Pension Reduced. Another Thread On Can I Live On?

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

When I was single in the late 60s and just joined the military, I was surely just living on way less than P50,000, more like $175 a month, but I still enjoyed myself with night life and the women after work with the guys in my younger days in the Philippines, because back in those days night clubs off base were rocking and women were everywhere! And now that I'm older, much wiser and retired in the Philippines, life is still grand, because we are now enjoying our retirement! Life is grand when a plan comes together! So, good luck to those contemplating to visit or retire in the Philippines! "Life is what we all make it to be"! AddEmoticons04230.gif

Edited by Art2ro

Travis
Posted
Posted
Hi guys. I know this topic has been done to death but I just have to write. Just found out that my pension isn't what I thought was going to be because of the crash in 08. I've come to realization that itsgoing to be significantly less. I'm getting an early retirement at 55 for a reason. Want to move to phils as soon as possible. I know that 7 years later I'll be receiving social security from the states. So that's a good thing. I seriously think that I can. Yes. I can live on $1,200 a month there. Like I said. I cook at home all the time. I'll probably go out to eat a couple of times week. Of course I'll frequent bars....but I'm a cheap drinker even by western standards. Only concern I have is that rentals are so much more than Pattaya. Pattaya has over abundance of empty rooms available. Can get a ocean front condo rental for as low as $400 a month. If I can find a nice affordable rental than cool. I just wish that I had a little more to play with but hey...you got to do with what you got. I JUST LOVE P.I. too much and want to get out of dodge as soon as possible. So can I do it for $1,200 a month? All depends on the life style. right? thanx good luck The Dude :AddEmoticons04230: :o
can you live on it yes would you be happy no because I tried & went back to the good old place where I belong to make some more for a nest egg so I can be happy in retirement instead of just existing

Art2ro
Posted
Posted
Hi guys. I know this topic has been done to death but I just have to write. Just found out that my pension isn't what I thought was going to be because of the crash in 08. I've come to realization that itsgoing to be significantly less. I'm getting an early retirement at 55 for a reason. Want to move to phils as soon as possible. I know that 7 years later I'll be receiving social security from the states. So that's a good thing. I seriously think that I can. Yes. I can live on $1,200 a month there. Like I said. I cook at home all the time. I'll probably go out to eat a couple of times week. Of course I'll frequent bars....but I'm a cheap drinker even by western standards. Only concern I have is that rentals are so much more than Pattaya. Pattaya has over abundance of empty rooms available. Can get a ocean front condo rental for as low as $400 a month. If I can find a nice affordable rental than cool. I just wish that I had a little more to play with but hey...you got to do with what you got. I JUST LOVE P.I. too much and want to get out of dodge as soon as possible. So can I do it for $1,200 a month? All depends on the life style. right? thanx good luck The Dude :AddEmoticons04230: :o
Can you live on it yes would you be happy no because I tried & went back to the good old place where I belong to make some more for a nest egg so I can be happy in retirement instead of just existing
Well Travis, you now know the ropes from your past experiences when you were here last in Cebu! There are other places than Cebu and cheaper too, but I don't think you plan to stay long when you finally meet the woman of your dreams because as you stated, you plan to take here her back home with you to the U.S.! All I can say is best of wishes and good luck! Art

the dude
Posted
Posted
52,000. is more than enough for me, but I live in a small town and not in a big city like Manila or Cebu. I might also add that I am much in the same situation as you at my age of 56. I have one retirement now and will be getting my social secuiity in six years that will double my present spendable income. I have been here since September of 2010 and see no reason or desire to leave. I would like to find something to add to my present income which is not that much more than yours but, I do not feel that I have to have more income to live on. Like I said, I am not much more than you, I have my wife and mother in-law and I still am able to save between 10 to 15 K per month. So I also know that it can be done.
Thank you so much. Yes. In six to seven years i'll have more to spend on. Like you. take care. Redhorse :unsure:

the dude
Posted
Posted
Hi guys. I know this topic has been done to death but I just have to write. Just found out that my pension isn't what I thought was going to be because of the crash in 08. I've come to realization that itsgoing to be significantly less. I'm getting an early retirement at 55 for a reason. Want to move to phils as soon as possible. I know that 7 years later I'll be receiving social security from the states. So that's a good thing. I seriously think that I can. Yes. I can live on $1,200 a month there. Like I said. I cook at home all the time. I'll probably go out to eat a couple of times week. Of course I'll frequent bars....but I'm a cheap drinker even by western standards. Only concern I have is that rentals are so much more than Pattaya. Pattaya has over abundance of empty rooms available. Can get a ocean front condo rental for as low as $400 a month. If I can find a nice affordable rental than cool. I just wish that I had a little more to play with but hey...you got to do with what you got. I JUST LOVE P.I. too much and want to get out of dodge as soon as possible. So can I do it for $1,200 a month? All depends on the life style. right? thanx good luck The Dude :cheersty: :th_signs083:
This site is so informative. There's a great thread about this topic. Thanx guys...:unsure: Can't copy and paste buy it's called "is it really less expensive to live in philippines?

the dude
Posted
Posted
Figure out your fixed costs, like rent, visa renewals, food, utilities, and then see what you have left over. Can you live on that? My fixed costs run very close to $1,000 a month so your budget would allow me about 10,000 pesos a month for fun things. That is a very lean budget for me and probably most westerners when they first arrive. It can be done but would you enjoy it? Many that have tried before age 65 end up going back to work because they want some extra spending money.
Yes. Absolutely. Guess I'm different in that I don't go out to eat at fancy restaurants ...don't do it here in the states. I rerely go out to eat. Perhaps 3 times a week. Now that being said, I do go out to drink. I know I can drink cheaply there in P.i. I've done it. Just 10,000 left for fun....Not even close. Guess my math is a lil different than yours...and priority !! I thnk this was a wrong place to ask this question. AND DON'T FORGET....social securtiy 6 years later. I'm happier that I've read a thread on "is it really cheap to live in P.I." Everyones life style is oh so different. p.s. I have been to P.I. many times and lived there for 4 to 5 months stretch. I'm no newbie interms of S.E.A living. take care the Dude :unsure:

tim
Posted
Posted
Figure out your fixed costs, like rent, visa renewals, food, utilities, and then see what you have left over. Can you live on that? My fixed costs run very close to $1,000 a month so your budget would allow me about 10,000 pesos a month for fun things. That is a very lean budget for me and probably most westerners when they first arrive. It can be done but would you enjoy it? Many that have tried before age 65 end up going back to work because they want some extra spending money.
Yes. Absolutely. Guess I'm different in that I don't go out to eat at fancy restaurants ...don't do it here in the states. I rerely go out to eat. Perhaps 3 times a week. Now that being said, I do go out to drink. I know I can drink cheaply there in P.i. I've done it. Just 10,000 left for fun....Not even close. Guess my math is a lil different than yours...and priority !! I thnk this was a wrong place to ask this question. AND DON'T FORGET....social securtiy 6 years later. I'm happier that I've read a thread on "is it really cheap to live in P.I." Everyones life style is oh so different. p.s. I have been to P.I. many times and lived there for 4 to 5 months stretch. I'm no newbie interms of S.E.A living. take care the Dude :emostrongbow:
DudeOne thing to watch for is the current Political process going on in the states. With budget issues being review nobody knowns how your Social Security will be effected. Everything is still up in the air. But U getting your SS check at age 62, I do not think it will happen for U. If U got 7 years to reach 62, do not count on receiving it (this in JMHO of course) but U might see your first check at age 65 or 67. I would be sure that U can live on your current income, do not count on any future increase until U get it in hand...Good lucktim from Memphis

Bill Bernard
Posted
Posted

I am quite surprised to see so many Americans considering the move to the Philippines, given the cheap housing avail in the US now. Now given that most non edible items are imported , and are made in China, they are also much cheaper in the US due to purchasing power and those razor thin Walmart margins. I Canada where housing and the cost of living are much higher, it is far far more expensive here. It makes economic sense to relocate. Many of us are now looking south, buying in Arizona, Florida, etc. I have started looking at the Carolinas instead of Davao. It is much cheaper.

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

There’s a lot of conditions to factor in when deciding where to live based on a couple‘s circumstances which most of the retirees we‘re talking about are married to younger Filipinas and their husbands are in their early 60s and late 70s and pretty much on a fixed income and don‘t plan on traveling back and forth to the husband's home country or the Philippines anymore and it also depends on the decision of their wife where she prefers to live, which is most likely near her parents or close relatives! So, the husband & wife really has to weigh all the pros and cons which is the best choice to make in where to live and when with what income they have to live on, come what may! Us old guys will pass on eventually and we all should think about our wives' future needs without us and leave her where she will be happy or be able to afford her the option where to live where she so desires and with an adequate income after we are long gone!

Edited by Art2ro

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)
I am quite surprised to see so many Americans considering the move to the Philippines, given the cheap housing avail in the US now. Now given that most non edible items are imported , and are made in China, they are also much cheaper in the US due to purchasing power and those razor thin Walmart margins.I Canada where housing and the cost of living are much higher, it is far far more expensive here. It makes economic sense to relocate. Many of us are now looking south, buying in Arizona, Florida, etc. I have started looking at the Carolinas instead of Davao. It is much cheaper.
We live near BC Canada and visit once a year lovely place. North Carolina is wonderful!Philippines has become expensive but if you are willing to live a simple life it can be a good choice for those living on SSI and nothing more. A lot of it is to do with Filipinas and what Art said. Edited by Old55