My Wife Is Going To The Hospital !!!

MikeB
Posted
Posted
Hi Everyone i just wanted to let you all know my wife is going to the hospital shes having allot of pain in her stomach and cramps !! and she said allot of diarrhea she had this one time before and it turned out she had Amebic Dysentery , i hope and pray that she doesn't have this again !!! she just left for the hospital right now so i don't have any solid idea whats wrong i will keep you all posted , i worry so much some times and i know were all friends here i just need to vent this out to my friends on the forum to get it off my chest !! O-U-C :wave:
OUC, I contracted amoebic dysentery on my first trip to the Philippines in 2002 because I wasn't careful with what I ate and drank, we think it was a mango shake in Boracay made from contaminated tap water. It has to be confirmed through a stool sample which I assume they are doing. Free amoebas are killed by the body's defenses but they have evolved to form spores or protective covers which pass through the stomach into the lower intestines and are released. That's what I had. I lost 17 lbs in a week. There is a specific antibiotic they prescribe for this, don't recall the name but it's taken once or twice a day for 10 or 12 days. The antibiotic kills helpful bacteria too, unfortunately, but it will get rid of it, if that's what it is. Please let us know how she is.

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Bruce again..... Ok it is a parasite. Can be in the gut, liver or brain.... different stages between egg to actual adult parasite cause different symptoms. Here is the good news..................... (usually) easy to treat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! cheap to treat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There are two different types of medical approaches to this and many other infections..... 'reactive' and 'presumptive'. Reative is waiting for some confirmation testing to be done and the results in before any treatment is given. Presumptive on the other hand is assessing the situation and then coming up with the most likely cause(s) and starting treatment NOW. Treatment in this any other similar infections is a CHEAP drug called metronidiazole (flagyl) which is simple pills. and Erythromycin, also a cheap medication. You can 'try' to treat with just the flagyl, but you wil have better success if you use both meds. Go to the local pharmacy and buy (depending on the patient's weight) erythromycin 400 mg for 7 days and 1 gram per day for the flagyl for 10 days. Children and very small pinays may require a smaller dose. DO NOT DRINK ALCOHOL WHILE TAKING THE FLAGY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This treatment will also treat many other similar issues that you may not even know you have. Do not take if you know you have an allergy to either meds. Hope this helps........

Inspector
Posted
Posted

Prayers out to you OUC...sounds like they got it in time, so that is some good news. Keep us posted!

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Metronidazole is what I was taking and, yea, no alcohol. The drug itself makes you feel awful but got rid of it...eventually. Nice vacation.

OldUgly&Cranky
Posted
Posted

thanks guys for all your info and prayers i still havent heard anything back yet from her i guess shes still sleeping since it was at least 3am in the P.I when she got home i will def no more when she wakes up !!! as soon as i know i'll post it !!! mike she was going to give a stool sample but she couldnt at the time !! when i was chatting to her before she went to the hospital she went to the cr at least 5 times , i was told by her in a txt when she was at the hospital that they took a blood sample so im not sure if they will be able to tell just from that ??? without a stool sample ??? and thanks bruce for the info my friend when i find out for sure i will tell her what you said about the meds thanks everyone !!! its kind of nerve racking and you kind of feel helpless when im not there with her right now !! on the bright side i can only hope she just had a bad bad case of LBM and she will be fine but i still dont know yet !! keep my fingers crossed again THANKS SO MUCH EVERYONE !!! O-U-C

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I hope your worries are unfounded. Hard to guess what is wrong when you first post says she has diarrhea and in a later post she could not make a stool sample. I am hoping that something she ate disagreed with her but she is better now that it has passed. Best wishes. Its always harder when you can't be there.

OldUgly&Cranky
Posted
Posted

i just heard from her she is on 3 type's of meds Eldicet , Hirasec & Ciprofloxcin the doc said bad bacterial diarrhea she will buy these meds today and bring a stool sample back to the hospital and they will do a stool test if it is confirmed neg she doesnt need further meds !!! anyone heard of these meds ?? THANKS O-U-C

Bruce
Posted
Posted
i just heard from her she is on 3 type's of meds Eldicet , Hirasec & Ciprofloxcin the doc said bad bacterial diarrhea she will buy these meds today and bring a stool sample back to the hospital and they will do a stool test if it is confirmed neg she doesnt need further meds !!! anyone heard of these meds ?? THANKS O-U-C
The first 2 are for parasites and the last is a broad spectrum antibiotic commonly called Cipro. More expensive that the flagyl and erythromycin, but since you are a rich foreigner.... the doctor spared no cost! Regardless of how she good feels.... she should finish 7-10 days of these. If she stops too soon, the parasites may not all die. But do make sure the doc did tell her when to STOP the meds. I have found two cases of people buying the same meds for over a month because they did not go back to the doc and so they were never told to take the meds for 7-10 days.....

OldUgly&Cranky
Posted
Posted

well here is an update , she went back to the hospital today to give her stool sample and waited for the results for 4 hours and they turned out negative so thats great news but the doc told her to buy the meds he prescribed and take them for 3 days god only knows why she would even need them if its a negative result ??? maybe just to be sure ??? anyway i guess i can be sooo great-full that it wasn't more serious then i thought thanks everyone for your thoughts and prayers and thanks again Bruce for your info on these meds it meant allot too me !!!! O-U-C

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Happy it turned out to not be that, and hope she is feeling better now.