Is President Duterte becoming more and more a dictator?

Hey Steve
Posted
Posted (edited)

Accusations that Duterte spearheaded deaths squads (never proven legally) or amassed millions through corrupt means (never proven legally) seem to be on the back burner of the populous' minds right now-and the foreseeable future. They are mere distractions and woe to the one (Delima, Roxas or the Int'l community-even the media I dare say) should they stand in his way. Hope floats, yes, I agree..but the status quo simply is not working in the minds of the people that matter. Duterte is going to drive this new ship his way-and the people seem to feel whatever that way is, will be our way too and again, woe to those that try to redirect that ship-with reason or otherwise. The people truly are mezmorized by him-and it may not be such a bad thing-we'll wait and see.

Edited by Hey Steve
  • Like 3

robert k
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Its in my post.  Follow the link.  Read where he shot someone in university simply because he was being a bully.

Edit:  For the sake of simplicity I will quote the pertinent sentence from the article:

I think i disagree with your definition of "whim". Have you read the definition of whim? I believe the shooting of someone picking on you has a definite purpose in mind. You also have to take into account the culture. If you allow one to pick on you, do you allow all to pick on you? If it was unjustified, how did the case turn out?

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, robert k said:

I think i disagree with your definition of "whim"

You got me.  That was my personal 'coloration' because I am shocked that he can get away with shooting someone due to a little hazing.  The guy lived, by the way, according to the article.  It may have given Duterte the feeling of moral high ground that says its OK to shoot people if they do things you don't like.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)

A Filipono friend on FB shared this.  He is an OFW, not that it really matters.

American talks to his Filipino friend:
Hey Felicia. I'm sorry to hear about what's going on in your country right now. Hope your family is okay.
Pinay: Why what's wrong?
Kano: Haven't you read the news? There's been a lot of killings going on. The elected President is running the country with his reign of terror. They say he is a mass murderer and he is committing genocide.
Pinay: Oh, you mean the killings? Those are legitimate police operations. Those were criminals and drug peddlers killed because they resisted arrest. Wow! Genocide? That's like killing 6 million in a holocaust. That's just too much. Don't believe that. My family has never been better. In fact, this is the happiest they've been since the new President took office.
Kano: Really? Why so?
Pinay: Yeah. Because change has come. Just barely two months and he's done so much. Did you know that we already have 911 emergency response? 600,000 drug addicts and peddlers voluntarily surrendered for rehabilitation. More than 10 mining firms closed down because of illegal operations. They're making the country self-sufficient in producing rice. Stranded OFWs were rescued in Saudi Arabia. The railway transit is being repaired and is much more efficient now. The President goes after the drug lords and corrupt politicians. The government is engaging with peace talks with the rebels. They're hunting down the terrorist group down south. Crime has gone down 49%. It's so much safer to walk the streets now.
Kano: Wow! For real? I haven't read those in the news.
Pinay: Yes. Because media outlets here only report the negative ones. Most media corporations in the Philippines are owned by oligarchs. That's why they try to bring down the President because they are scared of him.
Kano: Thanks for telling me this. No wonder Filipinos always have good things to say about your new President.
Pinay: That's right. For the first time in my life, I've seen a President that we can really trust. He has the approval of 91% of the Filipinos. Oh, and by the way. Don't believe that it's chaotic in the Philippines. We will be hosting the next Miss Universe and you can go and visit.
Kano: That would be lovely!
================
The point is. No matter how they destroy Duterte in the international community, there will always be a Filipino who will defend him and tell the truth.
Copy and post on your wall so the world may know.

Edited by Jollygoodfellow
paste as plain text please, fixed
  • Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

You got me.  That was my personal 'coloration' because I am shocked that he can get away with shooting someone due to a little hazing.  The guy lived, by the way, according to the article.  It may have given Duterte the feeling of moral high ground that says its OK to shoot people if they do things you don't like.

I have no problem with shooting many people who do things I don't like. If you shoot people who are doing something you like...well, there might be talk.

Also I presume we are talking about something in the range of 50 years ago? I also note that you didn't reply to where I said the culture is not being considered. Knowing bullies as I do, they rarely act alone, they usually bring a circle of friends/accomplices. I solved my problem by punching the bully in the mouth and turning on his friends and saying if they want to get involved I will hunt them down one by one and (not going to say the rest of it because it's pretty graphic). They still hung around with him bullying others but if he ever got within 20 feet of me they would peel off. But not everyone is me. Duterte may have had good reason for shooting his bully. If I had been in a society where there would not have been repercussions for shooting mine...mine would not have made it because I don't believe in half measures.

Edited by robert k
  • Like 3

Reboot
Posted
Posted
42 minutes ago, robert k said:

I have no problem with shooting many people who do things I don't like. If you shoot people who are doing something you like...well, there might be talk.

Also I presume we are talking about something in the range of 50 years ago? I also note that you didn't reply to where I said the culture is not being considered. Knowing bullies as I do, they rarely act alone, they usually bring a circle of friends/accomplices. I solved my problem by punching the bully in the mouth and turning on his friends and saying if they want to get involved I will hunt them down one by one and (not going to say the rest of it because it's pretty graphic). They still hung around with him bullying others but if he ever got within 20 feet of me they would peel off. But not everyone is me. Duterte may have had good reason for shooting his bully. If I had been in a society where there would not have been repercussions for shooting mine...mine would not have made it because I don't believe in half measures.

Yep. "Go tell the teacher" doesn't work. Bullies prey on the weak.  One good show of strength does.

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Back when he was still mayor, Duterte has a weekly show on television where the people were informed of what was going on in the city and the country...  It was a very informal setting with usually just the former mayor and the woman who tried, sometimes successfully, to keep him on track while asking questions to bring out further info when possible...  It was during one show that I watching that he was taking about his part in the DDS...  With a shy grin he admitted that his part was mostly just talk...  Davao when he took over was pretty wild and he needed the tough reputation to get the city turned around...  When asked if his part was a little true, 25% true, or more, he just smiled and said he still needs that reputation so...  Smart man!

As for the money..?  Former lawyer and prosecutor, former mayor...  Hmm... Pays well...  Inheritance...  And yes, his kids chip in too...  It's a family event...  And then there's the Reverend..  can't think of his name at the moment...  Apparently he's a big fan of Duterte's and, when he buys things like a new car..?  He gets one for the mayor...!  He's been asked not to but he still does...  Hehe!  Anyway, those things that aren't given away to charity are sold and the money goes to various charities and to help the poor...

• Like 2

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Reboot said:

. "Go tell the teacher" doesn't work. Bullies prey on the weak.  One good show of strength does.

Bullies take advantage of the weak. That's why they are called "bullies". if someone shows lack of fear and confronts them with courage the bullies will be less likely to bully a person. It's that way all over.

• Like 2

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Hey Steve said:

Accusations that Duterte spearheaded deaths squads (never proven legally)

Duterte bragged about the killing of drug users and dealers but at a later date, he said "prove it". 

No one can prove it. 

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
32 minutes ago, Gratefuled said:

No one can prove it. 

They never will, as long as he is controlling the judicial System  :huh:

Jack :smile:

Morning All :morning1:

• Like 1