Expats... Name one thing not found in Philippines

virginprune
Posted
Posted

Things I can't find are self-raising flour, fresh coriander ( cilantro ) and cider. I can live without them though, it's all part of the fun of adjustment.

Steve GCC
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, virginprune said:

Things I can't find are self-raising flour, fresh coriander ( cilantro ) and cider. I can live without them though, it's all part of the fun of adjustment.

Cider, no Cider..........OMG what will i do!!!  Better get that 7 day cider recipe out from days in Saudi Arabia -

• Like 1

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted

Logic

jpbago
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Queenie O. said:

You can only use them in-country though I think..

BDO has had debit cards for more than 5 years and they can be used in Canada at Scotiabank atms for withdrawals (I never tried doing a deposit). Mine has the Mastercard symbol/logo on the front but it is not activated (I don't think it is but I have never tried to use it as a credit card).

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, jpbago said:

BDO has had debit cards for more than 5 years and they can be used in Canada at Scotiabank atms for withdrawals (I never tried doing a deposit). Mine has the Mastercard symbol/logo on the front but it is not activated (I don't think it is but I have never tried to use it as a credit card).

You cant use a debit card as a credit card. The mastercard logo simply means you can use it wherever mastercard is accepted but of course it's your own money you are using. 

• Like 3

jpbago
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

Sugar soap; For washing Walls before Painting.  Sugarsoap.jpg

Is that the same as tri sodium phosphate? It is used for washing walls before painting as well as an additive in Cheerios and other foods.

Tri sodium phosphate is a strong chemical typically used as a cleaning agent, food additive, stain remover and degreaser. Commonly sold as a white powder, TSP is also known as trisodium orthophosphate or sodium phosphate. Formerly, you would find this chemical used in a variety of soaps and detergents, but manufacturers no longer use TSP in these products due to ecological concerns.

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Steve GCC said:

1 hour ago, virginprune said:

Cider, no Cider..........OMG what will i do!!!  Better get that 7 day cider recipe out from days in Saudi Arabia -

Cider....... Steve and Virginprune, I miss cider too! The closest thing to the essence is the Bragg brand Organic Apple Cider Vinegar. :smile: Hey I'd like that recipe too! Martinelli's Apple Juice tastes sort of like unfermented cider We can find Cilantro here in Cebu. Organic flour at S & R but so far no self-rising...

• Like 1

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted

This coming dry season, my hope is to start a kitchen garden of herb plants in pots in a sunny place on my terrace. There is a herb place that sells a lot of plants I've read about in Cebu, and two other organic places.  For me. herb plants are something that I always grew, and it would be like having old friends back in my yard. That's something I never thought I'd see here.

• Like 1

Steve GCC
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, Queenie O. said:

Cider....... Steve and Virginprune, I miss cider too! The closest thing to the essence is the Bragg brand Organic Apple Cider Vinegar. :smile: Hey I'd like that recipe too! Martinelli's Apple Juice tastes sort of like unfermented cider We can find Cilantro here in Cebu. Organic flour at S & R but so far no self-rising...

ok Queenie.........here goes, follow carefully ;)

We used to brew it in a water cooler bottle which was I suppose around 10 litres.

We bought carton apple juice, try to get which ever one is natural with least e numbers and preservatives.

Get your water bottle, say a 5l one, disinfect under hot water, not boiling as will melt!  Pour cider into it, if 5l bottle put 4l in it, then add say 1/2 pound of sugar, a couple of teaspoons of yeast, we never had brewing yeast so just added baking yeast in KSA!!!

Put hand over top of bottle and shake vigorously. Then get a condom, unroll it and put it over bottle top, pierce a small hole in top of condom with pin and leave it for 10-14 days.  Condom keeps it sterile and also erects while fermenting and deflates once done.

Now syphon off and drink.

We used to syphon into another water cooler bottle and chuck it on the cooler -

If want stronger, little more sugar and yeast on next recipe.

If want clearer, let it settle longer, syphon as above, then pour into another container through coffee filters.  We never did this as had usually run out.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I find that San Miguel Apple Flavored Beer is quite like the Apple Cider I am used to back home.  Each to their own.

• Like 2