Human Nature

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Bruce suggested in the post HERE and quoted below, to start a topic about human nature, so here it is. If we can, let us keep it about the differences in human nature in other countries (culturally) verses the Philippines as much as possible, since this forum is mostly about the Philippines. Members should also feel free to start their own topics and if you do not know where to put the topic, then put it in off topic and one of us will move it if we feel it might be better suited somewhere else. I cannot comment because I am not human. :cheers:

I suggest that if anyone wants to further discuss human nature.... you start such a topic and then we all can jump in!

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I believe its Humane Nature to be a pain in the backside yes.gif

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Better understanding human nature puts you in a position to not only better accept the differences in cultures and behaviors, but also allows to to predict, with some certainty, the near future.... While we all like to think we are 'unique', in reality the best we can hope for is to be in a GROUP that is somewhat unigue. If it can be thought, it has already been thunk! If it can be done, it most likely has been already. Even the 1st man on the moon... if it was not him, within a short time it would be some one else.... The majority of credit for the telephone goes to Bell, but in reality, he was one of 3, who at the same time, developed the same theories, but he was the first to get a patent. Human nature is driven by biology. There is 'set' behaviors and 'learned' human behaviors. Some can be changed, some can not. This is why we have clashes in the laws of human nature vs the laws of man. Date a 15 yr old girl in South Carolina and while some people may not like it, it is legal. But go 200 miles south to Florida and you are looking at serious jail time.... Human nature is grouped into different sets of behaviors. Some with physical tale tell signs.... Lee had posted not too long ago about his trip to Mindenao (spl?) and while walking the street with his wife, he noticed severl men exhibiting 'human nature' in their movements that led Lee to believe that an attact was coming. Now, in the animal world, Lee could have just killed them on the spot (human nature laws) and no negative issues come up. But we don't live in the animal world. So, before Lee can rip their arms off and beat them to death with their own arms, THEY have to make the 1st aggressive move (Learned behavior on Lee's part). So, Lee sees, understands and adapts his behaviors (human nature laws) to protect his wife and himself, the young men see what Lee is doing and (learned bahavior) decide to look for a softer target. By learning about human nature it puts YOU into a better position understand others and to understand yourself.... In a best case situation.... it is comparable to an adult (with a excellent grasp on human nature) dealing with a child. The adult sees and understands and thinks 'ahead' as to where the child is trying to manipulate the adult into going. Police do it with criminals in their questioning. The cops already (often) know who what where and when, but they need a confession and the little details to close the case. By understanding human nature, they can often manipulate the criminal into a corner and then close the case with the criminals own words. By understanding human nature, you can see an old man and a 18 yr old GF together AND (this is the important part) get past the reqular crowd with their (wrong) labels of pervert and child molester. While an 18 yr old GF might not interest you, it is sound thinking from a biological standpoint. When your mate may start trying to 'push your buttons', you may be able to step back and see if you did something to push their buttons first or is there another cause. Predict where it is going and then make a decision on how to procede.While it may not be 'politically correct' to say it, in many cases, the (damn) foreigner male is better educated and has a higher intelect than his chosen Pinay mate(s). (Does not mean you still aren't an ass!) So by better understanding human nature, with a sub heading of cultures, you can (maybe) have a better relationship. AND! Pay attention............ by understanding human nature, INCLUDING your own, you just might see what negative patterns you have with (women / men) and then avoid making a huge mistake. How many of you reading this have 'a few' exes that if you knew what she was like, you would have never had a 2nd date? By learning human nature, it puts you in a better position to deal with life......

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Better understanding human nature puts you in a position to not only better accept the differences in cultures and behaviors, but also allows to to predict, with some certainty, the near future.... While we all like to think we are 'unique', in reality the best we can hope for is to be in a GROUP that is somewhat unigue. If it can be thought, it has already been thunk! If it can be done, it most likely has been already. Even the 1st man on the moon... if it was not him, within a short time it would be some one else.... The majority of credit for the telephone goes to Bell, but in reality, he was one of 3, who at the same time, developed the same theories, but he was the first to get a patent. Human nature is driven by biology. There is 'set' behaviors and 'learned' human behaviors. Some can be changed, some can not. This is why we have clashes in the laws of human nature vs the laws of man. Date a 15 yr old girl in South Carolina and while some people may not like it, it is legal. But go 200 miles south to Florida and you are looking at serious jail time.... Human nature is grouped into different sets of behaviors. Some with physical tale tell signs.... Lee had posted not too long ago about his trip to Mindenao (spl?) and while walking the street with his wife, he noticed severl men exhibiting 'human nature' in their movements that led Lee to believe that an attact was coming. Now, in the animal world, Lee could have just killed them on the spot (human nature laws) and no negative issues come up. But we don't live in the animal world. So, before Lee can rip their arms off and beat them to death with their own arms, THEY have to make the 1st aggressive move (Learned behavior on Lee's part). So, Lee sees, understands and adapts his behaviors (human nature laws) to protect his wife and himself, the young men see what Lee is doing and (learned bahavior) decide to look for a softer target. By learning about human nature it puts YOU into a better position understand others and to understand yourself.... In a best case situation.... it is comparable to an adult (with a excellent grasp on human nature) dealing with a child. The adult sees and understands and thinks 'ahead' as to where the child is trying to manipulate the adult into going. Police do it with criminals in their questioning. The cops already (often) know who what where and when, but they need a confession and the little details to close the case. By understanding human nature, they can often manipulate the criminal into a corner and then close the case with the criminals own words. By understanding human nature, you can see an old man and a 18 yr old GF together AND (this is the important part) get past the reqular crowd with their (wrong) labels of pervert and child molester. While an 18 yr old GF might not interest you, it is sound thinking from a biological standpoint. When your mate may start trying to 'push your buttons', you may be able to step back and see if you did something to push their buttons first or is there another cause. Predict where it is going and then make a decision on how to procede.While it may not be 'politically correct' to say it, in many cases, the (damn) foreigner male is better educated and has a higher intelect than his chosen Pinay mate(s). (Does not mean you still aren't an ass!) So by better understanding human nature, with a sub heading of cultures, you can (maybe) have a better relationship. AND! Pay attention............ by understanding human nature, INCLUDING your own, you just might see what negative patterns you have with (women / men) and then avoid making a huge mistake. How many of you reading this have 'a few' exes that if you knew what she was like, you would have never had a 2nd date? By learning human nature, it puts you in a better position to deal with life......
So what is your point Bruce! laugh.gif

ekimswish
Posted
Posted

Back to Bruce's topic, I'm not disagreeing that humans behave and think as he says they do, but those things can be as easily a cultural influence as one of human nature. I learned from my parents who learned from growing up in a "Christian" environment that "to spare the rod is to spoil the child." They spanked us in as consistent and controlled a manner as possible. Still, I learned nothing from it other than belts hurt. When the belt came out, my brother and sister resorted to crying and begging for mercy. I clenched my teeth and either took it, or, when bigger, talked back. When teenagers, we learned there was nothing else they could do to us. WE WERE BIGGER THAN THEM. I have been violent with my own dad, and there was nothing he could do. We could swear at them and yell at them and throw tantrums and they couldn't SPANK us because we were too big. What they could've done is thrown us out of the house, and that might've worked, but it's not a given. Maybe a lot of you wish they threw us out, as my brother has admitted to me, to teach us lessons, but here we stand a decade plus later and we all love, respect, and appreciate each other. If they threw us out, that might be the case and it might not. Who knows?Anyways, I tried spanking my first daughter consistently, but it didn't work. There were just too many instances when I needed to spank her. The only effect it had was to make her angry and violent herself. She didn't hesitate to smack kids at the playground on a daily basis. She also just escalated the trouble by doing exactly what I was punishing her for. I knew it was a problem, and tried not to spank her anymore, but I'd always get pulled back into it just through sheer frustration and stress, some of it work related. Finally, a friend of mine challenged me to use a time out chair, a concept I always looked down on as "weak." My daughter resisted it at first, but I stayed calm and held her in it. I would give her a countdown for sitting still to get out. I would take the opportunity to teach her speech (she was lagging at the time). Eventually, she got the routine of it, and our lives improved tremendously, not to mention my stress dropped a lot, not needing to "spank" my screaming kid everytime she acted her age. Anyways, I think parents who talk to their kids or lead by example get the best results. It's not a guarantee that your kids will not lose in life, but you'll probably have a much better relationship, and maybe earn their respect without "spanking" it out of them. Do we have violent urges? Definitely. Do I expect people to be better than that? Yeah, I do. Because the one thing that separates us from "dogs" is our capacity for thought. We have much bigger brains. We can figure out a way not to kill each other.... somehow... if we just think about it.

Bill Bernard
Posted
Posted

There is a car turned over on the road- To a western person it is upside down, to a Philippino it might be downside up. Human nature is basically the same in all cultures, but the perspective and general behavior is different. Pinoys that come to our place act in ways that would get them a slapdown in my hometown, but in their own group it isnt rude or inconsiderate. I think there is risk if we try to make too much out of the differences. The key to tolerance is acceptance, understanding, and learning. Dont think for a minute we dont seem barbaric to them, they just dont tell us.

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)
It sounds like to me that Bruce's point is that, we're no better than animals with prim evil animal instincts and mankind has not evolved yet, but we are just like domesticated animals conditioned to act civilized in society, unless we are educated! His words as he put it: While it may not be 'politically correct' to say it, in many cases, the (damn) foreigner male is better educated and has a higher intelect than his chosen Pinay mate(s). th_thholysheep.gif It's not a matter if it's politically correct or not! It's just down right chauvinistic! sad.gifangry.gifSugarwareZ-037.gifIt's never to late to eat a little piece of humble pie, to tame and mellow the soul! Edited by Art2ro

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
There is a car turned over on the road- To a western person it is upside down, to a Philippino it might be downside up. Human nature is basically the same in all cultures, but the perspective and general behavior is different. Pinoys that come to our place act in ways that would get them a slapdown in my hometown, but in their own group it isnt rude or inconsiderate. I think there is risk if we try to make too much out of the differences. The key to tolerance is acceptance, understanding, and learning. Dont think for a minute we dont seem barbaric to them, they just dont tell us.
AddEmoticons04230.gifagree.gifth_thbestpost.gif

Bruce
Posted
Posted
Better understanding human nature puts you in a position to not only better accept the differences in cultures and behaviors, but also allows to to predict, with some certainty, the near future.... While we all like to think we are 'unique', in reality the best we can hope for is to be in a GROUP that is somewhat unigue. If it can be thought, it has already been thunk! If it can be done, it most likely has been already. Even the 1st man on the moon... if it was not him, within a short time it would be some one else.... The majority of credit for the telephone goes to Bell, but in reality, he was one of 3, who at the same time, developed the same theories, but he was the first to get a patent. Human nature is driven by biology. There is 'set' behaviors and 'learned' human behaviors. Some can be changed, some can not. This is why we have clashes in the laws of human nature vs the laws of man. Date a 15 yr old girl in South Carolina and while some people may not like it, it is legal. But go 200 miles south to Florida and you are looking at serious jail time.... Human nature is grouped into different sets of behaviors. Some with physical tale tell signs.... Lee had posted not too long ago about his trip to Mindenao (spl?) and while walking the street with his wife, he noticed severl men exhibiting 'human nature' in their movements that led Lee to believe that an attact was coming. Now, in the animal world, Lee could have just killed them on the spot (human nature laws) and no negative issues come up. But we don't live in the animal world. So, before Lee can rip their arms off and beat them to death with their own arms, THEY have to make the 1st aggressive move (Learned behavior on Lee's part). So, Lee sees, understands and adapts his behaviors (human nature laws) to protect his wife and himself, the young men see what Lee is doing and (learned bahavior) decide to look for a softer target. By learning about human nature it puts YOU into a better position understand others and to understand yourself.... In a best case situation.... it is comparable to an adult (with a excellent grasp on human nature) dealing with a child. The adult sees and understands and thinks 'ahead' as to where the child is trying to manipulate the adult into going. Police do it with criminals in their questioning. The cops already (often) know who what where and when, but they need a confession and the little details to close the case. By understanding human nature, they can often manipulate the criminal into a corner and then close the case with the criminals own words. By understanding human nature, you can see an old man and a 18 yr old GF together AND (this is the important part) get past the reqular crowd with their (wrong) labels of pervert and child molester. While an 18 yr old GF might not interest you, it is sound thinking from a biological standpoint.When your mate may start trying to 'push your buttons', you may be able to step back and see if you did something to push their buttons first or is there another cause. Predict where it is going and then make a decision on how to procede.While it may not be 'politically correct' to say it, in many cases, the (damn) foreigner male is better educated and has a higher intelect than his chosen Pinay mate(s). (Does not mean you still aren't an ass!) So by better understanding human nature, with a sub heading of cultures, you can (maybe) have a better relationship. AND! Pay attention............ by understanding human nature, INCLUDING your own, you just might see what negative patterns you have with (women / men) and then avoid making a huge mistake. How many of you reading this have 'a few' exes that if you knew what she was like, you would have never had a 2nd date? By learning human nature, it puts you in a better position to deal with life......
My point is that by observing and learning, we may be able to change things a bit. By learning human nature and reconizing things that people do, gives you at least a one up on the situation. We humans are critical by nature. We have the capacity to learn and grow. Animals ... not so much... A fine example is Liverpool. (Yes, where the Beatles are from) Before WWII, Liverpool was a domain unto itself. You would be born there, grow up there, marry there, have kids there, and die there. You knew what to do how to act and what was expected of you. After WWII Liverpool bacame more open and today is simply a place where people came from. As long as people stayed in Liverpool, no problems. Leave Liverpool and you have to learn how to act and think and what not depending on where you went.Now, for Phils today, it attracts people (mostly men) from all over the world to either visit or retire to. As you are aware... there have been some adjustment issues. This is where human nature comes in! With of course a sub set of cultural learning. Study human nature, see what issues you have brought with you to the Land of Pinays (you drunken sot!) learn how to grow past them. Learn how to observe others and see how you interact with them. See how you can tweek your future by better being able to fit in .... or not!You could end up like me...... the odd man out. Aware of how I say things that may offend or irritate others.... but then lacking in the ability to care! Hehehehehe Ah! The stories my dear mother could tell.......

Bruce
Posted
Posted
Better understanding human nature puts you in a position to not only better accept the differences in cultures and behaviors, but also allows to to predict, with some certainty, the near future.... While we all like to think we are 'unique', in reality the best we can hope for is to be in a GROUP that is somewhat unigue. If it can be thought, it has already been thunk! If it can be done, it most likely has been already. Even the 1st man on the moon... if it was not him, within a short time it would be some one else.... The majority of credit for the telephone goes to Bell, but in reality, he was one of 3, who at the same time, developed the same theories, but he was the first to get a patent. Human nature is driven by biology. There is 'set' behaviors and 'learned' human behaviors. Some can be changed, some can not. This is why we have clashes in the laws of human nature vs the laws of man. Date a 15 yr old girl in South Carolina and while some people may not like it, it is legal. But go 200 miles south to Florida and you are looking at serious jail time.... Human nature is grouped into different sets of behaviors. Some with physical tale tell signs.... Lee had posted not too long ago about his trip to Mindenao (spl?) and while walking the street with his wife, he noticed severl men exhibiting 'human nature' in their movements that led Lee to believe that an attact was coming. Now, in the animal world, Lee could have just killed them on the spot (human nature laws) and no negative issues come up. But we don't live in the animal world. So, before Lee can rip their arms off and beat them to death with their own arms, THEY have to make the 1st aggressive move (Learned behavior on Lee's part). So, Lee sees, understands and adapts his behaviors (human nature laws) to protect his wife and himself, the young men see what Lee is doing and (learned bahavior) decide to look for a softer target. By learning about human nature it puts YOU into a better position understand others and to understand yourself.... In a best case situation.... it is comparable to an adult (with a excellent grasp on human nature) dealing with a child. The adult sees and understands and thinks 'ahead' as to where the child is trying to manipulate the adult into going. Police do it with criminals in their questioning. The cops already (often) know who what where and when, but they need a confession and the little details to close the case. By understanding human nature, they can often manipulate the criminal into a corner and then close the case with the criminals own words. By understanding human nature, you can see an old man and a 18 yr old GF together AND (this is the important part) get past the reqular crowd with their (wrong) labels of pervert and child molester. While an 18 yr old GF might not interest you, it is sound thinking from a biological standpoint.When your mate may start trying to 'push your buttons', you may be able to step back and see if you did something to push their buttons first or is there another cause. Predict where it is going and then make a decision on how to procede.While it may not be 'politically correct' to say it, in many cases, the (damn) foreigner male is better educated and has a higher intelect than his chosen Pinay mate(s). (Does not mean you still aren't an ass!) So by better understanding human nature, with a sub heading of cultures, you can (maybe) have a better relationship. AND! Pay attention............ by understanding human nature, INCLUDING your own, you just might see what negative patterns you have with (women / men) and then avoid making a huge mistake. How many of you reading this have 'a few' exes that if you knew what she was like, you would have never had a 2nd date? By learning human nature, it puts you in a better position to deal with life......
It sounds like to me that Bruce's point is that, we're no better than animals with prim evil animal instincts and mankind has not evolved yet, but we are just like domesticated animals conditioned to act civilized in society, unless we are educated! His words as he put it: While it may not be 'politically correct' to say it, in many cases, the (damn) foreigner male is better educated and has a higher intelect than his chosen Pinay mate(s). th_thholysheep.gif It's not a matter if it's politically correct or not! It's just down right chauvinistic! sad.gifangry.gifSugarwareZ-037.gif
So... you are not disputing the accuracy of my statement, just that my pointing out the obvious is wrong.... It is OK for one to be smarter or better educated than their spouse / significant other! I am no exception. LOTS of people smarter than me and better educated than I am. Why even some women too! (is that chauvanistic? hehehehe) Hey, I got a question. Say YOU are 6' and 205 and your wife is 5' and 98 pounds. Is it improper or wrong or does it offend you that she asks you to carry the 50 kilo sack of rice? Using this same logic.... is it wrong for you to have a checking account and do the bookwork if your wife has never done so before? Should she be offended? When I am in the Philippines, and I am with a woman, I give her a wad of cash. She takes care of the taxi and tipping and buying things. Why? Because she is better at it than me.... and I am not the least bit offended. There is NOTHING WRONG with one person being 'better' at something than you are or in the reverse, you being better than the other person at certain things.....