Living her dream Hating her dream

RBM
Posted
Posted
On 5/31/2017 at 5:48 PM, bigpearl said:

We are going to live only 40 mins from the 5,000 relatives but already they 

When all said and done it will be interesting to see what happens when we are living just up the road. Time will tell.

Cheers, Steve.

While I certainly do not disagree with your comments Steve be curious to know your reaction once the emergency kicks in. Typically medical and unfortunately frequently a life and death situation.....

• Like 1

Nickleback99
Posted
Posted

We did another (bit short)  trip to Palawan in April for vacay and to ck out city of PP again, but still seems too small for me, although appears on brink of rapid growth and I've "heard" an international airport coming.  Bigger thing though is our extended family is there on Lolo's side, and that gives me greater pause as well, for the obvious reasons.  Of course since we plan to take care of Lolo and Lola in the long run and They'd like to go back there to stay, it's pushed a little harder.  I'm firm though we are starting out in Dumaguete for few months to see how goes, although Asawa does not speak Visayan (but is supportive of going there)  as I like what I see regarding the expat community there, on line at least.  Lola is Visayan though and that could help as well.   For school reasons, Sta Rosa is also consideration in future, along w/ Subic...we'll see.   Anyway, If you make the move to Palawan, I'll be interested in your thoughts and observations along the way.   Best of luck!

• Like 2

bigpearl
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, RBM said:

While I certainly do not disagree with your comments Steve be curious to know your reaction once the emergency kicks in. Typically medical and unfortunately frequently a life and death situation.....

Thanks for reminding us (and I mean all readers) RBM but I/we can assure you even living in Oz we get the financial requests,,,,,,, not for years now from distant relatives anymore but direct family????? Sometimes, as said in other posts we help our direct family if and when needed, we support medical needs and little else, God helps those that help themselves etc, distant relatives (cousins, uncles, outlaws and friends) don't bother asking as they know the answer. Hard yes/no? Reality? Training started 6 years ago and when we move to our house there, some 40 minutes from the relatives I expect nothing to change, the ground rules are set in concrete and my better half agrees.

I see/read budgets given/suggested to the SO and understand that while some people cannot budget most can including Filipinos, budgets/cost of living comes with communication and education, My better half has a fetish for Nike shoes/runners, LOL as well as other brands, some 60 plus pairs of footwear (Imelda, he is a long way from your collection) over 6 years? Nada. He doesn't drink smoke, gamble buy rubbish, we live well and he sees why,,,,,, finally. (took awhile) Love, trust and communication, lay the cards on the table, open and honest, I did that for 22 years with my ex wife and she did that for me, we are still good friends, insecurity, ego and negative thoughts are a cancer that will eat your life away.

Shoes, facials, O/S holidays, the Maserati in the garage mean absolutely nothing if you are not on the same page. In Oz I drink JD, Bengie buys shoes, his hobby is cheaper than mine, in the Philippines I drink Emperador/San Mig the same as the locals, works for me/us and at the end of the day we know the limits because we talk about it, our future, who knows where we will be at in 5, 10, 20 years, at the moment we are one and work through the ups and downs for our relationship and rationalise requests from family who are well the wiser (now) that we are not a gold mine. Looking fwd to our future in the Philippines, family bitches and all.

Cheers, Steve. 

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, bigpearl said:

Looking fwd to our future in the Philippines, family bitches and all.

:thumbsup: Best of Luck mate, most have been there and Done that :huh:

bigpearl
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

:thumbsup: Best of Luck mate, most have been there and Done that :huh:

TY Jack, looking forward to the challenges, no different to my family here in Oz. Easy to say "been there done" that but reality strikes those that least expect it and like others I'm sure it will nail me again and again but in the interim? Gods speed.

Cheers Steve.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, bigpearl said:

TY Jack, looking forward to the challenges,

Loving her Family is easy and Great, Living with them or having them Close to hand is a TOTALLY different story But YMMV :thumbsup:

Let us know in a year or so how things panned out :smile:

bigpearl
Posted
Posted
52 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Loving her Family is easy and Great, Living with them or having them Close to hand is a TOTALLY different story But YMMV :thumbsup:

Let us know in a year or so how things panned out :smile:

Sounds like you are having a great time with your family there, hope I don't suffer the same, I put the wheels in motion years ago and I am sure I will enjoy. YMMV.

Cheers, Steve.

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Never had a problem with my in laws.I have friends who are always asked for money even though they both set up the in laws in business.

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, Maxheadspace said:

Yes!  My thinking exactly.  My wife's family is in the Quezon City area (metro Manila)...we are looking (at least at first) of moving to Palawan. 

That should work.