Is President Duterte becoming more and more a dictator?

Reboot
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Gratefuled said:

I read somewhere that "absolute power corrupts". How true it is, I don't know. There may be exceptions because after all it's just a saying.

Lord Acton's famous words..and usually true..human nature being what it is.

• Like 1

Reboot
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I'm more interested in how the money got 'Into' his own pocket.  Being a mayor pay pretty good these days?

He lives modestly they say. Hasn't enriched himself through his office. I am just relaying what I've heard.

• Like 2

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Reboot said:

Lord Acton's famous words..and usually true..human nature being what it is.

"USUALLY"  but not always. President Duterte may be that exception

• Like 1

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Reboot said:

He lives modestly they say. Hasn't enriched himself through his office. I am just relaying what I've heard.

You heard right. Modesty compared to former President Aquino.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, Reboot said:

He lives modestly they say.

He must, to accumulate 200 Million Pesos on a mayor's salary.  I wonder how many other mayors come close.

. . . he said friends gave him money as birthday gift. . .

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/782384/duterte-i-have-less-than-p200m-in-bank#ixzz4JcgoYsKT

• Like 2

Reboot
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

He must, to accumulate 200 Million Pesos on a mayor's salary.  I wonder how many other mayors come close.

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/782384/duterte-i-have-less-than-p200m-in-bank#ixzz4JcgoYsKT

It's hard to be sure once you're dealing with so many zeroes! :hystery:

• Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted
On 8/6/2016 at 4:36 AM, Gratefuled said:

The only problem I see is with Federalism. I totally do not agree it is in the best interest of the Philippines to go down that road. Once started, there is no backing out. Federalism works in other countries but other countries do not have the problems that the Philippines has.

Not true, the US started out as federated states with no strong central government. It would be one solution to the corruption of the centralized government, they would no longer have the power to sell the population out. Every little polity would be able to cut their own deal with foreign investors.

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Dave, since you know so much about Duterte's finances, perhaps you could tell us how much money he inherited from his father?

If one has seed money to start with when one is young, by the time you reach the 70 year range it wouldn't be surprising that you had a chunk of money. Maybe Duterte was able to take advantage of those incredible rural bank interest rates? 

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, robert k said:

Maybe

And that's the problem.  Everyone who reports on Duterte's finances says "maybe" because he is not being straightforward about it.  In a culture that thrives on corruption, Duterte knows that question is going to be on everyone's mind.  Why not full disclosure if its something as simple as inheritance?  It is ludicrous for him to suggest he will get rid of corruption when he will not even vaguely explain where his vast sums come from.  I believe in keeping things simple.  If a person won't explain where they got their money from then the simplest explanation is an illegal source.  

Would you have us believe he is unfaithful in his marriage, shoots people on a whim but is impeccably in-corruptible with his sources of income?  Ludicrous I say.

In truth, I care not where he got the money from.  I'm just not good at swallowing BS and being told its sugar. :cornflakes:

• Like 3

robert k
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

And that's the problem.  Everyone who reports on Duterte's finances says "maybe" because he is not being straightforward about it.  In a culture that thrives on corruption, Duterte knows that question is going to be on everyone's mind.  Why not full disclosure if its something as simple as inheritance?  It is ludicrous for him to suggest he will get rid of corruption when he will not even vaguely explain where his vast sums come from.  I believe in keeping things simple.  If a person won't explain where they got their money from then the simplest explanation is an illegal source.  

Would you have us believe he is unfaithful in his marriage, shoots people on a whim but is impeccably in-corruptible with his sources of income?  Ludicrous I say.

In truth, I care not where he got the money from.  I'm just not good at swallowing BS and being told its sugar. :cornflakes:

Dave I don't want to know your finances but feel free to post them here. Just like Duterte, you have the choice to do so or not. 

I think what you are saying is guilty until proven innocent. I wouldn't have expected that from you.

If someone wants to know where Duterte's money came from they can investigate just like they could for anyone else. Duterte doesn't have to give the press his financial information, it's their job to find out if they want to know. If they have a right to see Duterte's financial information they should start a court case to compel him to release the information to them.

• Like 2