Is President Duterte becoming more and more a dictator?

i am bob
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, Reboot said:

The people there love him for this sort of thing, and the fact that he lives pretty simply, and is plain spoken. He's a populist.

That's just the way he is... His momma told him years ago it was his duty look after those who needed him...  And he would never do anything willingly that his momma wouldn't approve of...

• Like 2

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, i am bob said:

You'd be surprised what he pays for on his own...  He's helped families of military who have been killed, people needing medical care, he even has a Christmas Party for the kids of poor families with presents and lots of food...  It's held very close my old apartment in Central Park so i got to witness this one first hand

Yes, I have heard of his good deeds to those families who are in need. When he was mayor and so now it should not surprise me of how he takes care of the poor. Thanks for reminding me.

• Like 2

Reboot
Posted
Posted
19 minutes ago, Gratefuled said:

Yes, I have heard of his good deeds to those families who are in need. When he was mayor and so now it should not surprise me of how he takes care of the poor. Thanks for reminding me.

Yep. He treats the lower classes with dignity, even the prostitutes. Just so long as they aren't pushers.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, i am bob said:

He pays out of his own pocket

I'm more interested in how the money got 'Into' his own pocket.  Being a mayor pay pretty good these days?

• Like 2

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

At this time I'll add a little something about dictators. 

Hitler was one and the people loved him. Too bad for Germany that he tried to bite off more than he could chew.

Some countries that have been taken over by force from within have succeeded. I said "some".

Communist China is now a world power.

Vietnam is another through revolution. They kicked out the French and then forced the US to leave.

Others have tried and others have failed. Just one revolution after another. Their economy suffers.

President Duterte has the majority of the people on his side and most approve of his tactics. We just have to wait and see if he succeeds in improving the economy after dealing with crime, corruption, and drugs.

• Like 1

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Reboot said:

Yep. He treats the lower classes with dignity, even the prostitutes. Just so long as they aren't pushers.

So, maybe he should start a war on STDs. HIV Aids is a big problem in the Philippines.

There is a way to control STD but it takes discipline. Something most people do not have.

Edited by Gratefuled
addition
  • Like 2

Reboot
Posted
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Gratefuled said:

So, maybe he should start a war on STDs. HIV Aids is a big problem in the Philippines.

"DAVAO CITY – A pimp prepares her six wards in short dresses for the night's work on a dimly-lit street here, confident that despite conservative scorn, their mayor, who will be president in less than a month, is looking after their welfare.

Around 600 prostitutes in this southern metropolis ruled by President-elect Rodrigo Duterte for over two decades get free sexually-transmitted disease (STD) screening, condoms, and lubricants as long as they register with the city health department and get their pink identification cards.

Just days after Congress affirmed his win, Duterte checked on a group of sex workers to make sure that no one was threatening them and that they were getting regular check-ups, said 40-year-old pimp “Marie,” a retired streetwalker.

“He doesn't want people fooling us. But he also tells us to behave. Even if we have this job, we have to remain clean. It's fair play,” Marie told ABS-CBN News"

http://news.abs-cbn.com/focus/06/06/16/sex-workers-get-care-not-condemnation-from-duterte

Edited by Reboot
  • Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Gratefuled said:

At this time I'll add a little something about dictators. 

Hitler was one and the people loved him.

This raises a good point.  A person does not need to seize power to be a dictator.  Hitler was elected, then took the reins of absolute power, which is why he is considered a dictator.

So long as Duterte rules with absolute power, that means no one changes his edicts (not even the president of the US or the Philippine Supreme Court) then he is a dictator.

When and if Duterte's 'proclamations' are challenged and defied then we shall see if he is a real dictator or a wannabe.

• Like 1

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Reboot said:

"DAVAO CITY – A pimp prepares her six wards in short dresses for the night's work on a dimly-lit street here, confident that despite conservative scorn, their mayor, who will be president in less than a month, is looking after their welfare.

Around 600 prostitutes in this southern metropolis ruled by President-elect Rodrigo Duterte for over two decades get free sexually-transmitted disease (STD) screening, condoms, and lubricants as long as they register with the city health department and get their pink identification cards.

Just days after Congress affirmed his win, Duterte checked on a group of sex workers to make sure that no one was threatening them and that they were getting regular check-ups, said 40-year-old pimp “Marie,” a retired streetwalker.

“He doesn't want people fooling us. But he also tells us to behave. Even if we have this job, we have to remain clean. It's fair play,” Marie told ABS-CBN News"

http://news.abs-cbn.com/focus/06/06/16/sex-workers-get-care-not-condemnation-from-duterte

That's a start but like I said, it takes self discipline. 

• Like 2

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

So long as Duterte rules with absolute power, that means no one changes his edicts (not even the president of the US or the Philippine Supreme Court) then he is a dictator.

I read somewhere that "absolute power corrupts". How true it is, I don't know. There may be exceptions because after all it's just a saying.

• Like 1