Balik-bayan Boxes

aerosick
Posted
Posted

The cheapest (yet reliable) we have found here on the Left Coast (Los Angeles, CA) is Johnny Air Cargo.Their boxes are $3.00 each and $45.00 to ship to Cebu. These boxes are 17"x20"x23". The shippers here are always running specials, but for the last 2 years this is the best we've found.Billy

• Like 1

paul
Posted
Posted

Years ago, I'm talking the mid 90's now, many things were not available here, as they were in the west. However, over time, many more "western" creature comforts, from foods to home furnishings, have become available in the Philippines.So, nowadays, the only things I would suggest sending over to the Philippines, would be personal affects that you would want to keep, for any given reason. The other things would be electronics that you have already purchased, and which can plug directly into the wall power points here. Most electronics will do just that, in todays world. However, if you need to run a drop down transformer, similar to the ones you will see on this page: http://www."another forum".com/electric/you shouldn't consider bringing them over. The drop down transformers simply are not efficient. This will cause your electric bill to run unnecessarily high. However, many appliances that can be found in say Australia or New Zealand will work here fine, after only converting the plug to the 2 prong flat blade style. This is similar to what is used in the US.HTH

Tatoosh
Posted
Posted

I don't agree that you should only buy here for electronic items. A lot of what they sell here is junk or third and fourth rate electronics. Not all, to be sure, but much of it. You aren't going find really cutting edge computers here that are anywhere near affordable. And games like the PS3 are both 120v and regional when it comes to playing blu-ray movies. You can't buy an Oppo dvd player for love nor money here. A nice Maytag gas dryer (if you really set up house keeping here) takes 120v electrical, not 220v and to protect the electronics in it from the occasional brown out surge and voltage fluxuations a surge protector is really wise. The best deal is a good UPS from the states that plugs into a step down transformer. Don't fly the darned thing over, but rather ship it balak biyan. I wish I had bought one or two. For 220v stuff, Paul is right, you can buy good ones here in the Philippines. You can't get good cookware and most kitchen appliances are so so at best. You can get Kitchen Aid mixer here, but they don't import Kitchen Aid or Cuisinart food processors (though they can be bought in Singapore or Hong Kong). I did see a Chef's Choice electric knife sharpener for sale in Manila. For shipping I have used LBC, Forex and Manila Forwarders. All of them worked out fine. Sometimes delivery was a bit longer (a few weeks) than their estimates but it all arrived in good shape. Shipping from Australia is quite expensive using standard carriers. Same from the USA. When possible, balik bayan is the best choice.

paul
Posted
Posted
The cheapest (yet reliable) we have found here on the Left Coast (Los Angeles, CA) is Johnny Air Cargo.Their boxes are $3.00 each and $45.00 to ship to Cebu. These boxes are 17"x20"x23". The shippers here are always running specials, but for the last 2 years this is the best we've found.Billy
I have seen one of their offices here in Cebu. But, I don't know that I have ever been inside - maybe once. Anyway, that is a hell of a deal! Here is their website, for anyone concerned: http://www.johnnyair.com

• 1 month later...
tom_shor
Posted
Posted
Use Manila Forwarders (or possibly Forwarding?) for Balikbayan Box shipping. They have proven to be quite reliable, over the years.
I am in the box business myself. They had some trouble with the Manila Forwarders local agent here. Apparently he picked up a bunch of peoples boxes then spent the money on something else. The boxes that made it to LA were eventually shipped by the company at no additional charge because needless to say the customers were unhappy. However some sat in storage in Phoenix for several months because the guy would neither ship them(He had no money) nor return them. I know about this because several of his customers are now my customers. This is not the whole company but just their local agent in Phoenix that is the problem. So problems can crop up anywhere in shipping no matter what company you use. Glad your stuff made it there Mike. From Phoenix it normally takes about 6 weeks.

tropicalwaste
Posted
Posted
Use Manila Forwarders (or possibly Forwarding?) for Balikbayan Box shipping. They have proven to be quite reliable, over the years.
I am in the box business myself. They had some trouble with the Manila Forwarders local agent here. Apparently he picked up a bunch of peoples boxes then spent the money on something else. The boxes that made it to LA were eventually shipped by the company at no additional charge because needless to say the customers were unhappy. However some sat in storage in Phoenix for several months because the guy would neither ship them(He had no money) nor return them. I know about this because several of his customers are now my customers. This is not the whole company but just their local agent in Phoenix that is the problem. So problems can crop up anywhere in shipping no matter what company you use. Glad your stuff made it there Mike. From Phoenix it normally takes about 6 weeks.
Hi Tom, drop me an email as i might have a contact for you to help your business and interlink you into theyre network.

tropicalwaste
Posted
Posted

There are plenty of different companies that operate out of the UK to Philippines im currently using Nettrex and found Javid to be a good guy to deal with. They are based in London but can carry out collections in various parts of the UK. Its looking at around 2 month turn round.

AngelofBroden
Posted
Posted

Do you have an agent or office in Arkansas?

brock
Posted
Posted
There are plenty of different companies that operate out of the UK to Philippines im currently using Nettrex and found Javid to be a good guy to deal with. They are based in London but can carry out collections in various parts of the UK. Its looking at around 2 month turn round.
I contacted nettrex and they quoted me for a box ( 34" 27" 23" ) 145 plus 145 insurance from UK to Cebu City,290 total, seems very expensive to me.Brock.

tom_shor
Posted
Posted
Do you have an agent or office in Arkansas?
No sorry I'm about as far east as they go.