Internet Service - What are the acceptable options?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
33 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Where the heck is that?  Can you post the link?

https://www.smartdnsproxy.com/PreSignUp

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

That must be the correct link. When I clicked it I ended up on my account page.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, AlwaysRt said:

Umm strangely enough, no. Now that I have signed up clicking on 'Pricing' takes me to my account page. The 'Pricing' link is in the fine print at the bottom of the page of their website.

OK, thanks, I didn't see that at the bottom of the page.

• Like 1

Markham
Posted
Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, Benington said:

I'm also using Smart DNS Proxy, Markham, but may I ask if you have you experienced any problems with viewing on BBC iPlayer over the last few days? I have ie not allowed to view. It was seemingly fixed by them last Friday, but recurred today.

For me the only hiccup occurred a couple of weeks ago when the BBC began to enforce its user accounts system and you now need to login in order to use iPlayer. However I am aware that the BBC will soon be requiring its online viewers to prove they are license holders by proving name and address details they can check; they received approval for this with their renewed charter.

Smart DNS has several VPN servers in the UK, the one I use is in Hull (I think!), which you can try if its standard proxy service fails

Edited by Markham

Benington
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Markham said:

For me the only hiccup occurred a couple of weeks ago when the BBC began to enforce its user accounts system and you now need to login in order to use iPlayer. However I am aware that the BBC will soon be requiring its online viewers to prove they are license holders by proving name and address details they can check; they received approval for this with their renewed charter.

Smart DNS has several VPN servers in the UK, the one I use is in Hull (I think!), which you can try if its standard proxy service fails

Yes, their 2 year offer was very cheap and tempting, but I think linkage to having a TV licence is in the offing, so I just went for a year with them. Then I expect there will be ways around it if that ever materializes.

On the second day of non-operation with me, and according to them others somewhere. They say their engineers are working on it, but if this drags on I will ask about the VPN. So far their support has been excellent, but this is a real test. Had it last year and it never failed.

Markham
Posted
Posted

Setting-up a VPN is very simple and full instructions are provided - click on "VPN" on your account page.

Benington
Posted
Posted

Oh yes! Thank you. I was under the impression it was a separate service. I'll try it.

Did you try the Proxy?

You're using the Hull Smart server. They also have a London Smart server? Did you compare?

robert k
Posted
Posted

I watched a video last night by a man who changed condos in Cebu. He knew there was a problem with internet but decided he could find a work around when the time came. Globe was the sole supplier to the condo because they had installed the wires when it was built and Globe was not selling any more DSL service in that area. Full up, no room at the inn. 

So this guy goes to Globe and buys their Tattoo pocket wifi and pays for service plan and gets capped at 800MB. He didn't like that so he goes to Smart and buys their broadband wifi that plugs into the wall for 2k pesos and finds that he is capped at 800MB.

The broadband he is picking up actually has better speed than his DSL that he was paying for in his previous condo! Just not enough of it.

I used to just load my phone and tether to my laptop with no plan 5 pesos for each 15 minutes segment of unlimited high speed internet, unlimited being no cap. You do have to remember to turn off the data when not in use.

I put my phone in my pocket one time without the screen being locked and data got turned on and it wasted about 200 pesos worth of data connection but that took 10 hours, most phones would have gone dead long before then but my phone had a 5k mah battery, not likely most people would use up 200 pesos worth accidentally.

If they ever did start capping the pay as you go? You could just change sims. I've DL 6GB of files for 50 pesos. Philippine broadband plans are often the most expensive for the least service.

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted
On 8/8/2017 at 6:22 PM, Jack Peterson said:

Internet Service - What are the acceptable options?

There Are no real acceptable Options we get (Nearly) what we pay for end of :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

That very eloquently sums it up Jack from what I can see so far.  I am about to get the Jollies cut off for optic fibre 3000 pesos installation, 1500 pm and no happy ending!!!!!

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, robert k said:

I've DL 6GB of files for 50 pesos. Philippine broadband plans are often the most expensive for the least service.

Works even better with a LTE router and external antenna. Using the same strategy I can usually get between 30Gb and 45Gb on 50 pesos.