Is President Duterte becoming more and more a dictator?

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, WordsandMusic said:

Maybe the next President will continue to weed out the real problems and continue to hold the Philippines up to the light. 

Maybe and maybe not. Maybe President Duterte may just decide that the job is not yet finished when his term is up and decide to remain in power. Maybe, just maybe the people will allow it. Just needs to amend some rules about term limits of the president.

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

The biggest problem facing President Duterte is the press...  Even before taking office, the press was misquoting him...  Taking pot shots at his agenda...  Misrepresenting the things he was doing daily...  It got so bad that he threatened to bar the press...  Now that he's elected, it continues...  The world press is just picking up these same stories without validating accuracy or truth...  And foreign governments are acting from what they read in the press...  An example?  Obama cancelling his meeting with Duterte a couple days ago... Why?  The Americans are up in arms over Duterte "calling Obama a son of a whore"...   Problem is - he didn't..!  He used it as an explitative in the middle of a statement...  Same idea as this: "I'm mad at those barking dogs... Damn...  Son of a bi+ch...  Shi+...  What do you want me to do..?".  But nobody in Obama's bumbuddies looked twice at anything but slanted press releases...  Duterte even went as far a 1) calling Obama to explain what was really said (but Obama was too busy with his hurt feelings to listen) and 2) issued a public apology for the misunderstanding and accepted the blame for it...  Even after this has passed, the press is still on Duterte's case...  Editorials calling for his resignation...  Trying to make it sound like he's going for Martial Law...  Building up this who oppose him...  Case in point..?  Look at a certain further head of the DOJ who is under investigation over supporting certain drug lord while imprisoned...  One piece of evidence is certain bank accounts with millions of pesos in them...  The press keeps going to the people and reporting that they "don't know anything about any bank account...  It's not mine..." and tridentine this as the truth...  Let's prove this woman is not guilty by innuendo in the press and blame Duterte again...  No trial or hearings required...  And, going back to the international press, they are reporting these stories factual...  It doesn't matter what President Duterte has done or will do, the press will skew it so Duterte is evil...  I feel sorry for the man...  He didn't want to be president but too many said they needed him...  And all he gets is grief...  In my opinion he's already done more for the Philippines than any other recent president...  But somebody wrote and published he's a bad man...  So it must be true...

• Like 4

i am bob
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, Gratefuled said:

Maybe and maybe not. Maybe President Duterte may just decide that the job is not yet finished when his term is up and decide to remain in power. Maybe, just maybe the people will allow it. Just needs to amend some rules about term limits of the president.

I don't think he will...  He's already said that if he accomplishes what he wants to do, or if he's blocked from doing these things, he'll be happy to resign before his term is up...  He really is a reluctant to be there president...

• Like 1

MacBubba
Posted
Posted

I heard a new term to describe irresponsible journalists.  It's a play on the word "press" - or, "prestitutes".

• Like 5

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, i am bob said:

I don't think he will...  He's already said that if he accomplishes what he wants to do, or if he's blocked from doing these things, he'll be happy to resign before his term is up...  He really is a reluctant to be there president.

You know as well as I do that President Duterte is known to change his mind, retract statements and apologize for speaking without thinking.

• Like 1

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, MacBubba said:

I heard a new term to describe irresponsible journalists.  It's a play on the word "press" - or, "prestitutes".

Good one. The press is world renown to skew the truth, misquote and sensationalize the news. It's what sells.

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Gratefuled said:

You know as well as I do that President Duterte is known to change his mind, retract statements and apologize for speaking without thinking.

Yeah, but don't forget he's got his significant other and their 12 year old daughter waiting at home for him...  Along with his other children and grandchildren...  That is why, if nothing is pressing on weekends?  He pays out of his own pocket to fly home on weekends...

• Like 1

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, i am bob said:

He pays out of his own pocket to fly home on weekends...

I did not know this.

i am bob
Posted
Posted
Just now, Gratefuled said:

I did not know this.

You'd be surprised what he pays for on his own...  He's helped families of military who have been killed, people needing medical care, he even has a Christmas Party for the kids of poor families with presents and lots of food...  It's held very close my old apartment in Central Park so i got to witness this one first hand...

• Like 4

Reboot
Posted
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, i am bob said:

You'd be surprised what he pays for on his own...  He's helped families of military who have been killed, people needing medical care, he even has a Christmas Party for the kids of poor families with presents and lots of food...  It's held very close my old apartment in Central Park so i got to witness this one first hand...

The people there love him for this sort of thing, and the fact that he lives pretty simply, and is plain spoken. He's a populist.

Edited by Reboot
  • Like 3