Is President Duterte becoming more and more a dictator?

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

People were warned this would happen. He even hinted that he would. He was still elected.

Well, so far he has kept his promises. I never knew drugs were this much of a problem here. I tend to think corruption is worse than the drug problem. He is doing something about the corruption also. I do not have any problem with the way he is going about his job. Yes, lots of killings. If anyone knows how former President Marcos went about his business, you will recall he did much of the same in much the same way. He became a dictator. Yes, but he did a lot of good for the country too. The ones he killed and/or put in jail objected to the way he was doing things. Filipinos are not used to being disciplined. 

The only problem I see is with Federalism. I totally do not agree it is in the best interest of the Philippines to go down that road. Once started, there is no backing out. Federalism works in other countries but other countries do not have the problems that the Philippines has.

I'll put a final touch on my rant. What happens after his 6 years are up?  What happens if he is assassinated? 

I really do not care one way or another. I can always go back home but what are your thoughts on this subject?

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Gratefuled said:

I really do not care one way or another. I can always go back home

Ditto

• Like 2

chris49
Posted
Posted

That's why the people wanted, so be careful what you ask for.

Still very early in Duterte's presidency.

I have friends in the PNP. Philippines National Police, in general they are very happy with the new direction.

After 6 years is one hell of a great question. How old is Duterte anyway, 72?  Will he last out the 6 years healthwise or any other reason.

There is domestic policy and the equally important area of international relations. The Philippines again relies heavily on US presence as a deterrent in the China Sea dispute and on all fronts. So since that is a critical issue** currently, better not disturb that arrangement.

**Of course in saying it's a critical issue, I do consider that it's also a convenient excuse for the US to have access to bases across the Philippines. And the financial implications of that.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Guy F.
Posted
Posted

He declared a "state of emergency" rather than jumping straight to martial law. That may be a hopeful sign.

A lot of attention has been paid to the campaign against drugs but I've seen nothing about his other ideas such as prohibiting videoke after 10PM, prohibiting public drinking and so on. I'd like to know what's happening regarding those.

Is the anti-drug campaign focusing strictly on shabu or is marijuana included?

Reboot
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 8/6/2016 at 5:36 AM, Gratefuled said:

I never knew drugs were this much of a problem here. I tend to think corruption is worse than the drug problem. He is doing something about the corruption also.

In my opinion, the drug issue and the corruption issue both go hand in hand. The drug money is used to corrupt government officials...and it creates other crimes also. When junkies are broke they are liable to do anything get their fix.

This article touches on the issue:

https://pjmedia.com/richardfernandez/2016/09/06/the-dragon-comes-with-a-suitcase/?singlepage=true

"Yet Duterte's delusions are probably matched by the administration's in Washington. The biggest threat to the Philippines is not amphibious invasion but subversion by China. The enormous size of the Philippine drug problem is the result of the growing Chinese meth trade.  The local market could never support such a titanic scale of vice.  The Philippines is at risk of becoming one gigantic meth lab to feed the enormous Chinese appetite for drugs, of being to Southern China what Mexico is to the US. 

Since many of those cartel bosses are probably Communist Party leaders, the recent Chinese offer to "help" will likely expand, rather than diminish the drug war in the Philippines. Now the door is open and Beijing will lose no time in rushing in.

China has pledged to help the Philippines in the campaign against illegal drugs, with its embassy saying narcotics are "a common enemy of mankind."

In a statement to the media, Chinese Embassy spokesperson Li Lingxiao said that China "has expressed explicitly to the new administration China’s willingness for effective cooperation in this regard, and would like to work out a specific plan of action with the Philippine side."

Li said the Chinese government has been "firm and severe in drug control and in punishing all drug criminals in accordance with laws regardless their nationalities" and added it has cooperated effectively with other countries against drugs.

"Fighting against all drug-related crimes is shared responsibility of all countries in the world," Li also said.

Duterte, who has promised a bloody war against drugs and criminality in the country, said Monday that he plans to raise grievances with China over links that some Chinese nationals allegedly have with illegal drug syndicates.

Obama's framing of Duterte's drug war as a human rights problem, which it doubtless is, missed a key dimension. The drug war is the symptom of a national security problem: the narco invasion of the Philippines. The killings are a result and not the cause in themselves of the problem.  And now that the diplomatic breach has opened the door to Chinese subversion on an unprecedented scale with incalculable consequences to regional security it is likely to get worse.

"

Edited by Reboot
  • Like 1

Hey Steve
Posted
Posted

As I see it with Duterte in power now,due to his present overwhelming popularity coupled with his somewhat egotistical and outlandish leadership style, I believe he feels he can "skirt the system". In many ways  he can-and has-and will as he rides the coat tails of his vast followers. How long he can continue to push the envelope on future issues, remains to be seen. I don't believe dictatorship is in the cards though. Why go that dictator route anyway when the populous will back everything he does in whatever way he chooses to go about - even in the present political climate.

The honeymoon phase will end in due time. Malacañang will settle into some kind of groove eventually. But make a perceived bad move or wrong decision that changes people's perception of what you stand for and political viewpoints and how politicians (Duterte included) are viewed in the Philippines can change in a heartbeat as many past Presidents surely can attest to.

I think a lot will change if Robrerto takes the reigns (for whatever reason), but that's another topic, maybe for another day.

robert k
Posted
Posted

The answer to the title is there is no sign that Duterte is edging towards becoming a dictator.

What has Duterte done that is not the president's job anyway OR what he promised to do in his campaign?

Can someone name 1 thing that would substantially lead someone to believe that Duterte is moving towards becoming dictator? State of lawlessnes / state of emergency has also been proclaimed by other presidents and I think warranted due to terrorist activity?

I would like to know someone's "thoughts" on the matter but I am totally disinterested in their "feelings" on the matter. I think if there were actual thought in the matter some example would have been given. 

• Like 2

WordsandMusic
Posted
Posted

Reboot, you are a wise sage indeed! The truth was never articulated as well! South China is the Philippines Mexico. There is such a similarity in these instances to the US. of course Duterte is being being hammered by the left leaning media. He may even feel overwhelmed.

To take on a problem of such magnitude is a reflection of his love of country. Whether he is successful or is able to bring such a task to its full potential, remains to be seen. What he has done is he has brought hope to the people of the Philippines. As we all know Hope Floats! Maybe the next President will continue to weed out the real problems and continue to hold the Philippines up to the light. 

• Like 5

Hey Steve
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, robert k said:

I would like to know someone's "thoughts" on the matter but I am totally disinterested in their "feelings" on the matter. I think if there were actual thought in the matter some example would have been given. 

On my 2 points I posted about-to point out examples as to the substance behind my thoughts (not feelings) are 1- on his popularity is that he currently has a 91% approval rating from Pulse Asia and 2-regarding past Presidents-I would expand to say Erap who was ousted found guilty of plunder, Arroyo (electoral fraud), Marcos (corruption, extravagance, brutality) but hope this helps in my case .

• Like 1

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Hey Steve said:

I think a lot will change if Robrerto takes the reigns (for whatever reason), but that's another topic, maybe for another day.

It just means back to the way it was before Duterte was elected. Leni Robredo is a puppet of the Liberal Party.

• Like 1