Pension Reduced. Another Thread On Can I Live On?

the dude
Posted
Posted

Hi guys. I know this topic has been done to death but I just have to write. Just found out that my pension isn't what I thought was going to be because of the crash in 08. I've come to realization that itsgoing to be significantly less. I'm getting an early retirement at 55 for a reason. Want to move to phils as soon as possible. I know that 7 years later I'll be receiving social security from the states. So that's a good thing. I seriously think that I can. Yes. I can live on $1,200 a month there. Like I said. I cook at home all the time. I'll probably go out to eat a couple of times week. Of course I'll frequent bars....but I'm a cheap drinker even by western standards. Only concern I have is that rentals are so much more than Pattaya. Pattaya has over abundance of empty rooms available. Can get a ocean front condo rental for as low as $400 a month. If I can find a nice affordable rental than cool. I just wish that I had a little more to play with but hey...you got to do with what you got. I JUST LOVE P.I. too much and want to get out of dodge as soon as possible. So can I do it for $1,200 a month? All depends on the life style. right? thanx good luck The Dude :whistling: :551:

Jake
Posted
Posted
Hi guys. I know this topic has been done to death but I just have to write. Just found out that my pension isn't what I thought was going to be because of the crash in 08. I've come to realization that itsgoing to be significantly less. I'm getting an early retirement at 55 for a reason. Want to move to phils as soon as possible. I know that 7 years later I'll be receiving social security from the states. So that's a good thing. I seriously think that I can. Yes. I can live on $1,200 a month there. Like I said. I cook at home all the time. I'll probably go out to eat a couple of times week. Of course I'll frequent bars....but I'm a cheap drinker even by western standards. Only concern I have is that rentals are so much more than Pattaya. Pattaya has over abundance of empty rooms available. Can get a ocean front condo rental for as low as $400 a month. If I can find a nice affordable rental than cool. I just wish that I had a little more to play with but hey...you got to do with what you got. I JUST LOVE P.I. too much and want to get out of dodge as soon as possible. So can I do it for $1,200 a month? All depends on the life style. right? thanx good luck The Dude :whistling: :551:
Hello Dude,Let's see -- twelve hundred bucks is equivalent to 51,600 pesos. Definitely depends on your chosen lifestyle and location. In the city, suburbs or out in the boonies, one needs to have boots on the ground for at least a period of a month to really pin down your budget. Factor in what kind of relationship (if any) you want to pursue, your ideal budget may take a nosedive before you even realize it. Just make sure you have a exit plan to explore other locations, perhaps another island orprovince. There are plenty of discussions regarding monthly budget, such as: http://www.philippin...indpost&p=40441 and this one:http://www.philippin...indpost&p=32529Best of luck to you sir -- Jake

the dude
Posted
Posted

Thank you for your input Jake. take care the dude :whistling:

Papa Carl
Posted
Posted
Thank you for your input Jake. take care the dude :)
On 51,600 pesos a month, I know it can be done!!! I have lived with my wife for the past two years on less than that. Do we still have the top floor condo at CityLand in Makati ...., no! Do we live in a western built 2 bed and 2 bath house in Pasig Manila..., yes. (Keep in mind I am about to move to Pampanga, but I have had no income at all for over 3 months, so was able to save on less than 51,000 before that.)As many have said, it will depend on what you want and what you are willing to accept. Having said that, yes it can be done.Best of luck to you, and if you want it..., it will happen. You can't find a better place in the world to live out your dreams, nor a better people to live with.Looking forward to meeting you when you get here, and for sure this forum is the place to be in order to get the right help and advise to make it workPapa Carl

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

In 1997 when I voluntarily took an early retirement at age 49 with 30m yrs of service from the U.S. Civil Service Commission and U.S.A.F Military Reserves, I took a cut in pay of my retirement pension, but it was still enough to live on in the Philippines back in 1998! When I reached age of 60 when my Military Reserves pension & 62 my Social Security pension kicked in 11 years later, my total combined income doubled! The only thing that sucks, is that the cost of living allowance increase every year is no longer, across the board for everyone in the U.S.! SugarwareZ-034.gif But, "Good things do come to those who wait patiently" if one can reach 62 and beyond!AddEmoticons04230.gif

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Hi guys. I know this topic has been done to death but I just have to write. Just found out that my pension isn't what I thought was going to be because of the crash in 08. I've come to realization that itsgoing to be significantly less. I'm getting an early retirement at 55 for a reason. Want to move to phils as soon as possible. I know that 7 years later I'll be receiving social security from the states. So that's a good thing. I seriously think that I can. Yes. I can live on $1,200 a month there. Like I said. I cook at home all the time. I'll probably go out to eat a couple of times week. Of course I'll frequent bars....but I'm a cheap drinker even by western standards. Only concern I have is that rentals are so much more than Pattaya. Pattaya has over abundance of empty rooms available. Can get a ocean front condo rental for as low as $400 a month. If I can find a nice affordable rental than cool. I just wish that I had a little more to play with but hey...you got to do with what you got. I JUST LOVE P.I. too much and want to get out of dodge as soon as possible. So can I do it for $1,200 a month? All depends on the life style. right? thanx good luck The Dude :) :th_thbestpost:
As you already know, there is no easy answer, so yes and no. The exchange rate and rising cost of living has been going against us lately, so yes it can be done but at a cost of giving up things. It now costs my wife and I much more than that a month in Cebu City and we already own our own condo, so therefore are only paying monthly condo fees of p2400 and no rent, but I need my aircon and I like American type foods, yet I rarely drink or go our partying, so I do not think we could live on that, yet others seem to manage by making due with a smaller place or no aircon, or only running the aircon to sleep, or living outside the city, etc. Sorry I cannot be more positive or definitive, it will all depend on you.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Figure out your fixed costs, like rent, visa renewals, food, utilities, and then see what you have left over. Can you live on that? My fixed costs run very close to $1,000 a month so your budget would allow me about 10,000 pesos a month for fun things. That is a very lean budget for me and probably most westerners when they first arrive. It can be done but would you enjoy it? Many that have tried before age 65 end up going back to work because they want some extra spending money.

Garpo
Posted
Posted

52,000. is more than enough for me, but I live in a small town and not in a big city like Manila or Cebu. I might also add that I am much in the same situation as you at my age of 56. I have one retirement now and will be getting my social secuiity in six years that will double my present spendable income. I have been here since September of 2010 and see no reason or desire to leave. I would like to find something to add to my present income which is not that much more than yours but, I do not feel that I have to have more income to live on. Like I said, I am not much more than you, I have my wife and mother in-law and I still am able to save between 10 to 15 K per month. So I also know that it can be done.

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

I know of people living on less, in the Barrios of Olongapo City who are living on their U.S. Social Security pension of $500 to $800 a month and fortunately their homes are paid for and they live on the local economy within their Barrios, some even have a 1/2 HP air conditioner in their bedroom! So, if one can live like the locals do, even a foreigner can too! AddEmoticons04230.gif

Edited by Art2ro

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

If I were single I wouldn’t chose to live on 50K a month in Philippines. I would want to live life not just survive. Some Foreigners live on less than 50K some are living happily on much less. I guess you are the only one who would know. Give it a try you can always move back to your homeland and save more for a later time.