYWHERE in New Jersey :whistling:

Inspector
Posted
Posted
th_thholysheep.gif Tony the Tiger says, "Kind of weird and unusual to mix or compare a prostitute with a box of plain corn flakes"! e3358.gifwhistling.gifSugarwareZ-037.gif
That's why I only get the frosted ones.
:whistling:

• 4 weeks later...
Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

My wife and I stopped by Walmart to pick up the slowNiacin I take daily because they have it for under $13 for a bottle of 100/500Mg, so I will have to check and see if those can even be bought in the Philippines, but while we were there we saw a Black and Decker Toaster Oven on sale for under $20, and the one we bought in Cebu was at least twice that, so since those electronics all seem to come from China, which is much closer to the Philippines than the US, why is it that most electronics cost so much more in the Philippines? Lower labor costs, lower shipping costs because it is much closer to the Philippines than the US, lower rents, so overall lower overhead, yet most items costs more in the Philippines, so I think the govt of the Philippines is shooting itself in the legs by not becoming the shopping Mecca of Asia by having lower prices. :mocking: Of course prices in the Philippines may be lower for some from some countries but many items are more expensive for those of us from the US.

• Like 1

Bundy
Posted
Posted

Let's try this on for size. A Filipino moves to Australia. Fresh fish or ANY seafood............. forget it, rediculously expensive.A nice Bowen mango..................... eeeeeek! $ 5.00 ea! ( 215pesos)Bananas........................................ eeeeeek! $ 17.00 kg! ( 731pesos)A plain hamburger......................... eeeeeek! $ 8.00 ( 344pesos)You think steak is expensive in Cebu?........... No it is not! We don't eat steak here ( can't afford it )Small roast chicken...........................eeeeeeek! $ 10.90 ( 468pesos)1 kg rice...........................................eeeeeeeek! $4.29 ( 184pesos)Massage..........................................eeeeeeeek! $50.00hr ( 2150pesos)Haircut (mens).................................eeeeeeeek! $17.00 ( 645pesos) It may be expensive to try and live a western lifestyle in the Philippines, depending on where you have come from obviously but the moral of the story is " When in Rome, do as the Romans do"

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

1 can of San Miguel Premium All Malt Beer in Robinson's Supermarket Tacloban, 45 pesos1 can of Lucky Beer that I used to drink in Canada from the market there $1SAME Staying in 4 or 5 star hotel in Cebu, Shangri La for example about 6,000 pesos a night if you are luckyStaying in Hong Kong at the 5 star I booked at for 3 nights 6,000 pesos a nightSAME A 20 year old pickup truck in Cebu 200,000 pesos minimumA 20 year old pickup truck where I am from in Canada 2,000 dollars and upWay cheaper in Canada Rent on a modern, 3 bedroom house, about 1400 square foot in Cebu 100K pesos and upSame where I am from in Canada Rent on a cheap 2 bedroom apartment in Cebu, about 10K pesos and upSimilar place will be at least double that in Canada Beautiful wife, friends, maids helpers etc in Cebu are availableIn Canada they are out of my price range. Hope some of these price comparisons shed light

• Like 1

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

For the Philippines being a 3rd world country with 1st world prices doesn't make too much since to me, but I do understand how corruption do affect the economy of things in order to line the pockets of greedy government officials and the influential rich family aristocrats, because they have 1st world taste and will not go back to fish heads and rice unless they are the honest or humble few with a conscience and pride to provide their faithful service to their country in order to improve the lives of the under privileged! Expats from every corner of the world visiting and residing in the Philippines do their fair share in improving the economy of the Philippines! The Philippine government should do their fair share in lifting a lot of the restrictions on imported and exported goods to be more fair and practical and if not, expats will live and buy elsewhere!

• Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Why is the price of Tylenol in a US drugstore different from the Philippines? It is the same manufacturer, the same ingredients, the same packaging. What happens is large companies like Johnson & Johnson adjust their prices depending on what the local market can pay. If Tylenol was sold at the same price as the USA, few in the Phiippines could afford it. The high taxes for the importation of cars comes from the time period when the Philippines had foreign exchange problems. It was one way to discourage the purchase of cars, which was considered a luxury purchase. Cars are now a necessity, but the government got used to charging high taxes. By the way, the cars exported to the Philippines are not the same as those sold in Canada and the USA. Philippines has a lower safety standards requirement. Even the Japanese were astonished to learn that the weight of the same model Toyota sold in the USA was heavier than one sold in Japan. The difference is the safety features requirement. For example, the entire chassis must be completely sealed to prevent water penetration and rust. In the Philippines, either rustproof the car yourself or watch it start to rust in about six years.

CebuAndy
Posted
Posted

Prices in Thailand:200 Marlboro = USD 24200 local cigarettes = USD 171 liter gasoline = USD 1,20Medical insurance IPD only, USD 17.200 coverage, age 50 = USD 620 yearly premium.Visa expenses for 1 year in Thailand (not married, no 800K in bank) = USD 862 yearly.Electric 1 unit = USD 0.10 (Typical USD 68-100 month)Vitamin V or K for men = USD 1,70Haircut men USD 2 - 10.1 can of Heineken USD 1.371 can of local beer USD 1,001,25 liter Coke USD 0,86Apartment rental USD 170-500 month.Motorbike rent 125-135cc USD 86-137 month.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Inspector
Posted
Posted

Yesterday got me thinking about the comparisons of the Philippines versus my home country, the US. Anyway, I was watching the Giants and Jets, american football (the man football)...on the computer. I have ASN, the american sports channel, but they did not have the game. Anyway, I had a computer stream going early, 7 AM...nice with no delays. Around 9 AM rolled around, and suddenly it became impossible to watch the game as it became chopped. I checked my speed...60 KB's...WTH? I usually get 3 MB download service, laughable for the price I pay, but football is on at 1 AM/4 AM here...and the night games (prime time), are early morning games here, and will be televised by ASN, thus avoiding the internet congestion. Well, anyway...it pissed me off that I was paying 3000 plus pesos for "fiber optic" 3 MB service from PLDT, with a simple phone that I can only contact others down here in the Philippines, and I could not even GET 3 MB to watch a football game that a channel, ASN, that I pay OVER 10 bucks for, also did not get. Why was I paying more then the US for less of a service? Anyway,...yes, I say anyway a lot...I started betching to the GF about the huge cost of bad service here and I realized something. In the USA, what we would call "cheap entertainment"...is VERY expensive here. I am talking television, HD (has none here)...movie rentals, high speed computer service where you can load pages as fast as a TV changes a channel. Example, in Arizona, Cox communications gives you a modem with 100 MB downloads...basic cable, digital AND basic phone line for as much as I pay for this CRAPPY 3MB service. Thus, cheap entertainment, in a western world, is as expensive, or more here in the Philippines...and you get horrible service on top of that, and overpay for this crap (why do they even SELL HD TV's here?...with no HD content??). However, in the western world, expensive entertainment is VERY expensive, while here in the Philippines, that, IMHO, is cheaper. By that I mean, a dinner out, maybe a club...drinks and some dancing later. Just the getting TO the places is silly priced in the US. Add in 4-5 dollar domestic beers, 40 bucks for a dinner for 2 at a Applebees (a cheaper place in the west), not including the 20% tip...drinks at a club...the get in fee...a movie 10 bucks plus a person...5-7 bucks for a box of popcorn. Take that up a notch, and start a trip or vacation...hotels?...cheapest you will find, those dingy chains on interstates will go for 50 bucks a night...and we are talking 1 star places. Gas prices for a country with great roads? In the Philippines, IMHO...expensive entertainment is cheaper. Heck...flying is cheap as well on those cebu pacific type airlines Oh, don't even start me going on the electric costs here, as I don't count air con as entertainment...but a must when you sleep. Again, a third world country at first world prices.

• Like 2

sjp52
Posted
Posted

I think when you talk about the more expensive things to compare, it is cheaper in the Philippines because there are a lot more people in the west that can afford the luxury of high end products and services. In Canada I think nothing of paying 4000 pesos for my tv servince but I have about 30 HD channels and god knows how many SD channels that I never watch. If you get a lot of people paying this amount to companies, they can afford to upgrade their service to all their customers. I also feel the people in the west demand better service as the people in the Philippines are just happy having any service. When my wifes internet service was real crappy for a while I said you should call them up and complain, She said I did last month. I said you need to keep complaining until they fix it. She said thats just the way it is here in the Philippines.