Living her dream Hating her dream

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted

I have been in 49 of 50 states and 2 countries in Central America 1 territory and all but one province in Canada 5 South American countries and except for Portugal I have done western Europe. Briefly visited two east Asian counties and looked  at Turkey. Traveled the Caribbean from Trinidad to St. Croix.  I have returned to live in one place three times spaning 8 years lived in one area for 11 years and closing on the home we are living in now after 8 years, will move to a rental buy and fix or build a place I can rent buy the season here on the coast. which should net about 10k per year move to Fe's town build small place w/i 2 years (she will get SS in 18 months) still have a bit of a fund and wait for 4-5 years to sell house in states and get condo in Lakes region (central Fl) to spend summers.  All this should count me done to last 10-15.  If it doesn't work I told my youngest (in Boston getting married in fall) I would move into her front yard in a cardboard box.  Mass pays better than any state for food hospitals housing and spending $$.  Afterall I will have done nothing to deserve it, so should get almost as much as an Illegal. Anyway Steve buck up grow a pair.

Let you buy the first round.

I need another adventure how bout you? 

• Like 5

RBM
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, stevewool said:

England has done me well so far, it's got me to where I am , yes there are things I am not keen on anymore ,but for now it helps me get to where I think I would like to be,

Things can change Steve with your SO even yourself. Just a few years ago when living in Consolation well before my accident my SO would rarely watch TV, we used to laugh a out our ex pat friends saying there live with their SO revolved around trivial soap operas. Steve unless you have been unfortunate enough to view a few minutes of this crap one could not understand.

Anyway now back on my point, I am slightly restricted since accident and not as active,  coupled with the extream late summer guess what....

So just be prepared, changes can, do happen, most Filipinas refuse to go out in hot sun. Few seem avid readers, soaps are readily available.

As pointed out it would be fool hardy in most cases to live near ones family.

• Like 2

RBM
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Gratefuled said:

Yes, I can move back and I'm going to with or without her. No bridges to burn. I've been here 6 years now and I have made up my mind. I'm not waiting around any longer. Now, if she will not come with me and at least see what its like then I'll have to say "adios". I'm not hen pecked and I've tolerated this hell hole long enough. 

I'm going back to 3 seasons, snow in the mountains, electricity and running water 24 hours a day every day. Back where I don't have to go to the mall to get half way decent groceries. Back to where there are great restaurants, great amusement parks, great professional sports stadiums, great television and internet service. Back where there are great places to vacation without leaving the country. Back where there are great beaches within an hours drive. Back where I can drive my car again. Back where I can visit my long time  friends and expect them to come around as well. Back where I can see my grand children grow up. Back where there are family reunions Christmas, Easter, New Years, birthday parties, weddings. Back where I can fly the stars and stripes without worrying that I might offend someone. 

I can go on and on but you get the picture. I gave up a lot but enough is enough. 

Gratefuled  I have read many of your posts with amusement an curiosity, we all have our ups and downs here, lot depends where we live. Just as an example, we have fantastic water, power, shopping and parks. Just internet sucks a bit.

Why not do a post sometime on you pros and cons, presuming there are some pros.

• Like 1

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
47 minutes ago, RBM said:

Why not do a post sometime on you pros and cons, presuming there are some pros.

I have.

Many of my posts have been of good experiences here. I am friends with my neighbours and we often play cards. I taught them to play dominoes and I play Monopoly with my stepsons friends and sometime with my next door neighbour.

I have mentioned the honesty and hospitality of many here. 

Pay attention and you will see. Do not assume all my posts are negative.

• Like 1

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, CoffeeRulzMe said:

Been here 6 years you say?  A lot has changed in the USA

For your information, I go back once a year. I know what its like. I've been to Dodger games with my son and grand children. I know of the crime and inflation and protests. Furthermore, wife has agreed to go back with me. If she doesn't like it, she is free to return. 

Yes, and for Robert K. There is a lot of anti-US sentiment here in Mindanao. there are posters on walls, there are spray paintings on walls about US troops and US Imperialists. One does not know who is anti-American and who is not. 

Davao City is not so far away from Marawi, where the Maute militants have devastated  the city of over 200,000. 

stevewool
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, mogo51 said:

Again Steve, here is some very sound advice.  I think I have moved more than Dave for various reasons.  But my big move was O/S and overall it has been well worth the effort.  But I am over where I am now in Thailand and moving on.  

If you go ahead and move to where wife's family resides, you will be jumping out of the frying pan into the fire - you can almost be assured of that.  There is evidence already that you will be harassed beyond fair by family with their hands out.  It will only get worse.

Over the years you have put many posts on the forum raising all sorts of reasons why you can't come to the Phils.  Dave may well be right, perhaps you really don't want to leave where you are.  If so, stay there and be happy, that is the most important thing at our stage of life.

Living with the father and Brother for how ever long is just the start and the feel for the place, its rent free to a certain extent and i know its a base as we have a few friends in different parts to go and see.

Marikina is not where i want to stay for ever and Emma knows that, but as i have only been on holiday over there i am not jumping into i want to live there or there or here until i know its a place for ever.

We are lucky in a way we could go to many places , and like i have said never working or living abroad like many others i am a little worried to venture into the unknown .

But England is not a place where i want to end my years .

stevewool
Posted
Posted

End of the day we all have choices and we all can make that choice too, we cannot blame anyone else for what does not work out for each of us.

If its not a place for me , well i or we shall move to another place, thats if funds will allow us to do that.

I am sure if it is something that is making me feel angry and hating a place i call home i will  move with or without Emma who i love dearly and would miss too.

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, sonjack2847 said:

Why don`t you come over and try the place for a few months.Keep a door open so you can jump back through like Gratefuled is doing.

We will be moving over for as long as we can Kev,

Once i finish work there is no going back to any sort of work i have done my bit , so the world is our oyster so they say, maybe not  oyster money more like a bag of winkles money,

The door will always be open well for the next 20 years until the house has changed names , but a lot can happy in 20 years

• Like 2